1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg gun for trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vatrap, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

Ok, I couldn't help it. Notice I did not post it as a Mossberg trap gun.

1. Mossberg 835 with 28 in VR barrel, used to hunt deer with it.

Not the actual one, but you get the idea. I forgot to take a photo before I started this.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/mossberg%20project/?action=view&current=pix3514415234.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Boyd Sterling thumbhole stock, picked up off of ebay before the ban to tame the recoil of 3" heavy buckshot loads.
    <a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/mossberg%20project/?action=view&current=DSC03167.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

3. Added a Keensight rib, picked up off of TS.com
    <a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/mossberg%20project/?action=view&current=DSC03166.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. Mostly finished, needs a mid sight bead and maybe some weight in the forend.
    <a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/mossberg%20project/?action=view&current=DSC03164.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The good, not much money invested (about $320) and it's a blast to shoot, easy to clean, and it will not bother me if it gets a few dings in it.

The bad, trigger has a lot of creep and I don't know if it can be helped, and it's so much fun I left my normal trap gun at home and shot 5 rounds with it at the club today. I really put it together to shoot in our winter fun shoot league, but it is a lot of fun.

Mike

2. gussy

gussy TS Member

Reminds me of turning an AMC Gremlin into a drag car. It works but you gotta wonder about the builder's mindset. One thing is for sure, it is unique.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I can remember the Mossberg 500 high rib trap gun when it first came out. An older guy at out club bought one and shot it quite well. Dont see these much anymore.

Wonder where all those unique guns are today???

Regards...Gerald

4. vatrap

vatrap Member

Gerald,

I have one of those too, it's what gave me the idea. I shot it for a while, but it was to light and just did not fit.

Mike

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I wonder how many clays that Mossy would be capable of breaking till the shooter interfered? Hap

6. vatrap

vatrap Member

Unfortunately all of them.

Mike

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

that mossberg looks as good as any of those altered high dollar trap guns that no longer look like a gun.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No matter how good it looks, it'll still have a Mossberg trigger. Which is just fine for a field gun, but not so great for a serious target shooting gun.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Love it, on the cheap to!

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The problem with the basic Mossberg trigger group is the carrier and many of the parts are plastic.

OK for one or two or three shots, but trigger pulls just won't be consistent.

If you could get a trigger group with all the parts made of metal, then you might have something.

Seems to me I read on this forum that trigger group from an old Winchester model would fit....anyone else remember this?

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Mike, win that fun league you are shooting and you will be busy building a few more of them.

AJ100

12. Duck

Duck Member

Peter, That's great gunning just like the saying it's not the Wand but the Magician behind it!.

13. vatrap

vatrap Member

Peter,
    Can you post a picture of the gun?
    I'd like to see what it looks like.
    You are right about soft shooting, the 835 shoots well with trap loads.
    It is brutal with 3.5" shells, but never shot more than two or three a day of those.

Mike

14. flylta

flylta TS Member

When cost is a factor, which it is for me. I shoot what works AND is cost effective. I have a mossberg silve/reserve, yes it had the trigger problem but I called up service and the guy asked do you want to do the work or have someone local, at my cost or ship the gun to us for repair.

I said i's mine I would rather take care of it, he sent me an entire rebuild kit for the triggers, I have spare parts.

With 2 kids at home and my wife home schools I shoot what I can. Luckily for me the guys around here don't seem to be elitists and take an interest in the work I am doing myself to customize my gun.

It doesn't take thousands of dollars to make the shell go bang!

Enjoy shooting your Mossberg and remember huntin' anit catch and release!

Ron

15. vatrap

vatrap Member

Peter,

Email me the pictures and I'll post them.

Mike

16. psfive

psfive Member

I just bought one of these tonight. A Mossberg 500 trap gun. The price was right. It is an exact copy of the field gun I like for a lot of reasons. Except it it has a high rib, a monte carlo stock, 30 inch barrel and screw in chokes. Now I only need to see where it shoots. And learn to shoot it. I needed a new challange. Paul

17. vatrap

vatrap Member

Paul,

Please email me or post a clear picture of the stock, I have never seen one with the monte carlo stock, I'm thinking about having a Wenig New American stock cut for this one.

Now for the project update.

1. Never shoot an experimental gun in competition unless you have had a lot of practice with it.

2. The thumbhole stock didn't work for me in the long run, it shoots a lot flatter than I thought and I found myself moving around on the stock a lot as the day progressed. I shot 150 singles with in pretty windy conditions and my scores were low even for me.

3. I switched it back to a conventional stock and shot a pair of 24s in the last 2 rounds and realized it fit more consistently shot to shot and was easier to mount repeatedly with the same eye to bead relationship.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/mossberg%20project/?action=view&current=DSC03169-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. Shot a 24 (there seems to be a pattern here) in the first round of handicap and then had a problem with not striking primers hard enough to make factory AAs go off so I switched back to my BT 99 Plus and ended up shooting a 94.

I took it apart and cleaned it out tonight and will test it at the club in a day or so.

Mike

18. psfive

psfive Member

Mike I will, however it may take a few days to get it done. Paul

19. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Here's a M/C stock on a 500AHT

<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/dancingbear12/?action=view&current=DSCF0009.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

20. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I have one of the origional Mossberg high rib trap guns, I think quite a few have been bought and sit in gun safes,,

Mine is a blast to shoot,, they are light, but shoot well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
custom mossberg trap gun
mossberg 835 trap
mossberg competition trap shotgun
mossberg trap gun
mossberg trap guns

mossberg trap shotguns

mossburg trap gun
trap shooting with a mossberg 835