1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Morning surprise!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Every morning I start off with the same routing. Feed the Cat, give him a shrimp, take my vitamins, fix a cup of tea and have a seat at the computer. As always, I start off checking my on line banking and this time I was a bit surprised. Someone started using my credit card at 5:30 am and proceeded to make a buttload of charges. I called the bank and while I was speaking to the lady, they attempted another $150!!!! WHOA!!

They then told me they cancelled the card and are starting an investigation and will issue me a new card. Has this happened to any of you and what was the turn out? Did anyone get prosecuted?

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

It happened to me a few years ago. Who ever stole the card was charging less to it then my wife so I didn't worry about it.

The bank didn't do any investigation, they just swallowed the charges that weren't ours.

Shawn

3. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

It did happen to me but the bank noticed an error, cancelled the card and issued a new one. It seems their records were compromised. ed

4. alf174

alf174 Member

Every couple of years one of my cards has been "stolen" and used. The card provider usually calls me to verify, cancels, and issues a new one. The best/fastest company for this has been American Express. Never heard if someone was caught.

5. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

It has happened to me on my ATM/Debit card. Someone was trying to use my card in another state while I was at the bank explaining the charges on my statment wasn't mine. The bank had me go to the police department and file a report before they would reimburce my account.

6. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

I had someone wash a check and rewrite it for $680.00 a few years back. It was the check I sent to my cable company to pay my monthly bill. Called the cops and they did nothing. The bank, (Bank Of America), made the teller who cashed it eat it. There were red flags everywhere that she didn't recognise, least of all was my wife's signature that didn't match. Street cops don't care about white collar crime. They've got too many gang bangers, drug dealers, and burglars to deal with. After that we now pay everything on line. The bank, (we since have changed to Chase), said they have never had their on line security breached.

7. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

Also, since this happened we always write checks with one of those special pens they sell that are supposed to prevent this sort of thing. It hasn't happened since.

8. James344

James344 Active Member

Happened while my family was in Orlando at Disney World last November. Everytime Discover notices some large charges, they first call me to verify it's me making the charges. If they can't reach me, they stop all charging on the card until I call them.

9. 548

548 Guest

Interesting story for you. A couple weeks ago I arrested a man with a warrant during a traffic stop. In the course of inventorying the man's personal property, I located a credit card in his wallet with a name that didn't match the name on his driver license. I quizzed him about it and he wouldn't talk.

So I picked up the phone and called the credit card company in an effort to get a definitive statement that the card was stolen so I could charge him with possession of stolen property. I identified my self and agency and requested to speak with their fraud department. When I got connected to the correct people, they told me all they could tell me is that the card had been "de-activated". I told them I needed to know why, in particular, I needed to know if it was reported stolen. They said they would not release any further information without a subpoena. I said, "Are you kidding, you are the victim here, I am not going to subpoena my victim in order to get the cooperation I need to help you out". They agreed but apologized and said that's the way it was going to be.

10. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Tron,

Somebody stole my Capital one card # and charged $123 at a redbox in Chicago about 3 months ago. I called Cap One and they said to call Redbox. I did and the charges and card were nullified. Cap One sent me a new card and that was stolen in the mail. I received the 3rd card and and it took a couple months to get everything straightened out but I never had to pay any of the charges that weren't mine.

Chuck

11. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

My daughters Visa card number was fished most likely at a gas station. She got a call from Visa advising her card was used in La and San Diego at the same time. Since she was LA she new their was a problem. She got the name of the San Diego motel and the verification number attched to the charge. Since she works in the travel industry she called the SD motel and using the verification number got the hotel room number of the individuals. The hotel worked with her on this because of her travel agent credentials. The hotel upon learning the card number was stolen called the police. The result was two individuals arrested, with over two hundred phony "generic" stolen credit card numbers. Had she not done the leg work for the police, nothing would have happened to the two arestee's.

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Not what I thought this thread was going to be about. After age 50, a morning surprise is a welcome start to the day provided the wife hasn't already headed off to work.

JK

13. alf174

alf174 Member

gutter lol

14. Tron

Alf174.....is that really you? Where you been?

15. alf174

alf174 Member

Joe, living under the bridge down by the river in a trailer. Or the golf course.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me, I was traveling my card was in my pocket and being used in GA I was in Illinois, my card company stopped the cards issued new ones and did an investigation. We were not liable for any charges that we didn't make, they notified us that it was happening.

17. Tron

Well Alf, I suppose if you grew yourself a mullet and got one of them pit bulls, you should fit right in with those folks. You did grow a mullet, right?

18. alf174

alf174 Member

I'm working on it; are salt & pepper mullets okay?

19. shootlow

shootlow TS Member

Tron,Last fall a rep. from Visa called me and asked if I had been on a trip to London. I said no. and he informed me my card had been compromised for $400 in London Eng. and also for $150. in Alabama on the same day. they wrote it off and issued me a new card. Jim.

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

APRICE you owe me a keyboard. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.