1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most popular gauge for skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lostintheozone, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostintheozone

Lostintheozone Member

Not refering to registered shoots, just those out having some fun with a gun without a tube set. The reason for the question is after about 40 years I'm going to start shooting skeet again. I still have my 12ga gun but thought maybe a sub gauge might be more fun.

Any shooters out there that left the 12 ga. behind?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For me, nothing beats a 28ga for skeet. I shoot a 12,20,28, and 410bore at skeet. I always shoot my best scores with the 28ga.

ss

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

The 12 ga is by far the most popular gauge in skeet. However, there are many that prefer the smaller gauges. I shoot most of my skeet targets (and sporting clays) with the 410. I shoot for fun and the 410 is just more fun.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why not just use your 12 gauge with 7/8 ounce or 3/4 ounce reloads?

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In the 30's when skeet was started it was called "The gun game for the game gun".

Upland bird guns were used universally. Lots of Model 42 .410's had full choke barrels, which isn't all that much more than skeet. Quite a few SxS guns.

I sort of like 20 guage but I shoot a 12 most of the time since my 16 yard load is my skeet load. (1 oz of reclaimed shot).

I used to shoot a couple rounds with my duck iron just to tune in before season.

Use your favorite gun.

HM

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My favorite Skeet guns:

Remington 1100 Sporting .410 Gauge - 27" barrel. My favorite because it fits me well, always shoots where I look and has absolutely zero recoil!

Browning 525 Sporting .410 Gauge - 30" barrels. This is my Winter gun when I don't want the expensive hulls on the ground.

Remington 1100 Sporting 28 Gauge - 27" barrel

I have a Browning 425 30" with a full set of Briley fitted tubes too.

Jim Skeel

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Lostintheozone, I do like your sign on name. LOL. Any way My favorite ga to shoot skeet has to be the 28 ga. by far. It breaks targets like a 12 ga. and kicks like a 410. The patterns are just like magic, perfect shot placement within the circle time and time again. But the only down side is you have to reload these costly little subguage shells. If you don't want to bother with reloading I would recommend the 20 ga. as you can still shoot some nice economy loads at a good price that won't break the bank or your older shoulder. The good thing about the walmart loads are that they are a perfect 2 l/2 dram load for the 20's and not the higher 3 dram l l/8 oz. heavy target/field loads like in the 12 ga. that they have. You can have Briley install a full set (20,28,410) for the same price as just one other browning shotgun to shoot skeet with. This way you can get used to the extra weight of the tubes (and less recoil and better follow through in your swing) and if you get to the next step of the 410's your already set to go with no extra cost. Just another reloader. LOL. No go and have some fun now, ya hear. Break-em all. Jeff

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

28 IS a lot of fun. So's the .410. Damned frustrating - you can miss a target with the .410 and have no idea why.

I had a 95 a bit ago with the .410. Yeah, I'm bragging...that may be the best score I EVER break with that gun.

Pull & Mark is right...have Briley or Kolar put a tube set in and go have fun!!

9. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

12 may be the most popular, but the 28 was made for skeet...all the shot you really need coupled with light recoil.

The down side is the high cost of 28 ammo. I combat that by reloading 3/4 oz in a 20 gauge hull...it's a 28 load in a free yellow hull. These reloads actually have less felt recoil shot through my gun and tubes than the 28 does. Best of both worlds. These days I only shoot real 28's in a registered shoot and my hull stash is lasting MUCH longer.

I love the 410.......it just does not feel the same way towards me!

10. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

On practice/recreation fields you will see more 12 gauge guns than anything else.

As far as fun goes, it is really hard to beat the 28 gauge. But lately, like Mismost, I have been loading 3/4 oz 20 gauge loads. I am really beginning to like them a lot and they may soon edge out the 28 as my favorite. 3/4 oz of shot is plenty for skeet and definitely mild in the recoil department, but for me they seem to strike a good compromise. They use less powder than most 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads and hulls are much cheaper and easier to come by than 28 gauge.

11. johnboy

johnboy Member

Shooting 3/4 oz. in the 20 gauge makes sense to me. Hodgdon has a 3/4 load using International for the 20 gauge, what are you shooting?

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

International should be perfect for 3/4, I found it a little bulky for 7/8 and went to Universal.

The Walmart $4.76 20's are dandy, and they reload nice even with AA clone wads. I get a lot of them free at my club (dumpster diving) because a lot of non reloaders have 20's.

HM

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Anything larger than a 410 is fun.. Most of the big dogs in the game don't shoot 12 gauge anymore.. They shoot 20 gauge for both events.. and use the 28 and 410 in those other events.. and yes.. #9 shot..

14. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I like all four gauges, it is fun to switch each week.7/8 oz in the 12 and 20. 410 is my favorite. I have shot my best scores with the 28 ga.
    Skeet is a fun game and, unlike trap, you can have your own audience standing behind you that critiques every shot LOL.
    I guess I am saying use what you have, they all work fine.

Bob

15. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

lostinthe zone 28 guage is hands down the most fun to shoot.

16. johnboy

johnboy Member

I enjoy shooting both disciplines and maybe we will not upset the trapshooters discussing skeet loads. I tried using 7/8 wads loading 3/4 oz. shot and that did not work. I looked through one reloading catalog and they did not list 3/4 wads for the 20 gauge. What wads are you guys using to load 3/4 oz. in the 20 gauge? Thanks

17. WCR

WCR TS Member

Several years ago at the Middletown Sportsmans club I watched a guy shooting skeet with a Winchester lever action 410 and to my recolection he never missed a target.

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I do not have a 28, but I do have a light 20 gauge field gun that is fun to shoot skeet with. I have a tube set for my 32 inch trap gun for sporting clays, but when I play at skeet, I take the 20.

19. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

If you check the trash barrels at the San Antonio Gun Club, you will find the yellow hulls way outnumber anything else. Ron

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I prefer the 28 also.

Briley sidekicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
most beautiful skeet shooting
most popular gauge for a shotgun
most popular guage for skeet shooting
most popular skeet gun
most popular skeet shooting gauges