Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motorhome or 5th Wheel - Pros & Cons for each

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  682LINY 
#1 ·
Since I know many of you own and use RVs I am looking for an experienced view on a Motorhome vs a 5th wheel RV. I am sure ya'll have allot to say about each..

Thanks KK

#2 ·
I've had two RV's, 28' and 40'. I don't think I ever got my monies worth out of either of them. If I was to buy again I'd go with about a 24-28ft 5th wheel (with slides). Much less up front cost, lower maintance, and I would have the pickup to drive all the time. My RV's sat about 90% of the time in my back lot. Many of the national, state, and local campgrounds & parks (even trap clubs) are to small for the big RV's. Hope you can afford the fuel.......

#3 ·
The immediate difference is that, when camping, you'll be much less wanting to de-camp just to run to the grocery store in the motorhome while the 5th wheel is left at camp and you can shop or tour at length with your tow vehicle. Of course you can own TWO motor vehicles and tow one behind the motorhome but then the backing and maneuvering is worse than a 5th wheel. Then, when at home, you won't jump in your motorhome to do some shopping while the kid drives around in your corvette but you can do that shopping in your tow vehicle. Most motorhomes for sale have "low mileage" plastered on their windows and that's cuz it just sits and sits between travel trips at the side of your house or in the $75 a month storage facility. The motorhome is easier to maneuver in traffic and backing than towing anything (for the average dude). In the M.home you can park it and never go outside if you want but you can do that at home. Both are built with the very same RV parts and pieces but it does make a difference how any sample is put together. Both will suffer from narrow streets with overhanging trees and backing errors. Both need registration, insurance, maybe a loan, maybe storage, serious maintenance, and both provide wonderful experiences if you're prepared properly. Neither should be bought on a whim and neither are really designed for a lot of people and it's guaranteed your wife will want to load it with 10 times more stuff than necessary. That's about it in this short period of time.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

#4 ·
I bought a 28 ft 5th wheel with one side that slides out and a very large basement storage area 4 years ago. I looked at and drove several motorhomes as that was my first choice. I planned to tow my boat or a car. The unusual problem I had was that the motorhomes made me sea sick. I also bought a chev 3/4 ton desiel truck. I have had no problems towing, parking or enjoying the 5th wheel. In CA, as long as the people in the 5th wheel have direct communications with the driver, it is ok to ride in the 5th wheel. I travel primarily with my daughter and grand daughter an we have enjoyed it a great deal.

With the price of desiel, I have had to sideline travel and would consider selling the rig, if anyone is interested. I put two Honda 2000 generators in the rig and can run the TV, Microwave and A/C all at the same time. I also put the automatic satalite finding dome on it. Having the truck as a second vehicle around home and out on the road is great. Gas mileage is MUCH better on the truck than any of the motorhomes.

JON

#5 ·
If you get a 5th wheel, just don't forget that you are towing it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4KrjRGHYtY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4KrjRGHYtY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#6 ·
We have had both 34 ft. Motor home & 37 ft 5th wheel. The motor home & 5th wheel sit through the winter. The difference is the motor home is harmed by sitting and eventually costs more to get going. Once you are set up, the pull vehicle is transportation. I find it much less troublesome pulling the trailer than pulling a car behind the motor home. The usable area in our 34 ft. motor home was equivalent to a 30 ft. 5th wheel. Our 5th wheel is a Newmar, we could have bought a new gas motor home for less but we enjoy it more.

#7 ·
Not really looking to get anything right now but I have always had a desire for something for the family. I just have never been able to justify an RV for the realist amount of use I would probably get from one. I see allot of low mileage RV on the market for WAY less than the new price which tells you something. Just another luxury I'm sure I can live without for now.

KK

#8 ·
Consider renting for the little time most people use one. Yes I know there are retirees that travel all over but the average Joe cannot get the time off work to us one weeks at a time. Rent and turn it back in full of fuel and that is it. No maintainence, no storage costs, no work waxing etc. The only thing you lack is bragging rights to owning a 9 liter land cruiser. No I have nothing to do with the RV industry just my observations. Bill

#9 ·
We've had both and I completely agree with Bob Dodd. Sold the motor home and only used it once a year for 4 years. Luckily the people we sold it to have been able to use it much more than we and they seem happy with it. For me I pulled the 4 fifth wheels we had with Ford Diesels and never had a problem with either. As stated you can always dolly down the 5th wheel and use the tow vehicle to run around in. Mileage with the diesels was consistently at 10-12 MPG motorhome was 8 MPG maybe. You have to evaluate each one and if possible try each one first. The comment to rent is a good one. Good Luck.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.