1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Effective Way to Practice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hejumper, Aug 5, 2013.

1. hejumper

hejumper Member

What thoughts are there on the most effective way to practice, a few rounds several times each week vs more rounds back to back fewer times a week. I can't get past 23/24. Is it better to try and do 3 rounds two or three times a week or do 8 or more rounds once a week? When I do miss it is usually a nice straightaway... Thanks, Larry

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As though you were in a shoot-off for every target you call for, in every practice or event!

Also, figure out a way to recognise the target you frequently miss for what it truly is as it exits the roof line????

HAP

3. powderburn

powderburn Member

3/4 oz loads up at 16 and 7/8 past the 22. Helps keep your head on the gun to focus on swing, makes your timing faster, and not a whole lot of room for mistake. Makes you really focus. -powderburn

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"holy mackerel" Try not to think.

5. zzoom

zzoom Member

I always try to shoot practice rounds with shooters who are better than me. Helps me concentrate. Will occasionally shoot by myself, then I try to work on specific things, such as stance, keeping head on stock, etc. shooting a box from posts giving me trouble, if really in slump, locking maching and shooting straight aways from post 3. My .02

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

practice on the 18 or 19 then when you get to the 16 it will be a lot closer and easier to hit..

7. hejumper

hejumper Member

Thank you all for the helpful comments so far.

8. Jeb2700

Jeb2700 Member

I try to get in 200 rounds per week 100 at the least and I spend time each day on my Terry Jordan Wall Chart dry firing.As far as loads go shoot what you're going to be shooting in competition. Mentally try to simulate the competition. My old football coach used to say you play like you practice!!!!!!!!!!!! Joel Brown

9. us820

us820 Active Member

I feel better shooting 150 twice a week than a 300 day.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a computer system (Dryfire) and practice 200 shots a day 5 days a week at home, then shoot the real thing two days a week. You will get very good.

11. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

You can practice to much in one session. You get tired and bad habits creep in. The old saying practice makes perfect isn't necessarily true. Perfect practice makes perfect. I had a shooting couch tell me if you are in a place where you can shoot 3-4 times a week and give 100% to 50 targets a night that's better then pounding out 250 to 300 targets in one night. But we are all different you have to find out what works for you. Goodluck

12. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I think there is something to be said for locking the trap on left or right(which ever is appropriate) and standing in the grass to the left of #1 or to the right of #5,

Sure makes those hard am\angles seem easier when in competition

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

7mag, is that why Kim Rhodes shoots 1000 targets a day. and won 5 Gold Metals?

14. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I'll bet she didn't start out shooting a 1000 targets a day. You think she might have worked into that?? Did she come back from being off and start in with shooting a 1000 a day? Bret Erickson is the shooting coach who I heard give that advice. Yeah the guy who shot in 4 Olympics & was the shooting coach for team USA. Plus most of us are no were close to Kim's mental game.

15. RedScare

RedScare Member

Never shoot less than 100 targets.

Use the same loads as competition.

Have a goal, an exercise, or shoot like a shoot off everytime.

Check your pattern often and adjust as necessary.

Exercises i do are:
    shoot a weak post till i get 25 straight.
    Shoot 10 or 20 birds from post to post.
    Shoot only posts 1 and 5

16. Wass

Wass Member

I wish I could shoot more, but if you are on a tight budget or work/family constraints, not always possible.

I shoot 50 targets a week, but I do it in a league. It is a nice social outlet and when I do shoot, I'm shooting for something (league payouts are based on how we shoot as a team and individual awards as well). That makes me focus harder as the 50 targets I shoot have some prize money on the line, so I try harder.

Beyond that, I shoot registered when I can (never as much time for that as I'd like either) as those targets mean more too.

I've never done much shooting just for practice, except when I was first starting out. Even then, I still shot league.

Wass