1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MOST CLUBS NEED A TYRANT TO RUN A GUN CLUB!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    I miss the days when the local tyrant ran the area gun club. at the time this was happening, most people couldn't stand the sob. you had to ask this person in charge for every possible thing wanted, and usually the answer was no. one good thing about someone like this running the club, was usually there were never surprises when you went to the club. clubs run by these people are in a time warp, even if you haven't been to this club for twenty years. when you look back years later, you wonder maybe the local tyrant knew what he was talking about. they wanted to keep cost of shooting low, so most people could afford to shoot. they lived, worked, ate, and sometimes slept at the local club. they felt that their club needed to be protected from anti gunners and nay sayers. many of you i am sure, knew local tyrants who at one time or another ran a gun club. i wonder if some ways, this may have been a good thing. i feel you need a Harry Truman type to run a club, " where the buck stops here". what do you think? have any of you witnessed this type of person running a gun club, and what are the good and bad points about it?
    steve Balistreri

2. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

oh steve YES

my ideal club:

manager is retired military

no board of directors or committees in his way

manager has a Gary Cooper vocabulary== "yep" or "nope"

club is open when it is supposed to be

machines all work except the one manager is working on

no theft

i can travel !

ernie

3. Tjack

Tjack TS Member

YES THIS IS USUALLY A GOOD THING BUT THE ONE I KNEW SKIMMED THE CLUB REAL BAD. BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THE SHOOTS WERE ALWAYS BIG AND RAN LIKE CLOCK WORK. AFTER YEARS GONE BY OF GREAT SHOOTS THE GUY LEFT AND THE CLUB WAS TOO BROKE TO BUY TARGETS. WAS IT WORTH IT??? i DON'T KNOW.

4. senior smoke

smith47- you understand exactly!!!
    steve

5. senior smoke

tjack35313- when someone in charge leaves for whatever reason, i always hear alot of negative reasons. one thing i have never heard, "he was a great worker, and he helped the club while he was here". even though i don't know the situation at the club you are speaking about, i am sure the shoots were great to attend during that time.
    steve

6. jrton80

jrton80 Member

I knew a manager just like that. When I started shooting in the early 80's he ran the Airport Gun Club in Lancaster, Ohio. As I remember his name was Paul Butterbaugh and his wife (Elsie?) used to be the cashier and cook. Paul would be Ssquad Hustler, repaiman, groundskeeper, painter, tour director and anything else he needed to be. Ran a very tight ship. I remember one night after a 500 bird marathon on a Saturday, he stayed up all night rebuilding a machine for the Sunday program just because he didn't think the targets were being thrown right and the machine sounded strange. He used to keep the grounds immaculate and edged and the sidewalks in great shape. You always knew where he stood on issues and it was just a great place to shoot. Thanks for the thread (and the memories). Jeff

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve,

The person you describe was OK 30 years ago. Todays gun club manager must be more than some putz who can open the doors, fill the machines and collect the money.

Target management systems now require computer versatility and familiarity. New customers require a knowledgeable FRIENDLY and helpful person to introduce them to the gun club and the members. Members want service and a smile along with machines that work, clean restrooms and a pleasant shooting environment.

Unfortunately most clubs fail to recognize the business aspect of the operation before its too late. Or they just languish along with no growth (kind of like the ATA). Today there are so many ways to spend the few entertainment dollars a person has, gun clubs have to offer a "Shooting experience" that is fun, safe competitive and family oriented if they expect to survive. The manager has to be an ambassador of good will and a cost watchdog as well. The old curmudgeon you describe is, unfortunately, not the guy for the job.

Bob Schultz

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

LasVegas Gun Club's Steve Carmicheal is the perfect example of what a gun club manager should be in todays business world ... He is a Top gun, straight shooter, and a good guy on top of it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. senior smoke

BOB SCHULTZ- there is alot of truth to what you say. it reminds me of a question from a football fan recently " could Vince Lombardi coach in this day and age and still be successful with the new players of today?????
    steve

10. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

As someone who has run a few shooting clubs although not trap clubs I would say the important qualifications are putting safety first above all no compromises, knowing which decisions have to be made by only one individual and how to live with the consquences.

To quote Sarah Palin "We are expected to govern with integrity, good will, clear convictions, and ... a servant's heart." I think that covers it well.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The tyrant won't work out at most clubs today because we rely on volunteer help to get things done. Even a small club will need a 1/2 dozen volunteers each putting in a couple hundred hours of work per season. The only payment the volunteers get is the satisfaction of contributing and that would dissapear under a tyrant.

Today's successful club manager or president has to be the opposite of a tyrant he has to be a team captain.

12. senior smoke

wolfram- point well taken. years ago though. when the tyrant asked most people to donate some time to help the club, they were afraid to say no to this person.
    steve

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I think "tyrant" is the wrong term...."Benevolent Dictator" would be more appropriate.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have no problem with someone who wants to "Be the Man" so to speak. If he's putting that kind of work in, he deserves to call the shots. I do have a problem with A$$holes though.

Tron

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'll go with the 'Benevolent Dictator' Ahab, they are kind of rare birds though.

16. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Unfortunatly, the bottom line is money. You as the shooter have to figure out whether it is for the clubs benefit or the managers. If the club is owned by the manager, that is one thing. If it is a paid position then the outflow of monies needs to be addressed by the board or owner. Too many times the members do not have a clue as to what is happening. Sometimes they do not care... until it is too late.

17. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

people who know how to successfully manage a gun club (or anything) have already solved the problem. it is not a closely guarded secret. it is sound business practices. people who don't know how are talking about the problem and expressing opinions ?

ernie

18. senior smoke

over the years through clubs across America i have seen and heard about well intentioned board of directors causing problems for clubs. one of the problems that exist is that usually not all board members on the same page and want different things for their club. maybe in my opinion, a club is easier to run with one strong person at the helm making the decisions. not one person could possibly know all the answers, but if a board is neccessary, they might be better served as in a consultant type compacity rather than voting bods. i would think trying to get anything passed might end up like in congress, where who ever has the majority wins or who ever wants the same things for the club sticks and votes together.
    steve balistreri

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Most clubs have a couple of "clicks" that need to be managed... someone with thick skin, strong personality and focus on the goal as CEO. While the bottom line is dollars, getting the dollars takes marketing and motivating your troops... running a club isn't a hobby anymore, the margins aren't forgiving.

One guy/gal can't do it any longer. Its takes cooperation and delegation of authority to make things happen. Using an auto analogy, a club has got to fire on all cylinders...

Jay

20. senior smoke

spitter- it is the clicks that may cause problems for the club and members,
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to run a gun club

how to run a trrap club

paul butterbaugh airport gun club