1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg Silver Reserve

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Odawgp, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odawgp

Odawgp TS Member

Has anyone here used on of these?

I am looking for a entry level gun for the wife and was thinking i'd get something that was some what dual purpose. both 20/28 ga i shoot a red label 12ga and the wife doesn't like the recoil of it or I would just buy myself another one and let her shoot my old red label.

I don't think she will shoot enough to warrant a real high dollar one like browning citori or beretta OU or even another Red Label. here is a link to one on the GB website, mossbergs website doesn't go into much detail. they are a real good looking gun for the money. at least from what i can see.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70769407

Q. do they have auto ejectors?

thanks

clint

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

I don't think they are worth the money at any price. They are just another Turkish cheap gun that will not last.

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Consider going to a Beretta 3901 Target (12" LOP)or a full size 391 if your wife can handle the LOP. Use a 1 oz. lite load. Recoil should not be a problem. If your wife does not take to it then you can recoup most of your money on a resale.
    Mike Battista

4. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

I'd avoid the Silver Reserve. I bought one and is wouldn't reliably fire one barrel. If you're looking for an entry level gun, I'd suggest that you look at the Remington Spartan series. These are Bakil shotguns imported by Remington.

I have one that I don't shoot much since I purchased my Winchester Select, but its a good gun for the money. You can get ported barrels if you want them, and the ejectors can be disabled with the turn of a screw.

After market extended chokes are available for them as well.

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Well you asked, so here is my 2cents worth. The mossberg O/U will probably hold up to light use and ocassion shooting, however that being said, I would invest in a better gun. That way if your wife becomes a frequent shooter, she will not have toupgrade her gun at a latter date. After a few thousand rounds the cheaper generic O/Us start to get loose and have extensive firing pin wear. As Mike stated above a semui auto will be very light recoiling especially with 1 oz. loads, and you can probably find a deal on a used one. If you just have to have an O/U, I would advise buying a quality "used" one. In the end it will hold up much better.

6. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I'd avoid the cheap imports. Parts breakage, low resale value, light weight so heavy recoil. Best "entry" trap gun is a new or used gas-gun Rem 1100 trap, or Beretta 391 RL or 3901 Target that Mike recommends, whichever she likes the feel of best. Sad truths: shopping by price is a killer mistake in a target gun, and if you want a shooting partner in your wife, be prepared to spend enough that she'll really enjoy herself, in fact make her initial enthusiasm your highest priority, otherwise it'll be a lose-lose. Phil E

7. mecman

mecman TS Member

That gun will definately make her want to give up shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gary

8. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I also recommend either a Rem 1100 or the Beretta 391/3901.

All are very soft shooting and a much better gun value wise

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Had one in my shop the other day, pretty rough and this one was shooting 10 inches low at 20 yds. Not impressed even for the price.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm kinda suprised that DeHann has never come on here to defend HIS guns....they sure are pretty, BUT...they kinda look like they may be a '58 Edsel with '69 Camaro bodywork, if you get my analogy.

11. Odawgp

Odawgp TS Member

Sounds like a looser to me, I have a rem 1000 classic trap, I shoot the Red label for skeet and doubles trap. she has shot trap with my 1100 before but she tends to prefer skeet but doesn't like the recoil in the red label. although I don't seem to think there is any recoil. with 7/8oz loads in either gun, and they are a little light to reliably cycle the 1100 to shoot doubles trap or skeet. I was looking to buy a 20 or 28 red label but if i can find a combo gun like a citori lighting ou that will shoot either by just changing the barrel assembly but those are near 3 grand. I like the red label but since buying a TC ENCORE that is so versatile, i have a hard time buying a gun the shoots only one ga/cal

Thanks, for the feed back i had seen threads else where about these and most where positive so thought that i would try my own else where. looks like i will just keep saving and buy a good gun.

clint

12. srk147

srk147 TS Member

You mentioned buying a TC ENCORE...I have one also and was considering a 12 or 20 gauge barrel for it. Any experince with either or those for trap shooting?
    Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to tell if your mossberg silver reserve is a combo

looking to buy a mossberg trap gun

mossberg silver reserve 2 forums

mossberg silver reserve 28 gauge trap

mossberg silver reserve combo for sale

mossberg silver reserve for trap

mossberg silver reserve with ejectors

mosseberg silver reserve trap