1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most common shotgun on the trap line ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

What brand and model of shotgun is the most common one seen on the trap range ?

Not what is the best or should be the most common.

Not among the ATA registered shooters and other serious shooters.

But what is the most common shotgun on trap ranges in America among everyone stepping up to the line ?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Thats kinda like asking "What brand and model of auto is the most common auto seen on the hiway." Lots of different answers.

GneJ

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Boxers or briefs. There is no right answer and does it really matter.

Don

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Our club has league shooting with a lot of participants who do not shoot other venues.

In the past there was, at first a rack full of 870's and 1100's. Later on they were replaced with BT-99's. At this time you will see a mixture of everything from Mossbergs to a few K & P guns.

I'm sure other areas have different situations.

HM

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I could of answered that 30 yrs. ago.
    In the last few years upon arriving at the Grand American, Sparta,Il.
    I parked on the trap line, saw a friend shooting, and walked up to the trap line & sat and watched my friend shoot. As I sat down I noticed the guns of the next squad, 4 Alferman Single barreled trap guns , I think all guns had a 3 digit serial number. Were else would you see that, at my local club, I am not sure anyone would know what they were.
    Last spring I had the opportunity to shoot with Charlie Long, Texas & two of his friends. We all shoot Kolar's. Jeff Mainland would be happy.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We must put an end to this profiling. HMB

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

BT = good gun for the $$$$

8. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

299 out of 300 shooters agree: 12 Gauge

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

In our area, Browning XT by a long way. About taken over at our club.
    John

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Our club has gotten a lot older and recoil sensitive. Many of the Perazzi, Kreighoff, Beretta O/U crowd are now back to shooting 1100's and 391's. Of those who still shoot O/U, bump busters and other recoil reduction systems are popular

11. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I can say I have seen them all at our club,most popular tho is Browning.

I remember tho in the first few weeks a gentleman from Greece coming to out club. He was toteing a Weatherby Orion, he then proceeded to announce that it was far supirior to those cheap Brownings.

They told him shhhhhhhhhhh he was in Browning country.

Jerry Lewis

12. superump

superump TS Member

Our club has two popular guns that a lot of people own. The first one is the BT 99 and number two is the Ljutics. Some of our club has gone to the Beretta 682 Gold E combo but there are not that many of them yet.

13. FIB

FIB Member

I think it somewhat depends on where you shoot and who you shoot with. I sometimes shoot at a small club in central WI and the most popular gun is probably a 870. I also shoot occasionally at another club in S. WI and the most popular there is probably a P,K or L gun.

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

K80s are popular in my area (Central Ohio), but lately I'm seeing more BTs.

Regards.....Gerald

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

In PA it's gotta be Krieghoff K-80's. Plenty of entire squads of 'em!!

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would venture to say that the actual large percentage are lower to medium price class guns when taking the whole trap shooting community into consideration. This includes the non-registered shooters as well. Then again i might be shocked at the real answer. Where's the stats people on this forum when you need 'em?

Matt

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It really depends on where you live.. and how much money the area has.. For many it's 870 pumps and Beretta 390/391 Auto's.. For some it's Mossbergs and Browning BT-99/100's...

Then some area's is a good mix of Perazzi's,Krieghoff's..and a few Kolars.. with a smattering of SKB's.. Once in a while a Browning slips in..and a Winchester model 12..

At the end of the day.. they ALL break targets.. shoot good scores..and have a GREAT time..

A few weeks ago..a man shooting a Browning 28 gauge.. 26" barrels skeet chokes had as much fun as anyone out there..

Bottom line is.. learn how to shoot.. strive to get better..and don't put yourself in the hole buying an expensive gun that doesn't leave you enough money to shoot.. have it properly fitted.. take a few classes.. or cause problems in your house..

The rest will follow.. While one is learning... shoot whatever you can get your hands on..I promise you.. one or more will talk to you.. The more you shoot and understand..the louder the sound will be.. when you shoot what's best for you.. It's like slow dancing with a woman... When you hold the RIGHT one close.. you'll know it.. All Good.. Mike

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Does ATA have a questionaire at the Grand the way that NSSA does at the World Shoot? I assume such a questionaire is a marketable item for ATA and they take advantage of it. However, it may not be available to the rest of us who don't pay for it.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

XT by a big margin.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The bottom line is nobody really knows.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
most common ata trap gum

most popular trap shotgun