1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg combo for occasional trap shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 07GT, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 07GT

07GT TS Member

It's been over 20 years since I shot trap. I'd like to get back into it a little, but I also don't want to spend $$ that I don't have.

I could also use a new deer shotgun. So, I was wondering how a Mossberg deer/field combination package would work out for trap. I know it's not a Perazzi, but it's affordable.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on the Mossberg package at the link above?

Thanks
    Dick

2. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I cant see the link you posted due to filters at work but a friend of mine started out shooting trap with a Mossberg combo. Although his is the security/field combo. His field barrel was just a 28" fixed modified choke. He shot fine with it. You will be fine too. A Mossberg 500 is perfectly fine to shoot trap with in my opinion.

3. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

You might want to try H+R

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Dick,

The Mossberg or an 870 express combo would be just fine for the occasional target shooting. Spend a couple of dollars making it fit and have fun.

ss

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Mossbergs are absolutely fine for casual trap. Like most field guns they shoot a bit flat, but that's easy to get used to. They also piss off the club snobs, expecially when you outshoot them, which is a HUGE side-benefit. Wish I'd kept mine.

-Gary

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If your not serious about how you score, it will work
    fine. When you get to the point where you want to get
    serious about the game, you will need a dedicated trap gun.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sky Buster is right, of course, but MANY 25-Straights and 50-Straights have been shot with a Mossberg, or less. Probably some 100s too, although I haven't seen one yet.

-Gary

8. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Member

Remember as long as your throwing a 30" pattern 40yds downrange it doesn't matter what name is on the gun. The package your showing will work fine with the Mod choke and #8s. The pic here is my Mossy that I built from traded parts and the gun stands me less than $200 as you see it. Remember it's the magician not the wand no matter how nice the wand is..
    Dave
    [​IMG]

9. 07GT

07GT TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I doubt I'll ever be shooting 25's. The best I did when I was in my 30's was 21.

It's still fun, though.

Dick

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dick- Shooting trap is important. What you shoot with is secondary. The so called "club snobs" mentioned above would also shoot a Mossberg combo if they thought it would raise their average.

Pat Ireland

11. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Dick,

There's nothing wrong with your selection if $$$$ is an issue. By the
    way, I own and shoot a Mossie AHT Trap that performs just as well as any gun in my collection and there is nothing better than shooting out a Perazzi with it. If it fits and you develop confidence in the gun, there is no reason why you can't run 25 straight with it. One suggestion would be to purchase a set of Full and Mod Carlson Extended choke tubes for it. Use the Mod choke and #8 shells for 16 yards and the Full choke and #7 1/2 shells at 27 yards. Put a
    HiViz flourescent green sight on it and you're good to go.

Smok'n Joe

12. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I shoot a mossy 535 for sporting and love it. The only time it might not be to fun is trying to hit doubles.

John MI

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Buy it and come on out. Have fun and good luck with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mossberg 500 combo trap

mossberg security combo trap