1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mosin Nagant Ammo, easy to find?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trappy12, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

So I really want to buy a Mosin Nagant because 1.) it's cheap 2.) I heard it's an excellent gun and 3.) I absolutely love WWII history and any nostalgia that goes with it. But I don't want to just look at it, I plan on shooting it often. So is the 7.62x54mmR easy to find and at least relatively cheap? Any other information is very appreciated as well.
    Thanks!
    -Trappy

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Kinda hard to shoot trap with those, Shane.....LOL

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a real good shooter that was also a big player in WWII then the german 8mm Mauser 98 is the gun for you. These aren't exactly cheap compared to the Mosin Nagant but they are much better rifles. Better yet, get an M1 Garand. (okay now were getting into some bucks). The Swedish Mauser 7.5x55 is first class bargain as well but it wasn't a WWII mainstay.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The Moisin-Nagants are both interesting and fun to shoot, especially the carbines. I currently have an M38 carbine (similar to the later M44, except that it does not have the integral bayonet) with 20 inch bbl. It is completely original except for a scout mount (which simply replaces the rear sight leaf) with a 2-7X scope. With this little carbine and some handloads I worked up, I can get 3/8-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, even with the somewhat rough trigger. Pretty good for a military rifle made in 1943 in wartime Soviet Union.

Military surplus ammo is readily available and relatively cheap, but I don't use it because it is corrosive, and more important, in the the light carbine, kicks like a mule. Muzzle blast will also drive everyone else off the range. But surplus works great in the longer rifles. As noted by others, plenty of decent commercial ammo available also. Go for it. You will enjoy it.

Jim R

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

It was my first high power rifle bought at F.W. Woolworth. They didnt know much about them but back 20 years ago I didnt care Nagants are 7.62x54r and well that old guy in the sporting good department set me up with the gun and 2 boxes of 7.62x51 for 45 bucks. I not knowing much back then shot all them shells, had a few ruptured cases but what fun. Shot everthing from bullfrogs to old trucks in the woods. I just recently parted with it, had it for 22years and put 440 rds of surplus ammo threw it after the 308s with absolutely no problems. I guess with out hesitation I would have done it all over again with the fun at cheap price!

Jerry

Oh yea fresh cow pies were explosive(keep distance tho) lots of memories!! Thanks for remindin me!!

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/7_62x54R.html

Bryan is a great guy to do business with. I have a couple of rifles and many thousands of rounds of quality ammo.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sportsmans guide carries lots of cheap ammo for it

8. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

So I'm seeing $90 for 440rds. What are those special cleaning methods?! I would do anything for rounds that cheap!!!
    Thanks for the info, now I think I've got to convince the parents it's a good idea...
    -Trappy

9. metal1

metal1 TS Member

what a great gun my wife picked me up one for x-mas one yr at big v for 79 then used a 10.00 off coupon .what a awsome gift i ordered ammo from a place in ariz .new 150 grain soft tip,non corosive primer,our range says no to full metal around 110. for 250 rounds,,have fun with it.jeff

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Special claeaning method for corrosive ammo....Run several patches loaded with hot soapy water through the bore. If possible, use a plastic tube and funnel to flush the bore with hot water. Dry and oil. That's it. No big deal at all.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Save your money and get a 6.5X55.. Most underrated round out there.. Easy to reload or form brass for..

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Hot soapy water followed by a flush with clean hot water followed by dry patches followed by a good drying and oiling takes care of corrosive primer residue...just don't wait a few days before doing it. I used to shoot piles of corrosive '06 ammo in my Springfields and never lost a barrel to corrosion.

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Grafs.com usually has a pretty good selection of ammo for military rifles.

AndyH ;-)

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Boiling hot soapy water to flush out the corrosive salts when you get home, as the others have noted above.

At the range, immediately after the last shot, while the bore is still hot, I spray a generous amount of Windex (the kind WITH ammonia) down the bore and run a handful of Windex soaked patches through.

Petroleum based solvents like Hoppe's will not flush out the corrosive salts.

Be aware the bores on these rifles vary, and can be 0.0311 to 0.0315, so if you ever decide to reload, basic .308 caliber bullets may or may not work out well. Best to have a gunsmith slug your barrel to find out the true groove diameter if you choose to go this route.

I use a 150 grain .312 bullet by Hornady, and a 180 grain .311 bullet by Sierra for my reloads.

These rifles tend to work well with heavy bullets.

I've linked a good source for M-39 rifles.

The Mosin Nagant is a very simple mechanism, and a very strong action. These guns were made to be operated and maintained by relatively uneducated Russian peasants. The simplicity of the gun made it perfect for that service.

As noted above, most have terrible triggers, but a good gunsmith can do a little work on them to get them "better."

If you can find it, the Czech "silver tip" ammo is corrosive, but very accurate in these rifles.

Be aware, much of the military surplus ammo is steel core, so be sure your rifle range allows steel core bullets. Many DO NOT!

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

If you don't want to go the soapy water route get a can of Ballistol rag the barrel with a a good coat and let set for a few min and clean normally. I have three 7.62x54R guns a Finnish, a Chinese carbine, and a Russian STV 40. The STV 40 is the best shooter but all are good.

Get to a good gun show and the ammo is cheap and no shipping.

Rock

Jim

16. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Is $130 a good price for it? Gander Mountain calls it "Good Condition."
    -Trappy

17. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

J&G Sales has Mosins for $79.95 - VG to XLNT.

AndyH ;-)

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have to agree with wolfram, I can't believe the lack of dissenting opinions. Maybe you guys just don't like Trappy? There are so many better rifles with WW2 connections than that thing. As the supplies of truly good WW2 surplus rifles has dried up the dredges are undergoing shall we say optimistic reputation overhauls. It's cheap and the ammo is cheap just ain't a good reason to spend any amount of money on a rifle in my mind. Buy something to be proud of. I'd rather have a Ruger 10-22 and the ammo is truly cheap.

19. gold40

gold40 Member

I had a very accurate Finnish Model 39, and reloaded it using gas-check cast lead bullets at 1,800 fps. It was quite pleasant to shoot.

Boxer primed cases are available.

Jerry

20. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

silverbullet, I would love an M1 Carbine. It is without a doubt my favorite gun of all time, but it costs money. Money in which a kid trying to save for college, go to England this summer, and D.C. this winter does not have.
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.