1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg or Remington

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JDEERE, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

Looking at buying a youth shotgun for my daughter. I have never owned a Mossberg, how do they compare to the 870 in quality etc. Thanks, S.D.

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Not sure on the overall comparison, but the 870 has more felt recoil.

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

There is NO comparison-----The Rem. 870 will last almost forever and the Mossberg will wear out fast if shot very much.This is just my opinion but, have been messing with shotguns since i was a boy. Joe joe90t

4. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Not sure about Mossberg but I am pretty sure that with a Remington you can buy the adult sized stock with the youth model and then just switch them out when the child gets bigger.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Tim

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Check out a good used Rem 1100 LT-20 with screw in choke tubes first, or fore new the Rem 1187 youth 20ga model, which has a stock that's adjustable for length of pull. Felt recoil is significantly less with these guns.

As for comparing the Rem 870 to the Mossberg 500, the 870 is going to have less felt recoil because it is heavier. This is because the 870 has a steel receiver, while the 500 has an aluminum receiver.

As for the 870 outlasting the 500, fah. Fact is, the 590, which is the same as the 500 except for the mag tube, met milspec requirements and was the only pump shotgun in the 1980s that successfully passed the milspec torture test. The Marines then adopted it for embassy guard use. As much as I like Remingtons, my 590 has withstood over a couple of decades of hard use.

So base your decision on weight, felt recoil, fit and felt recoil, not on longevity, because that's not an issue with the Mossberg.

Tim, yes, you can order youth and adult stocks from Mossberg. In fact, for a while the youth guns came with an additional adult stock. Don't know if they are still doing that.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Brian are you sure the 500 has an aluminum receiver?

The reason I ask is I bought the grand kids one in .410, the receiver blueing started to change a little so I figured it was aluminum too, but a magnet sticks real tight to it

Maybe in different gauges?

7. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

My vote, Rem 870 hands down. One of the most dependable, durable, reliable pump guns. One of the most popular shotguns in the police field.

8. C-Money

C-Money Member

I have been around both, and I would probably give the quality edge to the 870. I really dont think you can go wrong with the Mossberg, and I doubt your kids would wear either out. Buy one and get he kids shooting!

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Brian nailed it, get the LT20 M1100 and get a youth stock for it. If the gun should become out grown or you no longer use it, you can sell it at about the same price you got it for. Odds are you will try it and like it so much the kid might have to fight you for it. (thats how it turned out with the LT20 I got for my daughter)

I'm not a fan of the 870 express youth model or the Mossberg equivelent - they both kick like mules and are medium to low quality.

10. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

My dealer said the forearm on the Mossberg is moved back 4 inches compared to the Remington to aid in shorter arm length.You also get a coupon for a adult stock at their cost.Not sure what i will get yet. Thanks for all the replies, S.D.

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Over the years, many of them, I have shot and owned both Remington 870's (and 1100's) and Mossberg 500's. Right now, I own two Mossberg 500's and no Remingtons. I do admit, though, that the main reason I prefer the Mossberg 500 is that it handles very similarly to my Winchester Model 12's. Going back and forth (forth and back?) between a Model 12 and a Mossberg 500, for me anyway, is seamless. My Model 12's did not like me after I shot Remingtons, but they're cool with Mossbergs.

LA in MA

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the posts. Buy anything other then a Mossberg. The reason, A friend bought a Mossberg for ducking hunting. He bought it over summer and out for the first time in the box blind. The gun was firing fine and he was getting ready to leave. He was also hunting with the game warden. While he was packing up some ducks came in and he took a shot at them. It knocked him on his ass and another friend was holding his arm. He was using factory duck loads. The gun had blown up. Cracked the barrel a good foot from the reciever going up to the end of the barrel. The mag tube was knocked loose from the frame and the frame was warped and cracked. He was alright but his friend had a piece of metal in his arm.

The game warden took the gun and had test done to the gun. My friend called Mossberg and Mossberg wanted nothing to do with it. Tried to sweep it under the rug. He wasn't happy with the way Mossberg handled things. He was going to fight it and right now I don't know what has happened or going to happen.

Buy anything other then a Mossberg. It will be safer for your kid.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The Remington is easier to take apart and put back together than the Mossberg-at least for me!!

14. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Any gun will blow up with a bore obstruction. Almost sounds like a 12 20 burst.But possible something else got in the barrel. Could be the shot rusted into a solid mass, just to many varibles to cast fault with the gun. Opening day of pheasant hunting. guy shoots pheasant with mossberg 500. lays gun down(stupid) retrieves bird since dog wouldnt pick it up. Some time passes another bird flys and he shoots,barrel blows up. Mossbergs fault or the mud that partialy plugged his barrel? Oh and two of my campanions that day are state parole agents, no testing needed. LOL

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

338reddog, as I stated before the gun was new. There were NO 20 ga shell in the blind or in his pocket. He's to careful to have that happen. It was a box blind and no dirt or mud on the floor. Just plywood. I have never seen him place the gun on the ground but lean it on a tree and or put it in a rack. The gun was just flat out bad.

16. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Auctioneer, There are to many varibles to account for the blowup. Things like a wad from a previous shot or even part of the hull could obstruct the bore. Rain or snow or even some of the blind brush. Just alot of varibles. I believe at 12 inches you are on the down hill side of the pressure curve, as to one reason I would believe it is more likly a bore obstruction. I am glad your friend is ok and will get to hunt ducks another day because in the long run thats all that matters.

Back to the thread topic, I prefer the 870, my daughter has 20ga express. A good friend had two 20ga mossbergs both with feed problems.The guns were from early 90's. Ive had a few express and a few wingmasters. My all time fav was a wingmater 28 ga. If you want a pump Get a wingmaster if finances allow it, but a gas auto kicks less.

Merry Christmas
    Jeff

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Brian said.

18. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

About 10 years ago I bought a Mossberg Bantam 12 ga. I put a Kick-Ease pad on it and load some light 7/8 ounce shells. Several dozen young and small framed shooters have used it without any problems, unlike the others mentioned it is not a full size gun with a shorter stock, but one that is scaled down for the smaller shooter. TOO often I see a young shooter struggling to hold up an 1100 with a 30" barrel and a shortened stock. Shortening the stock on a long barreled gun moves the balance point out in front of the shooters hands.

Regardless what you get her make sure it fits her NOW and she is comfortable shooting it. I've seen a lot of new shooters quit because the are forced to shoot something too big for them, and are being told they will grow into it.

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buy the Remington. I read somewhere on the Internet that the folks at Mossberg were anti gunners.

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Mossberg has always gotten disrespected. They are the cheapest pumps out there if you do not count the commie chinese stuff. I have played with both. Mossbergs rattle, but they keep shooting. The mossberg pump gun is the one that passed the military stress test, and they have been in use for years. I have seen some really abused, raggedy Mossberg 500's brought in for cash or trade. They all still worked. I still carry one when I hunt. If it gets dirty, wet, scratched, so what. It goes bang every time I need it to. Nothing wrong with the 870 either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will my rem 870 last forever