1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mosquito Repellent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

What works best for you?

BB

2. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

muskol 100% deet, if u can even find the stuff anymore, or buggins, which work well for buffalo gnats

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The more Deet the better according to the program i watched. Be careful when using Deet on young kids. Try and buy kids repellant for them with lower consentrations of Deet.

The program on Mosquito's the other day was quite informative. Avoid applying too much scented deodorant and cologne when you are going to be outside. They are attracted to strong smells. They are also attracted to exhaled CO2. So i guess you have to quit breathing too. LOL They hunt by smell. The ones that you hear buzzing your ears are the males and they are not the ones that bite. The females are the only ones that bite. They don't eat the blood but use the protein to fertilize their eggs. They lay their eggs in standing water. The itching is caused from the anticoagulant they use when they stick ya. They are cold blooded and subject to temperature changes like us. The males pollinate flowers just like bees. When the females are finished bearing their young, they also pollinate. They both feed on nectar. I hate to say it, but according to the show they are beneficial to us in that way. They are also very deadly to humans as they carry many diffeerent diseases. Just some facts.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bear grease? It worked for the Squaws....

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

grntitan,

Great information. Thanks for the education.

Chichay

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Be careful useing Deet, it can be deadly, some people, me included have a reaction to it. Dont rub it on your face or any skin that will absorb it quickly, if after useing it and your lips get numb go to a hospital asap.

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

do a google search for "95% DEET" and you will find the products you are interested in.

95% is the highest percentage I have found...100%, I have never seen that.

My understanding is that the higher percentage products do not repel the buggers better, but repel them longer. I'm willing to be corrected on this, but seem to remember doing a little on-line research on the subject a while ago.

Cheers

8. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

What i found that works best for me is eat lots of Garlic and you don't half to be Italian. I went fishing in Canada knowing that there is lots of Mosquitoes there. I ate a couple of cloves every day for about 5 days before going and after i got there, got there. Everybody up there was getting bitten. I fished for 4 days and got 3 mosquitoe bites. Smells bad but works good PLUS IT'S HEALTHY FOR YOU

9. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Really like this, no mess and it works....Grubby

[​IMG]

10. grntitan

What i really want some input on is the ThermaCell. It is supposed to be really good and even useful for deer hunting early fall. I want to hear from some of you guys that have tried it that live in areas where the mosquitos will normally carry you away. I hunt some areas like this. I have seen this ThermaCell advertized on the hunting programs but they will endorse anything thats paying the bills. So does it really work??? Smell??? What makes it work??
    [​IMG]

11. Fr. Bru

Fr. Bru TS Member

I use the ThermaCell religiously. It works very well when you are sedentary. However, if you are taking a stroll, this isn't the repellent for you. There is no smell at all. All you see is a very faint wispy smoke rising from the repellent pad when you light it up. I use it while bowhunting in the early October deer season, and in the duck blind for those windless mornings during teal season. For the last couple of weeks I've been using it while hunting for hogs in the south Louisiana swamps. If you don't have mosquito protection out there, those skeeters will carry you away. ThermaCell works like magic. I don't leave home without it.

-Fr. Bru

12. grntitan

Fr.Bru--Thank you for the input. Thats the answer i was looking for. Nothing worse than trying to sit still early bow season and having skeeters eating you alive. I have left more than once because of it. That takes the fun out of hunting when your swatting. Its on my "must buy" list now. Thanks.

13. billn

billn Member

Avon Skin So Soft works good

14. grntitan

Baron23--This is the small bottle of Mosquito dope i keep in my shooting bag. It is 100% Deet and made by Repel. I believe i bought it at Wal Mart in the camping section.
    [​IMG]

15. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I use Picardin when I can find it. Less side effect than DEET.

http://www.picaridin.com/

http://www.travmed.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_71

16. boba7449

boba7449 Member

Absorbine Jr. ; it is the only thing that seems to work on the knats and also seems to work on mosquito's too

17. TC

TC TS Member

Be careful with the repellent, it will destroy the finish on some stocks or forearms. Don't ask how I know!

18. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Just read somewhere the other day someone was using listerine.They even was putting it a sprayer and spraying around their patio.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

20. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Just got an email this morning saying that Listerine mouth wash sprayed around the area you will be kills them DRT (dead right there) I have not tryed it yet but it's worth a try' it's cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.