1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More union strikers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Yet another union strikes!

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

$165k per year?? And they are on strike.

Even I would move to Commiefornia.

SW

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Not stevedores, these are clerical workers.

computer processing of information.

Simply back breaking. No wonder they get such high wages.

HM

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Unions suck. If they loose there jobs they deserve it.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

"If you appreciate having the right to use a stapler and tape dispenser, rather than paperclips and glue...well, thank the clerical union for fighting and dying so you could do that."

Heh.

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that clerical workers make $165,000/year, even in an ILWU port. That would make them earn more than the container crane operators. My figuring shows them earning $71,750. This is based on $41/hour X 7 hours/day X 5 days/week X 50 weeks/year. Admittedly, this is a lot of money, but who are we to say they are paid too much? Do any of us know what they do to earn that money? los Angeles is the busiest port in the USA, with approximately 60% of all cargo entering the country coming through it, mostly in containers. Who keeps track of it all? It sure as he## isn't the company executives! These clerical workers are the ones keeping track of it all, filling out and filing the paperwork (or entering it into computers) so the correct item is available to be picked up by the correct transporter at the right time, and delivered to the consignee at the time it is expected. It isn't a secretary type job, where they take dictation, type letters, and file, nor is it something one can just pick up with a couple hours familiarization. This is an extremely responsible job, with far reaching consequences for thousands of people if they screw it up. Just think - 60% of the cargo entering the country comes through that port, and if 10% of it were to go astray(6% of the total), how much volume that is, and how much it is worth. When you compare the value of the product controlled and shipped annually by these people,and the resultant value to the national economy, with the value to the economy of someone making a comparable amount of money annually in a corporate or financial position, it doesn't seem to be an outrageously overpaid position.

7. deadnout

deadnout Member

well said shooting sailor.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Yet another stupid post!!!!

9. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

++Shooting Sailor : A good demonstration of how easy it is to jump on a wagon of which I have been guilty of myself.

And Setterman domonstrates thier are two sides to a wagon.

Ahhh which way to turn....

CM

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

You're not counting their bennies. 20K a year in health care, another 20 to 30 toward their retirement. I'm also sure they are getting paid for 52 weeks a year instead of just 50.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Have you ever been to a major port? We had 8 truck loads of stuff from Spain come in. It took 2 weeks to get it out of the port, and the shipment was clean. Geeze....the whole system is computerized and with oversight by the port authority and Homeland Security.

Walk into the port office and there are 8 gals there with their thumbs up their......

you can't take a poop without 4 other people telling you what TP to use.

My 11 year old neighbor could do that job.

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

After most of my working life being spent on ships, I can truthfully say "Yes, I have been to a major port."

Perhaps your shipment took longer than you thought it ought to get out of the port, but is that the norm, or were they just dicking with you because you came in with an attitude? From your post, I would suggest the latter. I have seen a ship come into a container port, unload, and as the next one came alongside, the last couple dozen boxes were being put on trucks and going out the gate. This is a little quicker than usually happens, but I think most of that particular load was perishables.

You mentioned Port Authority and Homeland Insecurity. Could those two layers of bureaucracy, the extra people in the port justifying their jobs, and their attendant rules, perhaps have slowed the process down somewhat? I just betcha!

I don't believe your eleven year old neighbour could come anywhere near doing the job of controlling the flow of goods in a port. If you had any idea of what is involved, you wouldn't make such a silly statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.