1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Motel's in the Sparta region???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Motel

I realize that "beggars can be choosers", but I do have questions on the still available motels.

Chester, Perryville (MO), Carbondale are sold out for the preliminary days. However, Belleville seems to have lots of availability. Looking at listings of the motels in Belleville and their reviews makes me very wary. I have never seen a collection of such horrible reviews. "Never again" seems to be a fairly universal comment.

do any of you have knowledge of the Belleville motels? Are they really bad or is the locale really bad?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Many parts of Belleville are not the safest of places. I live 45 minutes from there and go thru and to that area quite frequently. If i was you i would look more at the Fairview Heights Il, area which is roughly the same distance and alot nicer and safer area. That area also includes the surrounding areas of O'fallon,Il and Collinsville ,Il. which are also roughly the same distance and equally as nice and safe as compared to parts of Belleville. I live in Sparta and any of those towns are nice leisurely drives to the Complex.----Matt

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

As Matt has advised, Fairview Heights and O'Fallon/Shiloh are much better places to look for motels. There is a good selection, and they aren't much further away than Belleville.

I would not recommend the Best Western Camelot Inn, though. Unless you're a smoker. Their idea of a "non-smoking room" was to turn the ash tray over.

4. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Our group has a house in Red Bud which is about 10-12 minutes from Sparta. This is our third year in the same house. We have two bed available. Entire house is non-smoking and has AC. Two of our shooters could not make it this year. Price is $500.00 per bed and you can arrive Sunday August 9th and leave Sunday August 16th for Grand Week. That is $71.42 per night. There is not a better deal around. If you are a family, we may can work something out. Send me a PM. Thanks and good shooting!!!

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

rdf59, DO NOT book into any motels in Belleville. I live here, have worked for the Belleville Police Dept. for the last 40 years & I can assure you all the motels here are dumps. Belleville is off the beaten path & therefor has no real motels. They are all flop houses. The Executive Inn is a real hole. Drugs, prostitutes--you name it. As V10 advised the Fairview Hts./O'fallon area are the best around here. I-64 runs right thru those towns and the Motels there are pretty much first rate. Wish I could say "come stay in our town" but I wouldn't advise it. Belleville is an OK town to live in, low crime & etc., but no tourism at all. Colonel

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

colonel klink.......You say those motels are full of prostitutes?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

What's the name of those motels??? ;)

And how much do they charge.;)

I mean, how much do the motels charge........ lol (:cool:

Hauxfan!

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Well of course, Zara.......lol

Hauxfan!

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I stayed at the place in Belleville that the Colonel mentioned and let me tell you it was the worst hole I have ever stayed at. They refused to even provide towels and the 3rd nite as I was walking up the stairs I found myself eyeball to eyeball with a large gray Pit Bull and a Big mean looking guy at the other end of the leash. I later found out that someone was shot in the parking lot a few days before I arrived.

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Fairview Heights also has lots of eating/shopping places. At the last minute I would double check the Sparta hotels, as folks cancel at the last minute. Check with the Chamber at Sparta

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Try East St. Louis. Closer than St Louis and a lot less expensive.

Rock

Jim

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

We stayed at a Band B in Percy called the Hauhn? House I'm sure you can get the number off the white pages. Very nice place and a good breakfast served also. I think the rooms were 69 per nite. If I needed a room I'd check there before going to a motel of anykind. Percy is about 20 minutes south of Sparta. Not a bad drive and it's pretty country down there. Dan

12. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Thanks for the input on Belleville. I have alerted my friend and his wife. I will be in Marion. (60 miles). It's also 100 miles closer to GA than anything around St. Louis.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Rock. He's a help little a, a, guy, isn't he?

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

rdf59,

You must mean Marion's closer to where you live. Because at 65+ miles it's 20 miles further away from Sparta than Fairview Heights.

A better bet for you in that case would be Du Quoin.

Or, you can look at it this way (assuming you are coming from SE of Sparta): You have a one time long drive (your first drive up to Fairview Heights), but your recurring drive is 40 miles per day shorter, and on the day you head home your drive to Sparta will be in the direction you want to be heading (no back tracking like driving from Marion to Sparta and then back again to head home.)

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Check out motels in Okawville, IL. Super 8 for sure and famous for the Hot Springs Spa. 30 miles from Sparta.

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Yes, check out the Original Springs. Info on a couple threads, Try to help you if needed.

Joe Woods/Ontario

17. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Hey all, Why drive 30-40 miles which equates to about an hours drive when I have two rooms in Red Bud which is about 10 miles away!!! They are available for the entire Grand Week for $500.00 per room or $71.42 per night. This is our third year to stay at this house. You can come and go as you please. Send me a PM and good Shooting!!!!

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Here is a suggestion:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=191403&Messages=2

Guy B.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Rock---Why on Earth would you suggest anybody stay in E. St.Louis? That is one of the most dangerous and rundown areas in the whole midwest. There are constently bodies found there as well as murders in broad daylight not to mention night when most people would be returning. Maybe you are not familiar with the area and thats understandable but please no more recomendations to that hell hole.----Matt

20. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

RFD,
    I travel in the area lots each year and have a good idea of the time needed to travel from some of the towns. I tried to consider your desire to be close to your route home. Some suggestions are:
    Du Quion 45 minutes (Fairly close and easy access)(not stayed there but have some brand name motels...call the local police office and ask about the places)
    Murphysboro 55 minutes (older but servicable motel on the east side of town)Have stayed there)
    Carbondale 1 hr 10 minutes (College town...several rooms and places to eat)Went to College there.
    Marion 1 hr 25 minutes (too far away..you will be driving past better places)
    Rend Lake Golf Course 1 hr (very nice)(stayed there)
    Benton 1 hr 10 minutes (rather stay in Mt. Vernon..more places to eat and better motels)
    Mt. Vernon 1 hr 15 minutes (lots of rooms, Thrifty Inn is less than $35.00 and is owned and opperated by Drury)(stayed there lots)
    Closest but to the Northeast is Okawville, 35 minutes (The Original Mineral Springs Hotel..older but OK)(stayed there)
    My pick for close and OK would be Okawville...a little out of the way but only by a few miles coming from home and going home...look into Du Quoin, I have not stayed there so I can not suggest it beyond the location is good for you as is Murphysboro. I stayed in Mt. Vernon the first year at the Thrifty for 29.99 a night and found a short cut that shaved at least 10 minutes off the route (with a little country road speeding).
    Hope this helps.
    See you at the Grand
    CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.