1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorhome Check Engine Light??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

How can I get the check engine light to go off without a Diagnostic Tool to clear the codes. This is a 325 HP Cummins Diesel. Ran low on fuel, refilled but the light came on and it doesn't go off. Any ideas on how I can get it off?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Might work to take the negative post off the batteries for a few seconds. Dunno bout motor home, but works on 4 wheelers generally.

3. vhntr1

vhntr1 Member

After a number of start cycles if the problem does not exist it will go out on it's own.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Unhook the battery for a bit. I'd give it a half hour.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You can go to Autozone if you don't have a scanner, and they will erase it for you. If you are close to Lancaster, Ohio I will erase it for you.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

new gas cap? this happens on my subaru

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I would be very concerned there isn't a lean issue. Being a diesel, algee grows inside the fuel tanks of diesel's. If the light reappears after unhooking the battery I would look for a Cummins dealer in your area. It could get expensive real fast. It may have plugged the fuel filter. Also Diesels do not check the evaporative system so fuel cap is not even part of the equation. Birdtracker

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Most that's been posted has no relevance to your system..such as battery disconnect...they have been using non volitial memory for a long time. Find someone with a pro link scanner and the right cartrage
    don't think the corner parts store has one..unless you are in real truck country.

9. shootnair

shootnair Member

let me drive it around for a month or so I will probably get it to go out.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you ran real low...your water sensor in the fuel filter could be trying to tell you it needs emptying

11. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

The "Check Engine" is a catch all "Master Alarm" Could be a gas cap, O2 sensor, or damn near anything else. Get it scanned, then decide on a course of action.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Tighten the fuel cap till it cliks, you might not have it tight enough and its drawing a vacumn ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. JEB

JEB Active Member

I had a check engine light problem on my Cummings 340 a few months ago. Bought a new fuel for about $7.00, end of problem.
    JEB

14. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Glenn,

I have a 325 Cummins also, the best advise so far is to check the fuel filters. If you ran it out of fuel, you need to reprime the filters a certain way.

If you haven't replaced your fuel filters in awhile, you should and re-prime correctly. As a last resort, the Cummins guys can help, shouldn't be too expensive.

The Cummins C8.3 (mechanical engine) is one of the best engines our there, although I'm not too sure about a Cummings engine :)

The fuel cap doesn't matter.

PM me if you want info on proper priming sequence, it's in your engine manual. My manual is at home, I can get you info tonight.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.