1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most memorable Christmas gift?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Most of us have experienced Christmas numerous times in our life time. One Christmas that I will always remember was the last Christmas that my Grandfather attended.

My grandparents drove to our house in their Desoto, and my brother and I ran out of the house to great them. That particular year there was no snow on the ground until later that evening.

My grandmother played our piano, as my mother handed out sheets of music with tradtional Christmas songs on them so we could all sing. My mother and grandmother made a great dinner and we ate and sang all night.

Than a 11:30pm we would all get dressed and walk down to the nearby church for the 12 midnight mass. Once we got home again, it was time for my mom and grandma to make a nice breakfast.

Afterwards, we would all go to bed, and in the morning we would open presents. The gift that I will always remember is a new baseball glove that I wanted with my heroe's name signed on it of Andy Pafko of the local Milwaukee Braves.

I remember my dad trying to form a pocket in that glove and advising me how I should take care of it. I just couldn't wait until Spring so I could use it.

What was your most memorable Chrsitmas and gift?
    Steve Balistreri

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

TWAS 1952 and my Dad Woke me up Christmas Morning and Gave Me A L.C. Smith SXS 20 gauge Shotgun.My Dad started this "addiction" i have had for 60 years and I MISS him Everyday. What a wonderful Father he was.Merry Christmas everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joe Whitehurst joe90t

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

When I was maybe 14 my dad gave me a 16 ga Ithaca model 37 pump he'd picked up in some pawn shop. Then as I continued opening packages enough money was in them to get it beautifully re-blued. That gun started my love affair with wingshooting. I eventually traded it for the same in a 20 gauge and I still have that twenty. I'm presently looking for a stock for it.

4. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

For my fourth birthday/Christmas present, my brother got me a little black Cocker Spaniel pup. We were inseparable for the next 2 years, until I went to school. He thought he was a mastiff, taking on any strange dog that came by the farm, but usually got his ass kicked! He got run over twice by cars, just about torn to bits by the crazy neighbors psycho German Shepherd, and was put down at age 14, when he started snapping at my mom. My brother just died last month, and I miss him like hell.

5. RayReys

RayReys Member

only pic of the box I could scrounge online:

My Grandparents got it for me...best big box opening I ever had.

rayreys_2011_0809143.jpg

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My best Christmas present was simply living long enough to see Christmas 2001. Almost bit the dust from pneumonia and was in the hospital only a couple of days before. Also became at ease with religion because of that.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Age 16 my dad bought me a Winchester 290 delux .22 rifle. That started the gun crazy habit I have now.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

This is not what I received so much as the interaction I had with my best friend..........who was my Father. He hated rats and mice and snakes.

For Christmas one year, I bought a white rat and a cage and wrapped them up and put it under the tree for him. He had a fun time with that present. (NOT)

He told me then, wait till next year. So I knew I was in for it, but hadn't a clue what he was dreaming up.

Well, come Christmas day and there is this strange package with my name on it under the tree.

I opened it up and it was a bunny rabbit. Then my Dad says it was a little bit more than that. It was a pregnant bunny rabbit.... He got me and got me good. I decided to call off upping the ante for next year. I'm sure one of would have been getting a goat or something along those lines.

As for the rabbit, Dad said he would take him back to the farmer, as he had only borrowed it for while just to scare me. It worked.

Hauxfan!

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

1976 my Mom and Dad(actually dad as my mom was against it) got me a Yamaha YZ80 Dirt Bike. It was actually a slightly used 1975 model. I didn't care one bit if it was used or new. I had a mini bike before that but always wanted a real dirt bike. Got my first stitches that spring after I racked my chin off the handlebar crossbar when my attempt to jump a small ditch didn't work as planned. Nearly lost the bike after that incident as mom was on a warpath for my dad to sell it. Mom cooled down and I got to keep the bike.

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

No contest! I met my wife on Christmas Day 1977, and it's been "Ho, Ho, Ho!" ever since!

LA in MA

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Mine was a little early, it was on the 22 of Dec 1972, an Air Force HH53 helicopter came to the B 52 that I was stuck in after the AC and I rode it into the gulf of Siam after getting hit but a surface to air missile when we were over Hanoi bombing them.

The rest of the crew punched out, I was in the tail, I blew the explosive bolts but my pod didn't come off, but the AC did a good job of ditching it

Damn that thing sunk fast but I was able to get out of the hole the SAM blew in my pod

I had pretty much kissed my a$$ goodbye

12. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

In 1963, my grandmother gave me a 20g. SXS shotgun for Christmas. I was 10 yrs. old. The next weekend, Dad took me to his duck club, and we shot our limit. I still have the gun. My son learned to shoot with it.

13. senior smoke

Catpower:
    I am glad you made it out a live.
    Steve

I read every response to my threads, good or bad. I wish I could say that I received a new shotgun for Christmas like some of you, but truth be told, after my father was wounded on Okinawa, he never wanted to see a gun again.

He would take me fishing or Archery. I believe, that most of you are so good in the shooting sports because some of you started shooting young, at least I try to believe that to justify why I am such a bad trapshooter.
    Steve

14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I feel foolish posting this after reading Catpower's entry. Mine, of course, won't compare! Thank you, Catpower, for your service and may God bless you in 2013!!!

A family tradition at our house was to allow my sister and I to open one gift after supper on Christmas Eve. The year I was eight years old I would pick up a wrapped box from under the tree and my dad would say, "Are you sure that is the one you want to open tonight?" After he had done this about four times he told me to look behind the curtain of the window behind the tree. There was a 16 guage Model 12, with an imp. cyl. 26" barrel! He had baought it from a guy at work with a case and a box of 21 shells,(the guy had shot it four times!,) for $50.

It has taken many a bobwhite over many different dogs alongside many good friends, including my dad. I still have it and always will! Martinpicker

15. clyslr

clyslr Member

I think this was 1962 and I was 12.

ClaySlayer (Dennis)
    clyslr_2008_290316.jpg

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wow Catpower. That is a hell of a present no doubt. The best present to all of us should be all who have served so that we may live free in this great Country.

Thank you Catpower and everyone else who has served.

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Thanks guys, I was proud to serve, don't think I would do it again, but it was easy to talk an 18 year old into that

But I have had many other great Christmas presents

18. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

I got alot of guns as a kid dirt bikes and such But the best gift I got was when Dad retired from the navy. And the family dinners we had But it was short lived Dad passed a year and a half later Drs said it was cancer caused by agent orange. Dad went in service when the japs bombed pearl Then it was korea than viet nam Retired after 30yrs at 47 died at 49 The best gift was the pride and love of my country He instilled in me Thank you to all the vets and merry christmas

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

The day Christ was born.

20. senior smoke

I asked my mother what was her best Christmas? Without any hesitation, she said the day your father returned from the war. Her eyes started to tear up, as though it just happened yesterday.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

my memorable gift in christmas forum