1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mother got hurt, having surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Since my father passed away 10 years ago, I have attempted to try and help my mother as she is elderly and wants to live on her own. I visit her roughly 3 times a day. I do her grocery shoping, take her for medical appointments, do her laundry and at night make sure she's ready for bed.

She had a doctor's appontment yesterday morning at the local hospital and I took her. After the appointment, A nurse asked me some questions about her and I asked my mom to please stay here and not walk around without my assistance.

I was gone for a few minutes and than I hear the loud speaker call out for a team of people to rush to the area that I just left my mother. My mom was sitting in a hallway where I left her and a cleaning person who was washing the floor came by and asked her if she could move while she washes the floor with a mop?

My mother than left the area and stumbled and fell face down and broke her shoulder, smashing the ball completely as well as falling on her face breaking teeth, and cutting her lip.

This afternoon she is having surgery. All day long the doctors and nurses are asking her what happened and attempted to assure her that it wasn't their fault that she fell. My mother and I never suggested that it was the hospital's fault as my mother told me she just stumbled and fell. Than a man representing the hospital told us that they pulled the tape and said it appears you fell on your own.

My mother and I were amazed how concerned they appeared to be making sure to tell us they were not at fault as we never said it was their fault.

Please say a prayer today for her as this will be a long recovery process, especially at her age. Once again, I have offered her to move in to my house and she once again declines my offer, as she wants to be so called independant.
    Steve Balistreri

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if you hear from the "Risk Management" people from the hospital. I truly hope your mother heals quickly and is back to her normal self soon.

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Steve...thoughts and prayers are with your Mother.

blade819

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Shut Up and don't sign a damn thing. Get a lawyer and sue the hell out of them. They are asking for it because of the way they are talking saying it wasn't thier fault. Sue them.

Hope your mother feels better soon.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Call a good attorney and have him get your mother the best Doctor money can buy, then sue the living hell out of them ... Your Mother will be in our prayers for a quick recovery ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve I'm real sorry to hear that, and hope she recovers quickly

And I would do what the other guys said, the fact that they were so worried about their butts and not your mother is really low

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yes Steve...just figure things out before making or signing any statements..they should have seen how obviously frail your mom was and assisted her moving if it was necessary or gotten you first before putting her in danger

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wow what bad luck, hope she is doing well. On another note this is going to be the time for you to arrange for her to stay for rehab in nursing home.In fact her doctors are probably going to insist on it. Medicare pays for I believe the first 90 or 100 days, not sure but for long enough for the rehab. For long term she pays and then when savings, house selling money etc is all gone then Medicaid or whatever version your state has it takes over and the trade off is she only gets to keep a small amount of her pension income and the rest goes to her share of nursing home bill. An example would be one of my sisters she is in Ohio and was in nursing home for quite a while. Her SS pension was $1189.00 a month and she was only able to keep $40.00 for herself at the time. The rest of the money went towards the $6500.00 a month nursing home bill and medicaid paid the rest. Elderly people have this idea that they can live on their own forever in their minds they can do everything that they used to be able to do. Tain't so. Next she will be falling and breaking a hip,wrist,collar bone on and on.Hard decisions are coming your way soon. Good luck to you and her both. Bill PS nursing homes are not the hell holes they used to be. No one sets around in puddles of piss anymore. My elderly neighbor had to go to an assisted living facility recently and its one of the nicest places here in Bowling Green Ohio and it only costs him like $3500.00 a month or so. When his savings are gone then Medicaid picks up the rest.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve, prayers for your mom and as quick and complete recovery. As stated just sign nothing and say even less.

10. revbook

revbook Member

That's just awful Steve......Please keep us posted.

Don in PA

11. willing

willing Member

Good grief both Steve and his mother say it was not the hospitals fault and then some idiots start saying sue the hospital. No wonder our country is in the shape it is. Be ashamed you people!

Bill

12. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Good luck Steve. I hope your Mom will be ok.

It can be very stressful trying to help an elderly parent. I admire you for your efforts.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your mother. Hope she recovers quickly. Unfortunately, sometimes this is the determining factor, for the assisted living circumstance, going forward.

Seems suspect that the hospital was very quick in protecting itself. If this was in fact a hospital employee, and asked someone to move without assistance, especially if they are elderly, and unstable, in a hospital is suspect in the least.

You have to understand that sometimes litigation is necessary not out of spite, but for monetary costs, above and beyond the possible costs that are covered. Those costs if need be, will go down the ladder until recovered. That is why the ladder of responsibility needs to be known.

