1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mossberg 400 Home Defense?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Guys,

I have a Mossberg 500 (really, its not a 400) that at one time was my upland hunting "back-up" gun, that hasn't been out in the field for a long time.

I'm thinking of converting it to a home defense gun by putting a short 18.5 inch barrel on it.

The wood on it is about as nice as you'll see on a Mossberg 500.

Should I get the scary black stock and forearm, or just get the short barrel and call it good?

Heck, the thing already holds 5+1 so I probably won't get a magazine extension (if they even make one.)

Any other accessories I need?

2. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

red dot laser sight,first they hear the action of the slide,then see a red dot in the middle of their chest ,then they crap their pants,leave the wood,mark

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Saw it off at 18.5", squeeze the muzzle a little flat in a vise (wider than tall) and load it with #4s. You'll have a hallway wide spread and won't blast people in the next apartment.

No kidding, they used to market a duckbill spreader for these defense/offensive shotguns. Doubled the width, decreased the height of the pattern.

There are all kinds of aftermarket things for the 500....black stocks, collapsible stocks, handguards, picatinny rails for lights and such, and the magazine extension. I'd get the extension before cutting the barrel. Saw 18" barrels in Midway recently for around a century note.

Nice thing about the Mossbergs is they are noisy. They sound like a shotgun being shucked.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

How do they do a magazine extension for this gun without having to buy a special barrel, since the barrel screws into the end of the magazine tube???

Doubtful I will do a magazine extension. Just curious.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

My mistake. They make some with extended mags but I guess that is a factory trick.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Hey Tim, it is probably most cost effective to leave it alone, but look around for a used short barrel. Midway had them on sale last month for $72. I bought a 500 with a 28" vent rib barrel, synthetic stock, and extra 18.5" barrel all in good shape for $200; then got greedy and sold the vent rib barrel for $75 and the gun with the short barrel for $175 at a gun show...wish I had it all back now. Will let you know if I see a short barrel for sale. See you at the club. Regards, Ed

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Any real advantage to the folding stock/pistol grip?

Kinda leaning toward just leaving the wood stock on it.

Flashlight?

Laser?

8. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Just for something to do I work about one day a month at a Big 5 sporting goods store in Ukiah CA. The Mossberg combo is so popular and the fear so great that the Obama administration is going to curtail gun ownership that we can't get the combo now. The Factory is 6-8 weeks behind on orders. Better stock up now no matter what Bidden says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.