1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg Reserve O/U Opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dr.t, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.t

dr.t TS Member

Thinking about buying a Mossberg O/U Reserve in 12 Gauge. Felt pretty darn good and I really liked the fit and finish was pretty good. Seen they are made in Turkey. Would like your opinions if you own one or what you have heard about them. Would be using primarily for pheasant hunting 2 times a year.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

2 members got the sporting version, had trouble with fire pins. all though it took some time both had their issues resolved.

3. trappug

trappug TS Member

I have had this old mossberg A500 pump for about 24 years.I cant sell it nobody wants it,so its been hanging aroud for along time.Its been dropped in the dirt,water,sand,and broke 2 stocks.Repair is cheap because the parts are everywhere.Definatly not my favorite gun.But I must say,I can probably shoot it just as good as my beretta.(And I still have it)But I want to tell you a little story about what happened at my local gun club.A friend that I worked with decided to buy a shotgun(made in turkey over under)and come out to shoot with a couple of my other buddys.With out consulting us first to help him get a decent gun to shoot with.Well all I can say is he had about 12 rounds through it,Opened the breach to load his next shell,and some how when he had his hand on the forend and went to close it he touched something and the forend stock cam off and the gun came apart right next to me.The barrel hit the ground,and he was standing there holding the forend wood in one hand,and the reciever and but stock in the other.I have never seen any thing like that before.I guess what im trying to say is do plenty of research before you purchase any gun.Maybe try to stay away from newer cheap guns.Look for a better quality older gun.(made in turkey?)

4. dr.t

dr.t TS Member

maclellan1911, the members who had problems with them, were they using them weekly for trap,skeet, sporting clays. I would as said be using it only twice a year for pheasant hunting.

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

The two guys that I know that bought them no longer have them. One broke 3 firing pins very quickly. Both were shooting trap but didn't shoot much at all before the guns broke. One of the guys finally took the gun back and got his money back. I would not own one if it was given to me.

Mike

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes they are useing them for trap and doubles. 1 member had problems right from the start, the other had a failure to fire secound shot and a lot of weak hits on lower barrel. Both broke lower fire pins. One member ended up just getting new pins sent to him, it took about 10weeks as there where none avalible. The other sent his back. They sent a new gun in its place. Both still shoot them, just not so much. More becouse of cost of shooting. No problems mentioned since. shotgunworld has a a good history of these and other turkish guns. for hunting and little use you just cant go wrong with a 870. or a used citori for just a tad more.

7. darr

darr Well-Known Member

They are a fine hunting gun.Meant for about 250 rounds a year.Kid at ou club got one for trap and it would not hold up.

Darr

8. gold40

gold40 Member

You might be interested in the following somewhat related story....

Cabel's is selling a turkish-made SxS for $350 under the name "CHARLES DALY." Looks decent, and comes with 3 choke tubes. So, I tried one....

First time out, it "doubled" firing both barrels at the same time about every 5th shot. I returned it to Cabela's (St. Louis) and they were very nice about the refund/return.

Perhaps, I got one of the few lemons, but I'd be cautious about any low priced turkish shotgun.

Jerry

9. Scotchman

Scotchman TS Member

I purchased a 20 ga. Silver Reserve last year to shoot in the duck blind as I didn't want to beat up my better ones and it fit and shot great. I plan on using it again this year. As many have said above I think there were some quality control issues with Turkish firearms as each new line is started but I think that they have that figured out now and it's hard to beat the prices as long as the retailer takes care of you.

To each his own....

Good Hunt'n

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would tend to think that an 870 or 1100 would be a much better gun for the money. That Mossberg is probably a little lively on the recoil side to deal with.

I'll stick with my BPS 20 ga for upland hunting. If I can't take them down with 7/8oz of 6's, I don't need to be out there.

ec90t

11. stskid

stskid TS Member

Dr. t

Bought a 20 ga. Silver Reserve mid part of last year. Fired 2 boxes of shells through it to prepare for pheasant season and both firing pins broke. Returned to Mossberg's warranty house for service. Service was prompt and I haven't had a problem since. Used the gun for the last part of pheasant season and it worked fine.

The quality of the gun is what you would expect for an entry level o/u. Wood is rather plain, The fitup of metal to wood parts is allright at best.

For me, I think I got what I paid for, so I wouldn't complain too much, as long as the gun continues to work.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Like running the tour de France in a Huffy with the banna seat and handle bar basket.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

ec90t

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Mossberg O/U import is junk. It not a good value for the buck it is a waste of money. Buy a classic american pump second hand, something like a M12, or M870 Wingmaster or a M37 Ithaca. They all shoot well, they are all very sturdy and reliable and they hold their value. Why even consider buying crap when you have this bounty of great shotguns made right here?

If you think you need an O/U to be stylish the Mossgerg won't fill that bill either.

15. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I have looked at Mossberg and Stevens 512 and Steoger (not sure if spelling is right) O/U. Have been to approximately 5 gun shops, 3 of which are privately owned. ALL told me any or these over and unders are good for hunting and you shouldn't have any issues fot hunting, BUT if you are trap shooting, sporting clays, etc stay away from only the Steoger. I purchased the Stevens 512 and have run about 1500 rounds through it with no problem (knock on wood) shooting sporting clays. I have owned 3 Mossbergs, 2-20 ga. and one 12 ga., all pumps. All my close friends tease me about the rattling forearms (which I haven't had one yet that doesn't), but let me tell you I have shot double what these guys have shot, small game and waterfowl along with a alot of deer. You cant beat them. When I go hunting we pound the brush and I sure dont want to take a $1000 gun in the brush. My friend owns an older Steoger and has ran about 7000-8000 round through it with no problem, but recentley purchased a new Steoger ran about 500 rounds through it and the firing pin broke.

16. Carl7650

Carl7650 TS Member

I have the Mossberg Reserve 12G,and put about 1000 rounds threw it trap shooting. Everything was fine till the bottom firing pin broke.I took the gun apart and made my own pin. Just shotly after that the top one went,,, when shooting doubles. So back to the lathe to make another.I had oil hardened the pins and this made them a little softer than the original pins.Everthing is fine now with maybe aother 1000 rounds threw the gun.
    But it was time for a new gun (Browing XT).Now that I have been introduced to Skeet,,I will take that Mossberg out and give it try. Its got to be better than the 32" XT for shooting Skeet.But we will see.
    But as far as the gun goes,,,,I am not sorry I bought it,,infact its a OK gun for the money.Would I buy another Yes,,,,if the need was there.
    Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is the opinion of a mossberg silver reserve shotgun