1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Significant ATA Rule Change in Past 5 Years?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Switchblade327, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

OK, I’ll try to make this my last “what’s new since I’ve been away” post. The “shells on the ground,” and the “when to close your gun” threads have painfully informed me little or nothing has changed. Certainly not with the folks who frequent this site anyway…

What about ATA rules? Anything big in the last 5 years? Is there a 30 yard line Handicap post yet? (lol). Can I only use 1 oz. loads now? Can I get a reduction back to the 20 yard line for not shooting in 5 years?

Seriously, have there been any major rule changes? Thanks. cls

2. running bear

running bear Member

Read the ATA rule book?

Buck

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

R U Fishing?

Jason in PA

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Are you going to leave again, soon? :). Just kidding.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

2 yard "blanket" reduction. Not a rule change, but definitely had an effect. For those that like the word, it was one of the most "progressive" things to come out the EC since I started shootin' ('91).

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

yes, biggest change, ATA rulebook is now online...

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Charlie, probably the bigest change was in the way that catagories are handled for shoot offs. Study that portion real close and then ask some one you shoot with that you trust to explain it for you. If you're not looking for All American points it's not worth claiming cat at a really big shoot. They also added 3 cats. split the ladies into lady1 and lady2, added a older jr cat covers 18 to 22 year olds and a jr vet cat 60 to 65. Those are the biggest things since youve been on here

Bob

8. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

Thanks Bob, I do appreciate the informative reply. cls

9. pdq

pdq Member

Switchblade:

Biggest rule change was quickly repealed. It stated "Anyone who shoots a score that is 4 above their ATA average at a state, regional, or national shoot will have their trigger finger cut off; it it happens a second time, their thumb will be cut off, and if it continues, the same will be done to their other hand".

The problem? Within a couple of shoots hundreds of people couldn't hold their guns, as they'd lost both their thumbs and first fingers. And the stench from all the rotting thumbs and fingers? You don't want to go there.

Pete

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Switchie, just because we don't have a 30 yard line certainly can't mean it's not needed, with the correct parameters in place?

AND, I earned honorary yardage and a buckle from the 27 with those "puny" one ounce loads? Whoda ever thunk it??

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.