1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mosque Makeovers with our Tax Dollars!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Luckyman, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Again....Are you kidding me???? Is Obummer for real!!! Who the? What the? How the?

Mosque Makeovers With Your Tax Dollars

WASHINGTON, D.C -- A Channel 2 Action News investigation found that the State Department is sending millions of dollars to save mosques overseas. This investment has received criticism as the United States makes an effort to slash nearly $4 trillion in government spending.

Plenty of outrage following the announcement made Thursday afternoon by a government commission that suggested huge cuts to the budget, including eliminating the interest education for home mortgage. This juxtaposed with United States investing millions to refurbish mosques as a good-will effort in Muslim countries has upset many taxpayer groups.

The Channel 2 Action News investigation found a 1,300-year-old Egyptian mosque that was almost flooded by contaminated sewer water that is one of many ancient Cairo mosques and churches that were saved from destruction by the U.S. taxpayers.

This is part of a $770 million program to rebuild Cairo's sewer system, paid for by the U.S. State Department's USAID program.

"We are spending money we don't have. This is all on a gigantic credit card right now," said Jared Thomas, a taxpayer advocate.

Millions more dollars have been sent to places like Cyprus. The State Department displays before and after pictures of mosques refurbished with U.S. tax dollars.

"I think it is very hard to explain to the American taxpayer right now whose having an extraordinary time paying bills and making ends meet that this is why we took this out of your paycheck, so we can fund this," said Thomas.

The State Department declined a Channel 2 Action News request for an interview. We wanted to ask why are we using tax dollars to refurbish religious buildings overseas. The State Department did send Channel Two Action News an e-mail saying that they are fighting Islamic extremism by building relationships with Islamic leaders.

Egyptian-American human rights activist Nonie Darwish told Channel 2 Action News anchor Justin Farmer that trying to buy respect in the Middle East only shows our weakness.

"This part of the world has a lot of respect for power and America is not showing its power, it's showing its appeasement. They are laughing all the way to the bank," said Darwish.

Darwish was born in Egypt and is now a former Muslim. Darwish told Farmer that she moved to America and has written several books critical of radical Islam. Darwish said that most of the mosques in Egypt are run by extremists who have ordered former Muslims like herself to be killed.

"We are rebuilding mosques to support the radicals, not to support the moderates. We are building mosques to issue fatwas of death against people like me," said Darwish.

Your tax dollars also fund computers and mosques in places like Tajikistan and Mali. At an ancient mud brick mosque in Mali, the State Department has provided Internet service and computer equipment to local imams.

Taxpayer watchdogs wonder how the State Department can explain paying for Internet service while Americans struggle through the worst recession in decades.

"To the average person who has probably seen their paycheck shrink and not grow, this could be an insult to them," said Pete Sepp, President of the National Taxpayers Association.

With radical websites inciting violence and extremism worldwide, there are concerns that the taxpayer-funded Internet service could be misused.

"That is not the job of the U.S. because giving them Internet access to imams and Muslim preachers who hate America," said Darwish.

Critics say that it is time to review funding for all federal programs that do not directly benefit taxpayers.

"We are spending money we don't have and certainly we can cut items like this," said Thomas.

The Deficit Commission announced it would look at slowing the growth of foreign aid. Channel 2 Action News is not aware if there will be cuts in this particular U.S Aid program.

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

If this story is true it's another Obamanation. I don't know why FOX isn't all over it which makes it a bit suspect to me.

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

It's a FACT!!!! You can suspect all you want but this actually surprises you???

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's some more hope n' change for ya.

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Nothing surprises me anymore. I sent the story to FOX, can't believe they haven't reported on it, or I just missed it.

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

USAID, which is a part of the State Dept, has been around for a long time (since the '60s)...they did the same stuff under both past Republican and Democrat presidents, whether it be "mosque makeovers" or some other projects in other parts of the world. That's probably why Fox News isn't all over this...they would have to call out the Republican presidents as well and scrutinize what projects USAID did when they served as president....

7. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

I suspected as much but I wonder if we were rebuilding mosques under previous admins? Regardless, it should be exposed for what it is. It absolutely needs to stop!

