1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Morton Mechanical Shell Catcher for Rem 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torres1278, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torres1278

torres1278 TS Member

Hello All,

I am in the market for a shell catcher for my Remington 1100 Competition.
    I used a plastic T&S Shell Catcher and it worked well; however, it
    unfortunately left scratches on my receiver. I have been shopping around for
    alternatives and found one made by Tom Morton and Company. It is the Morton
    Mechanical Shell Catcher (MMSC) that attaches to the side of the receiver and
    can be set to both singles and doubles. I wanted to avoid having to stick
    anything to the receiver and believe this may be a good alternative.

Has anyone ever used it or had any experience with it? I was hoping to get
    some information prior to purchasing it. After speaking with Tom Morton
    himself he said he has successfully used it for more than 25 years now.

Website is posted above.

Thank You in Advance,

Mike

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I bought one for a 28 ga gauge 1100 a few years back. I found it somewhat fragle, but worked 90% of the time. I finally decided it was too easily bumped/bent out of adjustment and returned it to the company. They took it back no questions asked. All things considered, they were good folks to deal with. I have since installed their gas operated recoil reducer and shell catcher in a 12 ga 11/87, and it works great.

3. Squeal

Squeal Member

I would like to know too. I am shooting the same gun. I need something to deflect the first shot in doubles.

Thanks

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Bob k. I have the Morton recoil reducer in the magazine tube as well in one of my 1100's. I never shot this 1100 without a an air recoil system as well as the Morton gas system. do you think the Morton is softer then the factory 1100 gas system? Jeff

To the guy who wants a shell catcher. Just put a wire in your barrel. works 100% of the time and you just pop it in and out when or if you shoot doubles. Jeff

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The morton works well. Fellow member has a older unit. It does look a bit cumbersome. In doubles mode it catches the second shot. For what ever reason he just doesnt use it with doubles? I have the Birchwood Casey Catch All. It is held on with doublesided tape. The original tapes held a good long time. Even with normal cleaning. It is easy to instal and works perfect on my Browning gold. Some times the very stought nitro loads sneak by. It will leave no scratches....AS DID THE T&S did to mine.

6. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I wish someone would make the old tunning fork shell catcher for the the 1100.

7. torres1278

torres1278 TS Member

Thank you all for the responses.

Jeff, when you say put a wire in it, exactly how is it done? This is first
    time that I am hearing about this technique and you definetly got my attention.
    I am really comfortable shooting my gun, I just don't want to hit the shooter to my right with shells.

Mike

8. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,

I have 2 of the Morton shell catchers. Work great on my 1187 Premier Trap gun . I liked the first one so much I bought a spare . Really great man to deal with . If you don't like it -he'll take it back . The new ones don't come in contact with the receiver-no scratches.
    SOUP

9. cdougstew

cdougstew TS Member

I also have some interest in the morton recoil reducer. Would be interested to hear from users of the device. How does it affect the inside of the magazine tube where the hole is drilled to release addditional gas. Does it require any cleaning after it is installed.

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Have one of Tom's internal shell catcher/recoil reduction units in my SuperX2 and it works perfect all the time! Only adds approximately 6.5 oz and it's between the hands for a neutral feel. Normal cleaning with a 10ga nylon brush and patch inside the tube. Simple. Try one....if you don't like it, Tom will take it back.

AndyH ;-)

11. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Nice looking unit

12. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

A turn or two of black electrician's tape around your T&S catcher or under the catcher on your 1100 receiver will solve your scratch problem.

13. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have used Morton's products. He is a fair man,not the carnival type. :)
    He has a guarantee as good as Dillon's no Bull---- guarantee. However, for an 1100 in my opinion NOTHING beats the wire. Just do a search, there have been many,many threads complete with installation instructions. They work 99.999999% of the time. I may have miss a .00000009 Also, there have been many threads on how to put a nodule on the barrel of an 1100 to throw the first shell,when shooting doubles,straight down so it doesn't hit the shooter next to you. The newer trap barrels come so equipped.
    Joe Jordan

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You can have one installed by any gunsmith just about at a trapshoot or do a search and install one yourself. It's two small holes drilled in the barrel extension with a thin piece of wire about two inches long that plugs in to the 2 small holes. Very simple explanation. It's a bit more complicated then this. I have always paid to have mine done and it between 25 to 50 bucks depending on who does it. The other thing is to just buy a newer trap barrel with the knock down pin if you want to let your hulls fly. The little "Tit" sits on the barrel extension right near the port and directs shells down so they do not bother the guy next to you. Jeff

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

All though not the shell catcher you are discussing. If nothing else it would allow one the shoot an autoloader for double without having to worry about shells flying and causing trouble on the squad. Also no more wasted hulls.

Bob Lawless

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Mike , I have some clear wide tape you could try on the t&s catcher and if that doesn`t work for you , I`ll take it back .

17. TomB

TomB Member

Torres
    I have responded to this kind of web request many times....All you need to do is REMOVE THE EXTRACTOR. The empty will blow back into the action. Turn the gun upside down, point the barrel slightly upward and rotate the action opening toward the ground or your hand. The shell will fall out. Best bet is to spring for another bolt with an extractor and switch them for singles and doubles. Then you'll have a spare firing pin,etc Tom B

18. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

TOm B GREAT IDEA. A++++

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bob Lawless, quote: "All though not the shell catcher you are discussing. If nothing else it would allow one the shoot an autoloader for double without having to worry about shells flying and causing trouble on the squad. Also no more wasted hulls."<br>
    <br>
    The literature Morton sent me indicated that the first shell flew free. Only the second shell is caught.<br>
    <br>
    I failed to see the point of annoying your squad with half your shells, though maybe saving half your shells for reloading might be better than saving none.<br>
    <br>
    My 1187 tosses the shells out in front of me anyway.

20. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

TomB
    I tried removing the extractor and shooting my 1100 Trap T that way today at the gun club. I was pleasantly surprised how well this worked. I shoot a right handed gun left handed because of eye dominance issues so I sometimes get distratcted by empties being caught by the shell catcher. This solved my problems. I had no malfunctions and each shell fell out easily when I turned the gun over. My only concern is if I close the action on a shell and then have to unload quickly for safety reasons. Without the extractor it might be hard to get the live shell out of the chamber. (I use reloads exclusively and they are not always resized perfectly by my well-used reloading press. Sometimes I have to use a little force to get them in the chamber, but releasing the bolt usually takes care of this on the 1100.) I now have a small screwdriver in my shooting vest for the purpose of removing a tight fitting shell. Also, I started today to practice closing the action only right before I shoot and no sooner. Thanks for passing on this handy tip. I like my 1100 even more now.

Blaise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1187 shell catcher
how to install a ts scheel catcher for a remington 1100

morton mechanical shell catcher

morton shell catcher

remington 1100 shell catcher doubles

remington 1100 shell deflector

t s shell catcher remington 1100
tom morton gunsmith