1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Potent .380 ACP Ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by School Teacher, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

As a follow up on the .380 pocket pistol thread, what is the most potent .380 ACP loading? It it safe or comfortable to use in the current batch of small .380 pocket pistols?

Is there anything better than the Federal Hydra-Shok loading?

Ed Ward

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check out Cor-Bon... about the best there is from mass produced ammo. You might find a niche ammo that does more, but you can wal into any decent gun shop and find Cor-Bon

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Check out the gel tests at GoldenLoki.

Cor-Bon is excellent.

Buffalo Bore also makes great defensive ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=29

4. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Glaser Safety Slugs. The stopping power of a .40 caliber in a .380 package. I've carried them in a PPK for years.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Ed,

If by "potent" you mean a round that meets the FBI requirements, you won't find one in .380ACP.

If you mean the best possible, then these should be considered:

Cor-Bon DPX

Speer Gold Dot

Federal HST

The Hydra-Shoks that you mention are old technology and have been superseded by the HST bullet.

Cor-Bon DPX uses the Barnes all copper bullet that gets good reviews.

I'd suggest that you Google your question and read as much information as possible. The link above makes for some good reading.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I dont really trust the .380 to expand at those low velocity numbers. My choice is the 100gr +P lead slug from Buffalo Bore.

7. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Another vote for Buffalo Bore.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

With the 380, you can have expansion or penetration. PICK ONE.

If you can find a bullet that actually expands in the 380, you have a round that will deliver insufficient penetration.

The quickest way to get a good hit in a gunfight AND STILL LOSE is with this type of round.

I will take penetration every time. The 100 gr lead bullet from Buffalo Bore may give more penetration than standard "hardball" ammo.

Prefragmented bullets such as Glaser and Mag-Safe typically deliver insufficient penetration.

The best performing bullet will not stop the fight if it does not get into and disrupt blood bearing organs or nerve/spine/brain tissue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

most potent shooter

potent 380 ammo