1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

most popular powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ram2008, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ram2008

ram2008 TS Member

I was just wondering..
    What do most shooters (reloaders) use for powder? I'am loading a 1 oz load, with cheddite primers, claybuster wads, and Remington, or AA hulls. I have been using Hodgdon powder, but it is getting hard to find lately. I want to switch to something more popular, and cheap, if I can.
    Thanks

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

A couple years back I made the switch to Promo for all 12 ga. target loads.
    Seems to be a good powder & is probably the most affordable of all.
    On 20 ga. I use Unique & have used super field in the past. Colonel

3. darr

darr Well-Known Member

If you have been loading Clays switch to Clay Dot from Alliant.It is $10 to$15 cheaper depending where you get it and is "very" close to the same powder.

Darr

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Red Dot was the most popular powder for years with trap shooters. I believe it has been replaced as of late by Promo. Just an old mans opinion.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X

Curt

6. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

always used Red Dot for target 12 gauge but I just bought Promo because it was $25 per 8# cheaper than the red dot and it loads to the same recipies as red dot. I had to drop 3 bushing sizes though to get the same drop weight.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I can remember when Red Dot and 700X were just about the only powders mentioned at the trap club. They are both still popular and have strong followings. I'd have to guess now, however, that Clays is more popular and there are so many other new possibilities as to make the whole thing a little confusing. "Back then" you were either a Red Dot shooter or a 700X shooter......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I was a 700X shooter. But, many years ago I switched to Green Dot for handicap and later Clays for the 16.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You mentioned 1oz loads, so there are many powders that will do the job. For cost, Promo is about the most popular. Red Dot and 700-X were the standards of years gone by, but still work well. 700-X is a bit expensive these days, but my supply of 12 lb kegs is still going strong. If you are looking for something close to Clays, Cly Dot from Alliant is a good replacement. The loads would be similar and it costs less than Clays. I use a LOT of Promo and have been very happy with it. It will vary a bit from lot to lot and you need to be sure to check your drops, especially when opening a new jug of a different lot. I buy a bunch of one lot number at the time, so I don't have to change much from jug to jug. I just double check it and go.

If you were talking about 1 1/8 oz loads at 1200 or a bit higher, Green Dot is a great choice. Red Dot or Promo can get you to 1150 or so without developing astronomical pressures, and even to 1200 if you select the right components. I don't use Clays/Clay Dot for 1 1/8 oz loads, since the pressures seem a bit high for what I would want to load.

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

For my 1oz loads I use Clay Dot, Clay Buster Wad, Rem hull and cheddite primer. Promo and green dot seem very popular at our club.

11. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I switched from Red Dot to Titewad several years ago and have fallen in love with the powder...It's much cleaner and a lot less expensive than Red Dot. For 27 yd targets, I've gone from Green Dot to International Clays and am very happy with the change...Odie

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I switched from RexII to Promo in Sep. of this year. $76 per 8 lbs. I load 18 gr. in Rem. STS hull with DRWJ and 1 1/8 oz. 8's. The first registered shoot with the load was a 97 from 26 yds. Recoil is so light that I use it for 16's, as well.

Buz

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Used Red Dot for years but switched to Promo on the last keg purchase.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Like you, I was/am a fan of Clays and International Clays but couldn't find it for awhile there. So I tried out a couple of jugs of Promo. I won't go so far as to say I like Promo better than Clays but I do like the way it is priced and the fact that I can get it when I need it. Go ahead and give Promo a try I think it will do what you are looking for.

Two weeks ago I was driving home from rooster hunting in NW Kansas and stopped at a very nice gun shop in Atwood KS. They had CLAYS at a very fair price so I stocked up and am back to using my old favorite. But it is nice to have a plan B. (Promo)

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I switched to Promo when It came out, I love the powder, I love the price, it is Alliants best selling powder, and I don't think is is a dirty burning powder. I have been using it exclusively, and am on my 20 something 8 lb keg.

Longshot for shootoffs and Annie's 3rd shot and 4th shot. 34 grs 1 1/8th oz #6s

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Gary Bryant: Help me with my math?! At approx 400 rounds per pound using promo, even if I round it down to 20 - 8 # kegs, you have loaded and shot approx 64,000 rounds using promo! According to the ATA website, I see you have shot approx 18,000 ATA targets in the last 8 years. That means you must shoot a hell of a lot of practice annually?! Tom Rhoads

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I use a lot of 700X myself.......Red Dot seems to be quite popular as well altho' I've never used it.

John C. Saubak

18. white rattler

white rattler Member

Back in the day I used many lbs of WW452AA and 700X. Trevor Dawe.

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

I am not a huge fan of 700X, but there is a bargin at www.gibrass.com on a Russian knockoff 700X.

20. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

most popular powder for trap shooting