1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mossburg 500

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ricks1, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

anyone have info on the Mossburg 500 410 ???? looks like a good shooter rick

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]<br>
    Mossberg 500 .410

[​IMG]<br>
    Mossberg Bantam Youth .410

I've often thought about this myself. Let's compare the Mossberg to the 870 Wingmaster 410 and the Browning 410 BPS.

The Mossberg has a fixed full choke, whereas the Wingmaster has a modified choke. The Browning uses screw in choke tubes.

The Mossberg has a 24"barrel, 870 25" and the BPS a 26".

The Mossberg weighs 6-1/4 lbs, the 870 (if I recall right) 6-1/2 lbs and the BPS is 7 lbs. The Mosserg has an aluminum receiver, while the Remington and BPS have steel receivers. The BPS weighs the most because it has no side ejection port (it's a bottom ejector).

The Mossberg has a fixed full choke. The Remington has a fixed modified choke. The Browning has screw in choke tubes.

The Mossberg and Browning have their safeties on the upper rear of the receiver, whereas the Remington is a crossbolt safety in the trigger guard.

The Mossberg has "hardwood" stocks (birch or beech). The Remington and Browning have walnut.

The Mossberg action is the least smooth of the three. It will 'wear in", but the main issue is that the mag tube finish is not smooth. By the time it is smooth, the blueing will wear through in spots. The Remington, in my opinion, is the smoothest, with the Browning right on its heels.

All three are reliable guns.

The Mossberg is the cheapest at $364 MSRP. The Browning is in the middle at $639 MSRP, and the Remington "starts at" $785 MSRP (could not find an actual price but it is at least that or more). Retail should be cheaper, of course.

All three will work OK for hunting. The Mossberg is attractive because of its light weight and short barrel, especially for squirrel hunting in the woods. Also, it's the kind of shotgun, due to price and aluminum receiver, that you don't worry about in the rain, though the hardwood stocks better be taken off and be sealed 100%, because they tend to plump up like Ball Park Franks when they get wet. If I was doing serious upland hunting with a 410, I think I'd rather go with the 870 Wingmaster. Personally, I do not like bottom eject shotguns, but the Browning BPS has screw in choke tubes, and that make it a very useful gun. At one time I wanted an 870 Wingmaster for field use, but if I get around to it, I'd probably settle for the Mossberg now, since I've been pretty rough on field guns lately.

For shotgun sports, again while I don't care for the bottom eject, the Browning BPS has screw in choke tubes, so I'd have to rate it first, since it will be more useful for skeet and sporting clays. The choke probably won't matter as much for trap, so perhaps the 870 is next due to a mod choke, but frankly a 410 for trap is not going to be anything other than a fun gun.

Note that at one time Mossberg made an 18" pistol grip security version of their 410. This was a cylinder bore barrel with no rib. Some hunters found these useful for walking old roads in the woods or brush with fast breaking quail. Mossberg no longer lists these barrels, but may still have some in stock. Or it might be possible to get a replacement 24" barrel with vent rib and have the choke opened up or the barrel cut back to get rid of the choke.

Also, the price of the Mossberg is such that it might be possible to have Briley install choke tubes and still be cheaper than buying the Browning BPS, which has choke tubes.

Mossberg also makes a synthetic buttstock for the .410, but it is their Bantam model, with a 13" LOP intended for youths (it was also used on their security .410, which was intended for women). Still, if you're squirrel or rabbit hunting in cold weather, this might be an idea. And it will help raise your eye up a bit over the rib, since this happens when field stocks are shortened.

EDIT: I forgot about the Mossberg Bantam Youth .410 model. It has the short stock already, has a slimmer black forend, and weighs 6 lbs. MSRP is the same at $364. If you look closely at the Bantam stock, it not only is shorter for LOP (by 1") but the pistol grip is closer to the trigger guard.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Well a little correction the Mossy is a 500 field grade and is 24 full vent my cost is $237 a 410 is not a serious trap gun anyway. but will work for the home type and the others are 3 times the price and for a 410 toy that is a bit much. If I were to want to put that in one I would add $1000 and get a 42 win. will let you all know by late week

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    $237 is a good price. Heck, maybe I'll be more tempted to find one to play with. I just don't like the cost of the shells.

5. steele

steele TS Member

I have a Model 600 .410. From what I see, it looks exactly like the 500. ???

6. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I had a friend that bought a 500 in .410 to use on occasional skeet. It continued to break extractors. Mossberg solution was to give him a handful of extractors for replacement when they break??? Colonel

7. mt92

mt92 Member

I have a BPS and shot a little of everything with it and it wotks great. My only complaint is the heavy trigger pull.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I only one I have had any experience with was a Walmart gun and the guy who bought it wanted to use it for small guage skeet. This gun put the shot where you were looking but it didn't cycle well at all. Lots of jams regardless if you pumped it fast or slow. Also the M500 will never be considered a thing of beauty.

The BPS is a much better gun in my opinion as it should be at about twice the price of the M500. My favorite .410 is the M42 Winchester unfortunately most M42 owners feel the same about their guns and the prices for these guns are very high and getting higher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.