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

IMO, the purpose of USAID was to win "hearts and minds" in countries deemed vulnerable to instability and a possible threat to the US. This "hearts and minds" tactic works in some parts of the world but not others, from my observation. I don't think this tactic will be shelved, it's a part of diplomacy. We do this to buy influence and to more or less "buy off" countries to remain friendly to us.....Other countries do the same thing. China has been aggressively doing this in Africa over the last few years, giving $$$ for "hearts and minds" influence....

9. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

How about the hearts and minds of American citizens who think using taxpayer money to rebuild radical Islam is a bunch of BS?

How about the minds and hearts of citizens who want decreased spending and severe budget cuts?

We can't afford this kind of spending right now even where it might make some sense. We can NEVER afford to throw money at Muslim mosques.

The whole program needs to be reevaluated with a sharp scalpel... or better yet, a machete.

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

How is that working for us? Seems we are winning over the hearts and minds of muslim terrorists....What an F-N joke!!!!!

When will DUMBSHIT LIBERALS realize that APPEASEMENT DOES NOT WORK! IT ONLY EMBOLDENS OUR ENEMY!!! NOTHING LIKE THIS EVER HAPPENED UNDER A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT!!!! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND sernv99! Wait don't tell me your a liberal moron!!!

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Lucky has selective reading and does not comprehend the English language all that well. I would like to see where I explicitly stated that I supported USAID financing the preservation of mosques overseas. You should go back to where you went to elementary/high school and refund the local taxpayers, for all the money they spent on your failed public education.....evidently it didn't really do anything for that so called brain of yours LOL

12. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Lucky, I think sernv was only describing the program, not that he necessarily agrees with it, unless he wants to clarify himself.

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

WSB TV in Atlanta reported this. The article above is a word for word transcription. It should have been shown everywhere.

14. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Hey sernv99! I would like you to produce EVIDENSE that this kind of thing (Tax Payer Dollars to Rebuild Mosques) went on under a Republican President? The fact you made such a statement reveals your liberal stripes....Are you a liberal? You never answered my question?? If so I question where you received your education from?

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Hey lucky, go research what a Provincial Reconstruction Team does....I'll give you a hint: they were first implemented under Bush Jr. to help with reconstruction efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq....and guess what? They refurbish and build MOSQUES...

see the link for just one example of many....US Special Forces and USAID helped support the refurbishment of the mosque pictures...where do you think the Afghans got the money to refurbish the mosque? they certainly don't have the money...maybe from the United States?? And the article is from Sept. 2008, before the US election!! Uh oh, looks like you have to go back and crawl into that hole you came out of LOL

here is more evidence:

http://exchanges.state.gov/heritage/afcp.html

scroll down and read the annual reports that coincide with Bush's term....here I'll help you start. Look at 2003/2004, page 28....well look at that.... $33k for a mosque refurbishment in Afghanistan!!! I know what you are going to say, Bush must had been sleeping at the wheel during that time frame otherwise he would have not authorized such spending....LOL

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It's been around since 1961 (Foriegn Assistance Act). I couldn't find the the budgets for the former years, but 2010's is above You can see where there is a huge increase in spending in the last quarter of 2010.

17. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

I think you're both losing focus with the sparring. The anger should be with the fact that it's apparently still being done with YOUR tax money. It needs to stop, along with any other monies that are being thrown at middle eastern countries for "touchy-feely" crap. We're already paying a fortune in military support and with the lives of our sons and daughters. AND... we're BROKE.

Dave

18. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Hey sernv99!

you missing on major point!!!! He never authorized spending for rebuilding Mosques while we had a 14 trillion dollar deficit and that is FACT!! Also since we went to war IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN it was part of a "WAR TIME" rebuilding agreement....We are not at war with Egypt...We did not invade Egypt! and once again we WERE NOT 14 TRILLION IN THE HOLE!!!

YOU NEVER ANWERED MY QUESTION! SERNV99 ARE YOU A LIBERAL? YOUR STRIPES ARE SHOWING...THE FACT YOU WENT TO ALL THAT TROUBLE TO POINT OUT BUSH SUPPOSEDLY DID THE SAME THING TELLS ME YOU ARE...

I SMELL ANOTHER LIBERAL ON THIS SITE AND IT IS STARTING TO STINK!!!

19. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I CAN SMELL A LIBERAL FROM A MILE AWAY AND THEY STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.