1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Most accurate cartridge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very hard to beat anything based on the 308Win...the 260Remington I bought is phenomenal and thats in a light barrel gun (Rem Mod 7)..no kick..loves heavy for caliber bullets and shoots very flat with lots of retained energy for long range rams...the 280AI is great too for out to 7-800yds..looking to get one some day if PaPa O will allow

2. drgondog

drgondog Member

Ray - both the .308 and .223/5.56 are really great cartridges wit a wide range of bullets to chose from. The .223 is half the power for re-loading.

The 7mm-08 has also been a very accurate cartridge with a wide range of bullets,

3. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Well this is dangerous to even think of saying THE MOST ACCURATE but for my two cents worth, here goes. You asked for easy to obtain in a factory gun and easy to get ammo. Ok My first thought is 22-250 . I shoot this and you have a small range of bullet weights with a wide range of bullet styles so you should be able to find a good match for any factory rifle you find. A nice Savage Rifle is not going to set you back real far on cash. I like a 50 to 55 grain Hornady V max bullet and changing speeds can get it to match your rifle. Again Factory ammo is easy to get for this chambering. My other thought is 17 hmr but your requirements on distance will sure push that beyond its design. But it sure is fun to learn your scope settings to take it out long. Just my 2 cents worth here..

Gery

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

If you want something that will shoot bugholes, I would look for an old Remington 700 Varmint Special in 222, or 223. Since you would be reloading, you could get Lapua brass for the 223. Plus, although not as pretty, you can get a pretty cheap heavy barrel Remington in 223 these days. Economical and will get your requested job done from 100-300 yards. Much past that and I would start to wonder about wind drift, depending on what bullet you were running.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

22-250 has been my tack driver for quite a while

But my 300 Weatherby is also real good but I shoot the 250 because it is a lot cheaper

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've got great groups at a hundred yards using Remington Premier Match Rifle 6.8mm. This has the 115 grain Sierra Matchking BTHP, 2775 fps. Very good ammo out of a heavy barrel 700.

Wayne

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Tom Sietz built and shot benchrest rifles before his trap days. One of his record breaking targets used to be in the ATA Hall of Fame. His opinion was nothing beats a .222 within its range. Jimmy Borum

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

With a good rifle, good ammo, good reloads, good optics and weather cond, so on any cal will be accurate with the right person behind the gun

9. Robb

Robb Member

I had a 1970's Varmint Special in 222.It would do one ragged hole at 100yds all day. 4895 and the Hornady 55sx. I think the case was full for a compressed load but one would want to check the books.

Sold that gun and have gone through countless others but nothing shot like that old Remington.

10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

In the over the counter ammo category... For me it would be a 22-250 shot from a Sako model 75 single shot (really stiff action).
    Second would be a .223 Rem shot from a Cooper Varmint Extreme or an older Kimber single shot with a tight chamber.

Now those two above are available over the counter....

In the reloader area... by far... hands down... the 6mm PPC is the king of accuracy in the 100-200 yard range. Custom bullets, neck turned fire formed cases, tight chambers, attention to primer pockets and primers and shoulder bump.... VV powder..... sweet

Art

11. redfin

redfin TS Member

6 mm ppc,i have seen lots of one hole groups from that cartrage. joseph

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Mine is .243, out of a Savage 110. 4-16x weaver with 1/8" dot, harris bipod. All of the Federal Premium factory ammo in this gun is better than I am.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

.32-40.. Harry Pope liked it..

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've seen more people win matches with the 6.8mm than anything else in particular.

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

6.5X55 is a very accurate. low recoil,commercially available round.If I was shooting 300 or less it would be this cartridge.If I was shooting 500 meter silhouettes I would go with the 7mm-08.

Darr

16. turmite

turmite Member

Nothing but the 6 PPC! For the ranges you posted, this is the single most accurate cartridge there is!

Mike

17. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

For a factory rifle and factory ammo, get a Savage in 6mm NORMA BR.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FCLASS

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

18. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Factory stock, and not breaking the bank or floating a loan for a gun, a new Savage in .308. Guns pillar bedded with a great trigger. Add a Nikon 4x12 50mm scope with good quality rings and base. Shoot Federal 150-168 gr. ammo and you have a gun that will do anything you need to do. The more you shoot it the better it gets, with the proper break in, cleaning and care. Ammo's available almost any where, for the time being. 300 yards is a chip shot. Just do it. F/S

19. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Another vote for the 6mm PPC

20. C-Money

C-Money Member

My first thought was the .17hmr, but not past 100yards. 7mm-08 and 22-250 for the requirements listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.