1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg 500 Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oregunner, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I bought one at a gun show a while back for $350, just for kicks. It shot well and had a nice trigger pull. Interesting gun history, with Simmons doing the finish work for Mossberg. I sold it later, no regrets. Trap grade probably adds a $100 premium. Mark

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How was the recoil? Mossbergs are pretty light because of the aluminum receiver.

Also, is that walnut or birch?

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I'm almost sure mine was walnut. I didn't put thousands of rounds through it. It seemed to fit in the same category of trap guns from days gone by, like the Model 12 and the 870. Technology and technique have advanced. I had other guns that I would rather use to shoot trap, and I have never gotten really confortable shooting a really high rib. Mark

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I had one of these when they first came out. Mine was without choke tubes. The only problem I had was that I have very small hands and the pistol grip is cut back so far that I could hardly reach the trigger.

I saw one a year ago at a gun show with choke tubes and the guy wanted $400.00. I can't remember what I paid for mine new as it was a number of years ago. It's a good gun that hits targets with the best of them. I also had an anniverasry Mossberg trap gun with real nice wood made in 1968 or so.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I believe that I paid $175 for mine when it was bought out of a pawn shop. At the time standard could be bought for around $125. Mine is not tubed

6. trap906

trap906 Member

Ive got just the bbl. for one of these just have one choke tube. Would like to find a stock like the one in the above picture, then I would purchase a used 500 and put it together

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I had two 1984 Mossberg 500 Olympic's which were intoduced to coincide with the LA Olympic Games, I paid $154.00 each to one of my sporting goods distributors who sold them to me at cost.

I sold one to a friend who hated the trigger (plastic) and took it to a Mexican pigeon shoot selling to some local some ungodly amount. The other one I kept after having the comb cut and piece spliced in to raise it. I shot it on and off at games for a couple of years doing fairly well with it, I tought it pointed well. I sold it to friend who still has it. He drags it out once and while and does quite well grinding targets. Its never had a problem and I consider a clean used one a good value at $350/400

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
custom mossberg trap gun
mossberg 500 for trap

mossberg 500 for trap shooting

mossberg 500 trap
mossberg 500 trap gun
mossberg 500 trap shooting

mossberg 500 trap shotgun

mossburg 500 for trapp