1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most desirable shot distribution

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I have heard and read discussions about the desirability of a hot core in a trap pattern. Why isn't a pattern with even pellet distribution a good thing? It seems like getting good breaks even when the hit is not pertfectly centered would be good.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is a good thing. That is why people send their guns out to have the barrels fine tuned. HMB

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

A hot core may or may not be a good thing. It depends on which barrel smith you ask.

I like an even pellet distribution in the inner 21.2" circle. I do my pattern analysis using Shotgun Insight. After the analysis is complete, I click "clay edge" and look at the inner 20" circle. The less blue (where an edge on clay could get through) the happier I am.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

An even distribution would be great: however, shot is distributed in a random pattern within the 20 inch circle. A much better distribution of the shot would be where the on the target. If someone knows how to load shells with that type of distribution, please send me an e-mail.

Pat Ireland

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Check out the link shown above. I tried new glasses to examine my patterns but I am still reluctant to try the next suggested solution.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Use enough choke so that you can read your breaks. The denser center will tell you when you are on. In other words if you had a perfectly uniform pattern distribution you would not be able to tell when you were comming away from center breaks and about to miss one. Hard breaks provide positive reinforcement and will serve you much better than just cracking them in half.

Jim Skeel

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- I fully agree with you. But, I am also grateful for my chips. They count as a dead target and tell me I had better tighten up or a miss will come soon.

Pat Ireland

8. wlc

wlc Member

I am always grateful for chips also and try to use them as a wake up call. I don't think that I can reliably read breaks though. At the fringe of my patterns I can imagine shooting behind a target and having a couple of pellets hit the front of the target making it appear that the shot was in front.

9. wlc

wlc Member

Gary, I have patterned my fixed .032 single barrel and my .020 bottom o/u barrel at 30 yards. The .032 has a denser center and fairly even outer area to about 22" diameter. The .020 has a less dense center and is larger overall, but what I consider to be effective density is still only about 22". I don't shoot higher scores with the more open choke and don't hit them as hard. With these choices, I think I am better off shooting the .032.

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

In my mind I don't want a big spread to 'make up' for my mistakes in aim. I want the tightest pattern I can get as far out as I can. 'I' want to be the determining factor in if I hit a bird. Not a big pattern. How in the heck am I ever going to be able to get really good if I'm always working with a big spreading pattern? I don't know about others, but my gun shoots where I point it. And if I miss, I want the onus to be on me. Not my loads. Jim

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, there is nothing incompatible between "choking for smoke" and trying for an "even" pattern, or trying to enlarge the "effective" pattern. In fact, you want all three at the same time.

Let me give you an example. I hit singles targets at 30 yards or slightly closer, on average. So that is where I pattern for singles. I also believe that PEs in the 80% to 85% range at target distance gives you the best overall chance of breaking the bird. I actually shoot for 85%.

I decided to pattern an after market Modified choke tube I bought for a gun I used to own. At 30 yards, it threw PEs from 1 oz. 7 1/2 loads in the 92%-94% range. That's pretty tight. Way tighter than you need if everything else is right. It wasn't. There were always many holes in the patterns big enough to let an edge-on clay through. Many were in the central 10" circle that many call the "core". Moving back to let the pattern open up a little and even out did not work. The holes were just bigger. Things only improved when I moved closer. That was the only way I could get a continuous sure kill area, even if it was only 12" to 15" in diameter. By any measure, the performance of this tubs and load sucked.

The Technoid and Brindle show the center of the pattern is always going to be hotter than the outer bands. If you've done any patterning at all, you know they are correct. At ATA trap distances (with suitable PEs) the core is almost always hot enough to smoke centered birds. That smoke tells you you are on target. So anything you use in the 75% to 85% range at target distance is "choking for smoke". Now worry about the rest of the equation, evenness and effective pattern size. You need dense and even at a minimum. Extending the effective diameter of the pattern is a plus. The larger it is without opening holes an edge-on target could slip through, the better is is.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Magic.

Evenly-distributed trap patterns are Bigfoot sightings. Go back to see and they are never there.

Pattern-hole counts are snipe hunts.

Put in full for handicap, more open if you want for singles; go down to modified there if you like, it will make little difference. It's well worth testing to see what's marked "full" really is but beyond that, just shooting will go a longer way to improve your scores than a lifetime of theorizing about your patterns.

Neil

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, Neil. Have you been talking to Leo, Dan, Sean, Kay, Harlan and Ray again???

;-)

Jim

Michigan

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

wlc, an even distribution would be the desireable goal (atleast in my view).

If all I cared about was a holeless pattern for 16's, this shouldn't be that hard to acquire regardless of the neysayers. I would contact Wilkenson, Ellor or Wrights. For 16's this should amount to .018-.022 constriction and have them set it up for 1200 fps and 9's.

Handicap and even distribution (longer distances) is where the circumstances may very well not be acheiveable.

I want to add this. If your goal is only to break high scores at 16's this is an approach to follow. Iam also going to inform you that should your goal be a good all around shooter, messing with loose chokes for 16's will have a detrimental affect for your handicap game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.