1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg High Rib Trap Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RogerAckerman, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

I bought this Mossberg 500 High Rib about a year ago or so and would like to use some Extended Chokes but don't really know what Make or MFG to buy that would fit the gun, it has the 30" barrel and the Accu choke. If anyone here could help me out I would appreciate it.
    I also thought all these guns came with a Monte Carlo Stock? or was that an option back then. I think mine has a Newer Replacement on it but like to put it back to the Monte Carlo, would anyone know where to find one. I have been watching on Arms List and Gun Brokers but no luck so far.

thanks a lot
    Roger
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

It should be the same as Browning Standard Invector or Winchester Winchoke.

Carlson's and Briley make good chokes, but there are many others.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Slap a Kick-Eez pad and a Slimside comb elevator on there and you're good to go.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-accessories/cheek-pieces-palm-swells/scope-eze-prod15487.aspx

-Gary

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Monte carlo stock will be hard to find for this gun. Have no idea if another gun companies stock will fit this particular gun.
    Steve Balsitreri

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have that same gun, and mine uses Invector chokes, as stated above. Mine has a monte carlo stock, which gets my head up to match the high Simmons rib. My gun has a great trigger pull. Really a lesser known gun. Mark

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are those Trapper wads on tyhe right side of the shotgun? I never saw anyone else shoot them.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That gun came with Montecarlo trap stock. The stock you got is not the one it left the factory with. Unless... the guy bought the barrel and just put it on the Mossburg he had laying around. Finding a MonteCarlo stock will not be hard. Go to e-bay and do a search and save it. Run that search every few days and you will quickly come up with a stock that will work.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As SuperX stated, mine and the few I've seen had MC stocks. That really like a regular old field stock.

Look also for a slugster model stock.

9. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

Hey Dave P. the wads are Downrange Versalites, I really like them for HDCP and the Downrange 8 pedal Orange(On the Left) for the 16yard.

Timb99- I found some Carlson's Extended Chokes on E-bay but they say Invector Plus, do you think there the same or would work?

I thought this was a Field Stock or Standard Type that is on the Gun now. it shoots good but I do have to hold t he gun a little funny to get the Rib to line up, I figured I need to find a MC to get it back to normal

I will keep a look out on E-bay for a Monte Carlo Stock, I've been watching off and on just no luck so far.

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I've had two Mossberg Olympic high ribs and both had monte carlo stocks, in fact the stock was not high enough for me, so I had the top of the comb sawed off and piece of wood spliced in to raise the comb. Fun guns to shoot, they will smoke a target as well as any other.

Surfer

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Invector and Invector Plus chokes are NOT the same. You need Invectors. see link above. The first picture below is an Invector Plus flush choke. The second picure is an Invector flush mount choke. Mark
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Mossberg is making a combo version of the 500 pump gun and it comes with a scoped deer slug barrel as well as a bird shot barrel. The stock it comes with has two different detachable cheek pieces, so you can chose three different comb levels. It sounds silly, but actually works pretty good. It may be a cheap way to go.

13. Borderland

Borderland Member

I had one of those new when they first came out and it had a copy of the Winchoke from the factory////complete with the knurled ring with holes for the winchoke style tool(included w/ the gun)./////(the trigger let-off was really long and hard like any other Mossberg 500)

14. vatrap

vatrap Member

I have one as well, started with a Regal 500 and added the high rib barrel in 1987. As others have stated the chokes are standard Invector or Winchokes. I have the same stock as you, its a stock for a slug gun. I ended up with 2 different stocks that seemed to work for me, one was a Boyds Sterling thumbhole design for a 500/835 and the other was a Wenig New American that was for an 870 that I was able to recut to the Mossberg receiver. Get an all steel 590 trigger if you intend to shoot it a lot. The monte carlo stocks are fairly rare, to the point that I gave up on finding one and recut the Wenig stock to fit. PM me if you want some pictures.

Mike

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Roger,

As stated above, no, the Invector Plus is not the same as Invector.

Browning Invector, Mossberg Accu-Choke, or Winchester Winchoke are all the same and should fit your gun.

Or just go to Carlson's website or Briley.

Good luck.

16. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

I found some extended choke tubes and wanted to thank everyone for all you help

Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1987 mossberg 500

monte carlo stock for mossberg 500

mossberg 500 high rib

mossberg 500 monte carlo

mossberg 500 monte carlo stock