1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I needed a project and decided to buy an old gun and fix it up. Bought a Mosin Nagant from Cabelas, took it home and cleaned it out and shot it in the back yard. I can't say how surprised I was at the accuracy of the thing. At 200' I hit some one inch patterns. It's kind of a shoulder-breaker but really fun to shoot. Cost me $129. + tax.

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I have two and a couple thousand rounds of surplus Russian ammo. Great shooters and you can certainly see the sniper potential in that cartridge.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

A hunting buddy was given one back in the 1970's and he killed several deer with it where he lived in West Virginia. At that time, the only available ammo (7.62x54R) was from Norma at around $25 a 20 round box which was a lot more expensive that 30-06. That did not allow for much practice or range time. Today, ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced.

I think that there were some Soviet WW II snipers with over 300 kills including a female sniper, Klavdiya Kalugina.

With good quality ammo, especially reloads, the accuracy potential of the rifle should be in the same league as other WW I era bolt guns. My 1903 Springfield will easily shoot 5 shot, under 2 inch groups, with my reloads and that is with a Lyman model 48 peep sight and globe front sight.

Ed Ward

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have one and its one of my favorite cast bullet guns...cheap to shoot and very very accurate in military matches

5. Loyac

Loyac Member

Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev was the Soviet sniper during World War II who killed 225 soldiers and officers of the Wehrmacht and other Axis armies, including 11 enemy snipers.

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

7.62X54R. From what I understand an inherently accurate cartridge.

7. Loyac

Loyac Member

Years ago I got to shoot a friend's Tokarev SVT-40 that took the 7.62x54R round. It was extremely accurate. John

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have two. Both are Finnish M-39 models. The Finn rifles tend to be more accurate than the Russians.

There is a huge amount of history behind these rifles and there are a number of excellent websites dedicated to them.

They are an extremely simple and robust design, intended to be able to be field stripped and maintained by uneducated Russian peasant soldiers. Like the AK-47, they will take a lot of abuse and still work.

The safety is somewhat ungainly, and difficult to get from safe to fire quietly, when deer are about, but with practice it becomes second nature.

Terrible, terrible triggers that can be made better with a little work. Purists would bristle, but aftermarket triggers can make these excellent shooters. I have sporterized one of mine (oh my!) but the other one is pretty much original.

I have found these rifles like heavy bullets. The Russians usually used 200 grain bullets.

Ballistics are similar to the .308 Winchester, but the cartridge is made for a much lower pressure.

I have had good luck with Sierra 180 grain (.311 Sierra Pro Hunter) bullets and 150 grain (.312 Hornady Interlock) bullets. I tried 125 grain bullets with little luck.

The bores usually slug out to .312 or larger, so most say using .308 bullets tends not to work, though I have never tried it.

Hodgdon Varget works excellent for me.

Both of mine will shoot 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards.

Sellier & Bellot makes nice factory cartridges for this round.

Given the fact that all of the eastern bloc countries used this cartridge, it might be the most common rifle cartridge in the world.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Mine is an old Westinghouse US made that my great grandad bought through CMP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mosin nagant for sale louisville ky