1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More Wad Pressure blog

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    This winter we had some unburned powder "PFFFTS". You know, they just kinda go "donk" and the lead inches out toward the target at about 500 FPS and sometimes it breaks the target and sometimes not. Then you look in the bbl and see all kinda black flakes of residue stuff. Prob unburned powder. We did a lot of things to correct this incl primer changes, wad changes, and stuff like that. The powder was hot burning Titewad. Never did figure it out. But remember, it was cold.

I can get the rammer tube to seat the wad on top of the powder on the MEC 9000, but when I see pressure movement on the gauge, the space to get the wad into the wad guide becomes too tight. So...

In talking with Gordy Zimmerman of MEC this AM he advises that you disregard the notion that you need to see wad pressure on the gauge and just adjust the rammer tube to the "5" line on the tube for 1-1/8 oz loads, and to the "6" line when making up 1 ounce loads.

Too, I can tell you that the "donk" loads seem to be OK now.

So, for all of you that have made this case before, you win the day. I guess I am on the bus too.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Rochester, NY
    That might be true for the bigger gauges (I try to see at least some movement on the wad scale for my 20s and 28s, and the same was true when I loaded 12s), but that theory goes totally out of the window w/ the .410. If you want a consistent burn w/ the .410, you need wad pressure, and plenty of it. It wasn't until I went up to around 90lb that I got rid of my off sounding .410s. I've since backed off to 50lb or so with no ill effects in an effort to prevent dished crimps, but I'd be wary of going any less than that.
  3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006

I test my loads for cold weather performance by putting a half box in the freezer for a week and keeping the other half out at room temp. I then chronograph each batch to see the difference. I have found some combinations that are dismal and some that are stellar. There are several primers I will not use in the cold. There are also some powders and wads that seem to have issues as well. I also pay attention to the crimps, looking for good strong and uniform ones. Too shallow and you could have issues as well. I have also tested a lot of factory stuff under tha same conditions. Some results were surprising and some not.

I usually try to recover the wads and have a look. I've had some that had cracked over powder cups and even some that disintegrated even more. One brand had some real issues with that some years back. I still have a couple of cases that are "Summer" only use.

I'm with Gordy on the wad pressures for a 12 ga target load using modern components. I remember it being more of an issue with the card and fiber wads we used years ago.

I learned a long time ago that testing your loads at the temperatures you will be using them is a good part of the testing process. Nothing like having a rifle go pop instead of BOOM when you spent days getting that buck in your sights. Rifle, handgun, or shotgun. I test them all the same way, even the factory stuff.
  4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Oxford MA
    Jack the last time this subject came up I posted the following in regard to wad pressure.

That is from the MEC 9000 owners manual. The rammer tube settings are on page 32 in the manual, or as follows.

Which is the same as you were told by MR.Zimmerman. The table also reflects what skeet man was saying the smaller GA. shells require different settings.

These documents are pictures as I can't seem to get the PDF to let me copy it as text. Why I don't know but if you wish you can copy the pictures and save for future reference.

Bob Lawless
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.