1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mortar/concrete sealer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Actually, I need your help, but really hoping this pisses off BigDon!! What would you recommend for a sealer for mortar-do not want water leaking through! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Depends on how often you want to do it.

There is some residential grade stuff at Lowes for like $17 a gallon. This is clear and has to be reapplied every couple of years.

There is some commercial grade stuff out there that has a slight brown tint when it dries that will last about 5 years between coats. It, however costs about $50 a gallon.

ss

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tom, is this for a fence type wall, or the outside of your basement wall. Paint is the most common waterproofing for walls above ground (elasticnumeric type). Where a true rubber type waterproofing compound is used below ground for areas like around your basement and inside of planters. This type goes on like paint, but is very thick and expensive, and dries like rubber. It is much better than the tar like product used in the past. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Tom being as I was in the business for close to 30 years you can call me

NO CHARGE really

ALF

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Home Depot has some stuff made by Behr, I've used it to seal my chimney and to seal the driveway. It says it will last 10 years. I've had it on probably 7 years. You can tell the difference when it is raining between the brick on the chimney that has been sealed and the brick on the house under the overhang that hasn't been. The brick on the house take on a wet brick look and the brick on the chimney look dry.

If you want to seal something underground use Hydrocide tar, go to a concrete block plant, they should have it.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The "Home Depot" Stuff is lightweight, temporary crap. Call Alf, or if you have a Phipps Company store in your area contact them for some commercial grade stuff.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I don't buy into a spray that stops masonry from deteriorating. I think it actualy can causes moisture to be trapped in masonry units causing freeze damage.

Personaly I have seen many treated areas still erode or the facing spall in a mod-severe weather climate.

Over the years I have rebuilt many chimneys, porches, and foudations that have been sealed with a ten year gaurentee, only to find the waterproofing company is out of biz.

We still apply expensive sealant upon request so I don't lose the job to the compitition, but I'm not 100% sold on product pushed by a company sales rep telling me IT WORKS, I've seen them come and go voiding their warrentee with bankruptcy.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've used this company's watersealing products with very good success...

Curt

9. K80

K80 TS Member

PROSOCO, Inc.

Product: SL100

K80

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.