Don't sign, and don't say anything, as stated above. Above all, even though you may not feel it necessary now, get a copy of that tape. If need be hire an attorney to do so. They will obtain other information, such as the name of the employee that asked your mother to move, and all personnel involved at the hospital. Protect yourself ahead of time. Does not mean you need to go forward any further. Just in case there are further costs involved that you have pay. In that case, let someone other than the hospital determine if there was negligence. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that this information will be lost.

14. 548

548 Guest

I think you should call an attorney. Not in an effort to "get rich", but to show where the culpability is and hold that party responsible.

Your mother is certainly experiencing pain and suffering and her capacity to enjoy her final years pain free are obviously going to be diminished.

I suspect that the hospital hasn't offered to treat her injuries free of charge. And so in my eyes the federal Medicaid system is also going to be a "victim" of this incident.

Food for thought. Doesn't cost anything to consult with a good attorney.

15. Auctioneer

Just to let you know, if her bills for ALL are say $50,000.00 you times that by 3. So in other words its either going to be $150,000.00 or $50,000.00 + $150,000.00. Let the bills add up and make sure where you go that the hospital or doc has nothing to do with the place. VERY IMPORTANT. You don't want them to put their hand in the works for your mothers care.

16. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Steve,

Thoughts and prayers are with your mom. As far as a lawsuit goes, if your mom knew the floor was wet, there will certainly be an issue of comparative fault on the part of your mom. However, if it was a slip on a wet floor and not a stumble, as you stated, and personnel from the hospital cleaning staff asked her to move forcing her to walk on or over a wet floor unassisted certainly could put the hospital in a more than 50% liability position.

Watch out for the attorneys who blow sunshine up your a$$ and tell you how much they can do. If they don't see comparative fault as an issue, they probably don't know what they are talking about. Be mindful of your state's statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit. Make sure you mom reads every document carefully before signing anything to avoid waiving her rights. If you can get a copy of the tape ASAP that would not be a bad idea.

I assume musketman is being sarcastic, but don't let the cost of increased health care concern your mom or you, because such a lawsuit has very little to do with the cost of health care. Based on the information thus far, it appears to be a lack of training and managment on the janitorial staff as well as common sense on the part of the hospital employee or cleaning service, if it was contract out.

17. Auctioneer

When I worked in places where I had to sweep and or mop you waited till the people were out of the area. You didn't mop because of law suits.

When the worker asked her the OLD LADY, sorry not trying to be disrespectfull, the worker put her in a dangerous position. They greated things. The worker should have waited.

18. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Steve,I have had to do the same thing with my mother. Caring for a mother or father, the Doctors visits the shopping the time spent with them is all very taxing to the caregiver. All worth it though. The time spent is irreplaceable, enjoy every moment good and bad. Once their gone their gone. Very absolute!! My mom passed away four years ago this Jan. Aged 88. Still miss her dearly. You are obviously a good son! Keep up the good work and keep the faith. Dan

19. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Best wishes to you and your mom. God bless

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Dan:
    Sorry about the loss of your mom. Just got back from the hospital as it was a very long day. I called the hospital at 8am and was told the surgery was set for 5:30pm.

About a half hour later I get a call and they changed the time of the surgery to 11:30am.

They took my mom for surgery around 10:30am to prep her and started the surgery around 11:30am. The next time I saw her was when they brought her back to her room around 4pm.

She was awake, looked so much better than the day before, and told me she hardly had any pain, at least nothing compared to yesterday.

Not one person from the hospital brought up the fall today. Before my mom was taken for the surgery I asked her again what happened? She said a real nice woman with a mop and pale on wheels asked her if it would be ok for her to mop around her or would she like her to come back?

My mother said she would walk down the hall so she could start moping the floor. My mother said the floor was not wet as she stumbled on her own and that it was her own fault, and the woman with the mop was the one who called and ran towards her for help. My mom insist the woman nor hospital did anything wrong, just bad luck on her part.

Thanks for the prayers as she has a long road a head of her. As she was being taken to surgery she told me not to worry as she will be ok. I remember my mom at the age of 25 when I was 2 years 10 months old.

It makes me realize just how short our time on Earth is. She was more concerned about me than herself today. It's sad that we all have to get old. I told her that I wished this fall happened to me instead of her.

She said "I would never want my baby boy to have this much pain". It's amazing, at my age I am still her baby boy.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.