1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

motorcycle gun case

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I am looking for a gun case that will fit a browning XT 32 " that I can strap on my Harley and travel to trap shoots. Any ideas.? I am sure some of you have tried this. I would like to know your experiences.
    Thanks, JOhn

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I use a soft break down case. Just strap it to the rear seat and go. One cop rolled his window down at a traffic light to ask what i was carrying. I told him custom pool sticks and grinned. He just said "be safe and don't loose too much".

Another guy I know bought a second set of bags on Ebay and cut the top of one of them to fit the case. He just slips the gun in the saddle bag and closes the top. No fuss, no muss.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use Cabelas breakdown soft case, and bungee cord it onto the rack. This is just for a day trip to the range. Mark

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just strap it across the handlebars.

5. RayReys

RayReys Member

Haven't tried to take my MC to the range, but a soft canvas takedown case like the BOyt or Cabela's models look promising...mine seems to be inconspicuous and easy enough to bungee on the pillon

For some reason, I'm reminded of the Renegade

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eRqAWQLpRDU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eRqAWQLpRDU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

The last time I slung a Boyds Signature scoped rifle soft case across my back and took it for a Harley ride to my plinking spot, I got pulled over. Cop had a $h!+ fit and I had a pellet rifle, so he couldn't generate any money for the State. Was told not to do it again.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

OK, you guys are brave. I have motorcycled off and on for years, mostly off-road. The thought of crashing an MC with a loose pipe (ok, shotgun) in my proximity creeps me out re. added danger of being impaled or worse. Ever crashed an MC at speed on dirt in the desert? All kinds of things stretch and move and break...it, for me, is sobering to contemplate.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Soft take down case. One end in saddle bags, with the top end bungee to the sissy bar.

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Must be cool to ride the Harley with a gun strapped across your back that is worth as much as the harley. What an insurance claim!

blade819

10. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Cnsane. Lots and lots of different firearms laws in this nation. And a ton of them make no sense. That being said, I can't help but to ask. What was the officer's reasoning for telling you not to do it again? Thanks

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have seen a hard plastic golf transport case mounted standing up on a Goldwing trailer hitch. Don't know why it wouldn't work for a couple of shotguns. Caught me off guard when I first saw it, but on closer inspection, it was a great idea.

JON

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Horizontal is a problem unless you have a real wide motorcycle. Vertical works better as long as it stays out of the wind. I travel with a hard case on the motorcycle the same way as a hard cased electric guitar. I ride sport style bikes so it is not like I have loads of extra room. I set the end of the case right side passenger peg and bungie cord it pulling it against the bracket with one bungie and pulling it down with another bungie. Then attach a third bungie to the grab rail at the bottom of the seat. The forth bungie is around the case up against the side of the seat with the cord going over the top of the seat and hooking to the right side grab rail. My range/ammo bag bungie cords to the passenger seat. Nothing sticks out the side, and everything is behind my body so bugs do not even get on the forward side of the case. Thousands of miles and speeds well over ticket level and never had a problem. AQs far as handling, you will never notice a ten pound weight that close to the centerline of the bike. Even if the bike were to get knocked over, the case would hit the pavement flat and the gun would probably be fine. If you completely wad up your motorcycle in a bad wreck like I had in '04, a bent Perazzi will be the least of your worries.
    Good Luck, have fun.

13. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

From what I understand, the Israelis make the best motorcycle gun cases.

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Good one! Those would be the magnetic ones?

15. cnsane

cnsane Member

SDS, was told Iowa fire-arms law, at that time, stated you could not travel with an unloaded gun on your person or within reaching access of the motor vehicle operator unless you had a permit to carry. Brave and arrogant little bastard had me at gun point after he pulled me over. He wanted to confiscate my Beeman even after I proved it was a pellet rifle. I told him to make whatever bad decision he thought his career could withstand because I wasn't going to argue Law with him along side the road. When I told him that Ned Weir would be representing me, he sent me on my way with the admonishment that cops didn't have X-ray vision and couldn't tell what was inside the case.

16. cnsane

cnsane Member

Subject: motorcycle gun case
    Email:
    Date: Sat, Jan 14, 2012 - 11:03 AM ET
    Website Address:

Must be cool to ride the Harley with a gun strapped across your back that is worth as much as the harley. What an insurance claim!

blade819

gayBlade. I don't try for cool because I have enough self-esteem that I never had to come out of a closet. I also have balance and a bought new K-80 that was cheap compared to a new Electra-Glide. But thanx for your attempt at an insult.

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use the plastic take down hard case that came with the gun. I put inside of a dry-bag and strap the the back rack. The width of the case is just a little less than 34" and the width of the bike with my panniers is 39". This works great for me and allows me to shoot a little more because of the money saved in gas. The better benefit is it allows me to enjoy two of my favorite hobbies.

ss

18. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

take a look at www.ironhorsecaddybag.com...or google it.

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

jmac,,,,how would you secure it at a "pit stop" on your way to the shoot,,,I, personally would worry about it walking off if I had to go inside a store,,,,and many would be SHOCKED if someone carried a soft gun case inside....

20. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Boyt soft breakdown case double bungeed on the tour pack rack. I ride wherever that way including 350 miles to the Grand.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun case for motorcycle

motorcycle gun case

motorcycle rifle case
motorcycle shotgun case
motorcyle gun cases
rifle carry case for motorcycle
shotgun carring case for motorcycles
youtube how to put a gun box on a motorcycle