1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

most popular guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

what are the most popular guns? Now what is the most popular guns Made and owned by US company. Also how many of the BUY US guys are hauling their Italian/German/japan guns to shoots in US Built and owned company cars and trucks. ???????????????????????????? I have heard the buy American rant from many many shooters since I started trap. Then they proceed to pick up A Beretta, browning, P gun K gun and a host of other non us guns. Tell me Why did Mr Browning go off to belgium to make his guns........profit im sure.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PS as far as I can find out Browning does not own any gun manufacturing plants, everything is contracted out.

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

To the best of my knowledge that the Devault Infinity is the only gun to be truly U.S. made. Meaning that every part is made in U.S.

Matt

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Matt, what about Ljutic, Seitz, Bowen and Kolar? Also, didn't Bill Cole make everything here? Thanks, Roy

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

and Alfermann?

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I heard that some of those guys bought parts that were manufactured outside of U.S. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time! LOL! I know that if you buy a Bowen, Seitz, Infinity, Ljutic, Cole, Kolar, etc., you are supporting America. I shoot a Perazzi though.

Matt

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Mr.Browning did the only thing he could do leave.I dont think anyone would just give away a great idea for free now would they.

8. textrap

textrap TS Member

The July issue of "Field and Stream" has an article about the Browning Citori. It gives some insight why production of that model was moved from Belgium to Japan.

9. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

I edited part of this post and made another one about the Superposed. I left the info on Miroku since it's correct.

Thanks and Happy Independence Day to all !!!!

As to Browning contracting with Miroku, the costs of the FN built guns during the 60's and 70's were heading up FAST due to excessive taxes and duties, and the labor unions in Belgium demanding (and getting) higher wages. The costs became prohibitive for Browning to continue regular production with FN. As most know the Superposeds became special order guns only.....with huge pricetags and long waits... in the mid to late 70's.

Another huge factor was that FN simply could not put out the production necessary to fill all the orders Browning had for Superposeds. Between the taxes, duties, and numerous strikes by the union workforce, they did what they had to do to survive. The BT was the initial Browning built by Miroku soon followed by the Citori and many others.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

10. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Ok....after eating dinner I dug out my copy of "The Browning Superposed" to verify a few points.

FN was already making Browning pistols for some years when in 1902 the heart attack incident at Remington took place. J.M.B. was at Remington to strike a deal for the A-5 after the Winchester deal went south over buy out vs royalties. Since there was an existing relationship with FN, off he went to Belgium. The deal was made to make A-5's at FN.

According to the book, the only reason the M-11 deal with Remington was struck (in 1905) was to avoid the stiff tarriffs and duties imposed on european goods. The first Superposed prototype wasn't completed until 1923 and 3 years later John Moses died in the FN building of a heart attack while working on putting it into production.

My earlier post stated that the Superposed was shopped out to various US mfrs.....this is incorrect. I was thinking of the A-5... my mistake...I'm getting older and am easily confused :) FN and an unnamed German company were the only contenders to make the Superposed for Browning with FN ultimately winning the contract.

John Val Browning was largely responsible for perfecting the design and putting the Superposed into production after his fathers death.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.