1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

motorcycle riders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

those of us that ride should all buy one or two of the $2.00 flags that are sold everywhere and attach them to our motorcycles. This is not only patriotic but it will make the bike more visible to cell phone drivers in their SUV"s.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Those cheapie flags don't last very long at 100mph + speeds. I think they are just for Harleys!

ec90t

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

they are a problem that's for sure. I recently bought a pair of air horns ( Revco) They are very loud, tried the new Harley ones and they did not produce enough volume. These will make a woman on a cell phone pee her panties. I also put loud ( very loud) pipes on to stop people from cutting me off coming into my lane, now they hear me even while on their phones. I absolutely hope they pass laws to prohibit talking on cell phones unless stopped. It is a very big problem

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

" Those cheapie flags don't last very long at 100mph + speeds. I think they are just for Harleys!" I can understand the thought. Rice burner riders should buy a rising sun flag. That is who they are supporting anyway!!!!!!!

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

slowdp,

You need to check out the domestic content of say a Honda Goldwing and then the same model that Harley sells. I think that you'll be surprised.

As far as all those chrome accesories that you find in the Harley stores, why does it say "Made in China" on the package? Then walk into a Yamaha shop and see what it says on a chrome goodie "Made in the USA"!

I think that doing a little research before opening ones mouth would be a great place to start. I worked in dealerships most of my adult life, so maybe I might know what I'm talking about.

ec90t

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a die hard Harley fan and will never go back to the Goldwing but ec90t is correct. Most of the parts I buy are made in China or Mexico and I get them at the Harley dealer.

7. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I ride a BMW and a Ducati.....I'll just stay out of this altogether. LOL!!

FN in MT

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Don't underrate the H-D. A friend of mine rode one of his over 300k miles with minimal maint.(never even had to re-build the forks)and now has near 200k on his 2005. If my Yamaha ever sees that kind of mileage it'll have to be with a different rider.

Buz

9. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Cheap Chinese junk can be bought for anything that moves and most that does not. Good stuff normally does not say make in China. Ironically the Japs can make stuff in the states cheaper than in Japan. Japanese labor is out of site. Import parts to the US, assembly it in the US and beat the tariffs. Where does the profits go? Who is majority owner of Honda and the others.

Watching rice burner riders get up in arms is almost as much fun as riding. They can throw a punch but cannot take one. Zero to 70 is really fun on two wheels with 200 HP but the tickets are not near so much fun. I managed to get to old age and would rather not go out in a bag after being mopped up with a rag.

The truth is, all bikes are fun - even the scooters. I still love to jab the jabbers and see who ducks, who returns fire and who just plain cannot take a punch.

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Owned Harleys since 1970. I just like scooters period. Not a better stress relief machine than stretch'n out on a Street Glide and cruising down the road. But...I do like to hear my Vance and Hines. John M, please let me know when you start you bike, cause I'll won't know. Jap bikes are like screw'n a fat chick. It's Ok as long as no one sees ya!

11. chessney

chessney TS Member

Do you know what you get with 4 Harley chicks?
    A full set of teeth....Ziggy

12. TC

TC TS Member

Since we are talking motorcycles, the last sunday on the Interstate, I was passed by a 3 wheel trike with a huge sideways mounted V twin. I am pretty sure it was a shaft drive to the rear wheels. The engine was somewhat like a BMW, but it wasn't an opposed twin, it was a V. Any idea what the engine was?

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My reply wasn't a bash about a HD's quality as much as the fact that they personify a non exsitant theme. There domestic content slips more and more every year. They are technical dinosours and are only marginal in there intended role. Most of the other motorcycles have better suspensions and brakes. Their style is good, but it is only skin deep. The heart of the motorcycle has only deveoped to the level that the others offered in the mid 80's.

On a slow ride, Harley's are adequate. You push them on an all dayer at 85mph or better and they simply won't cut it. To prove my point, check out the motorcycles that enter the Iron Butt Ralley each year. Vary rarely will you see a HD in the pack. They simply won't hold up to repeated 1000 mi days.

Motorcycles of all types are fun to ride. HD's are great "Bar Bikes", but that's about it. If they would make there touring bikes comfortable for rider taller than 6' it would be a big improvement.

