1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg 500 for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Customf1, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

Hi I purchased a cabalas
    combo home defense / field mossberg 500 for 325.00. I realize this is not the ideal trap gun but still want to shoot trap with it it came with an extra 28 in vented barrel and 3 chokes. Since its a pump what do you recomend for reduced recoil should I stick with 1oz or less loads?
    I still have some 1 1/8 boxes of 7 shot I'd like to use not sure how my shoulder would feel after a 100 rounds of that any recomendations of what's the best and lowest recoil ammo to use for shooting trap ? appreciated the help
    thanks howard

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I would add that 1 ounce loads do make a difference if you are somewhat recoil sensitive. I used to shoot my 835 ulti-mag Mossberg at sporting clays and skeet to get used to the slide action in late summer in preparation for the hunting season and I shot some really good scores with it.

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

My Club states "7 - 1/2 shot as a maximum on the trap field". Check with your Club before using 7 shot. ANY shotgun can break targets .... and I have done it with a friends 500!!

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, here in Wisconsin we had a young guy who used a Mossberg 500 field gun for trap. At first fellow shooters questioned his choice of a gun to be used for trap, but this same guy knew how to shoot this gun, and was very proficient at breaking targets.

All you have to do is build up the stock a bit and I have used a Meadow industries "convert a stock pad" in the past as it is inexpensive but gets the job done.

This same shooter is one of the best here in my area, and now uses a Browning O/U trap gun, but with the great scores he shot with that same Mossberg, he will never sell that gun.

Try the 500 as it is a great gun as millions that have used that gun can attest that it is a very reliable gun.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Brownell's does or at least did sell an all steel trigger for the 500. On a dare I made one into a release, wasn't too hard a job. I'm pretty sure it is still somewhere in the shop.

6. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

Every Club that I've shot at has a rule on a 7 1/2 shot minimum. Please check with your Club.

Robert Houston

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mosberg 500 stock trap

mossberg 500 for trap shooting

mossberg 500 good for trap

mossberg 500 trap

mossberg 500 trap for sale
mossberg 500 trap shooting
mossberg trap shotguns
mossburg 500 for trapp