Hell, even Erik Buell couldn't deal with the HD engine anymore and finally has a Rotax built v-twin for his high performance model.

ec90t

14. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Don't operate under the impression that loud pipes will necessarily alert text messagers and cell phone users in their cars and SUV's.

I was sitting at an intersection, eastbound, waiting on a red in my car, it was this spring, windows were up, radio was on low, no heat or a/c on.

Two HD's with straight pipes had the green and approached me from the left (north), to make a right turn and head west, past me in the opposite direction.

I did not hear them coming, I saw them approaching from my left.

I heard them once they turned and passed by me, but not until they went by me.

Last season, I was on a two lane, secondary highway in the sticks, on my Yamaha FJR1300.

I head the typical HD sound with loud pipes about 1/4 mile ahead; with the wind noise and my full face helment, certainly the volume was there.

I came up on him fairly quickly, he was running a few MPH under the limit, I was running about 6 MPH over.

I wasn't going to listen to that too long so I did a complete check to make sure there were no surprises ahead or behind, threw the signal on and whipped by him.

As soon as my rear wheel passed his front wheel, things went "silent". Never heard him once I was out in front of him.

If you must, run the loud pipes if it yanks your crank but these two observations indicate to me that they can't be relied on to save your butt from Gramps, Grannie and the electronic gadget operators.

Be carefull out there, they don't care or can even tell the brands that we ride apart but it seems they're bent on taking out as many of us as they can.

As for flags, I prefer using the Hinomaru decals on the FJR, flags shred up pretty badly in the slipstream. ;)

15. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

All you non Harley fans that's great for you. Personally I've owned most brands and have to say I like/liked all my Harleys (3 to date) the best. SO say what you want and ride what you want. Who gives a shi-? Seems like only those who don't ride Harleys do. It's sort of a free country isn't it?

16. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Ziggy...low blow...but good one! I must say, at the last rally, the quality seams to be improving.
    ec90t, how many people put 1000 miles a day on their scooter, or even 1000 miles in 2 days. Maybe a rally here or there, but on average very, very few.
    Only Harley has the "cult like" following. I agree, alot of it's marketing, a good deal of it is pride in the rebound of success within the company. Theres alot of history with the company and the riders. It's kind of cool, but there are alot of new owners that don't get it. When our dealer (opened his doors in 69) took down the AMF sign, we had one hell of a Party. I was riding Harleys before it was cool, so I have a different view on the whole thing. Then again, aren't all scooters cool?

17. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Oh and another thing. I've had a lot and I mean alot of rice grinder riders tell me they wish they had my Harley instead of their rice. I have NEVER once heard a Harley rider tell a rice rider he's rather have his rice bike so it's mostly you non Harley owneres that alwaysd start ther crap of bashing Harleys. Like I said before noone gives a s--- except you wannabees. Plus the whole gist of the tread was suppose to be support our flag. Surely all of you can do that no matter what you ride.

18. ec90t

ec90t Guest

D C,

In most of the circles that I travel in a 1000 mi day is a badge of honor. Like most registered shooters consider a 100/200 straight. I'm not into poker runs or anything like that.

And yes, all scooters are cool!

ec90t

19. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

ec90t Please show me FACTS to back up your statment that Harleys of today won't hold up to 1000 mile days but other bikes will. I'm calling your BS. Todays Harley WILL cruise at 85mph easily all day long. My evo will and has. You sir do NOT know what you are talking about.

20. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Thanks Hoggy and Dove Commander. Several rice burner riders I have ridden with have sold and came to the dark side when they see I can ride 2000 and 3000 mile trips with ease. No, I don't see any point in doing continuous 1000 mile days but if that is your bag ec90t then go for it. I have needed to do 1000 miles in a day and did it with ease. An added bonus was I could walk straight up at the end of the ride.

Most of the rice burner riders are a bit dismayed when they realize their bike lost 50% on its value (rather initial cost) in 2 years while the Harley rider only lost 15%.

It is funny that the rice burner riders usually throw the first punch. Do you think it is low self esteem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1974 250 v75 montesa forum