1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More Thrilling than Trapshooting........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Trapshooting is winding down for me at this time of year and I was kinda looking for something with the excitement level compared to breaking clay pigeons. I may have found it but don't want to ever experience it again!

I was telling a friend I was looking for something to do now that the Trap season was over. He said let's go explore a cave that is right here in the city limits of Bowling Green, Ky. Well he called me the very next day and said are you ready to check out that cave before I had time to do a reality check.....I gave every excuse I could think of to get out of it as I hadn't been in a cave since I was a kid and more stupid than I am now. Mamouth Cave National Park is only 30 miles from my home and I don't even go there, but not wanting seem unadventuresome I dug out some old clothes and shoes as he said we'd be walking in mud and in water up to our waists. That didn't appeal to me, but I finally found an old "D" cell flashlight and off we went to the woods behind Big Lots which is about a mile from Lost River Cave which is also in Bowling Green's city limits....the area around here is saturated with caves.

We went down beside a cliff and he said here it is.......when I looked all I saw was a hole. He said follow me and went climbing on boulders to reach an area about 20 feet down to where you could stand up, only you couldn't because it was a slope of slippery mud which went down about 35 more feet to a stream full of large rocks with rushing cold water which we would have to wade. I was kinda glad since I had lost my footing and slid down the last 20 feet of that first slope and was covered with a generous amount of mud....but I managed to hold on to my flashlight! I looked back and saw the tiny entrance all the while wondering how I would ever get back up that and out.

We kept going down the stream bed till we had to climb another 20+ foot sheer mud bluff, I was thinking this is bad till we had to climb down another bluff on the other side. We did this about 4 more times with each ascent being more perilous than the last. Previous adventurers had cut small steps in those walls which were in mud and filled with water and slick mud. They were just a pocket big enough for your toe!

Finally I asked my friend does it ever get any better than this, where it is dry? He said "no, don't you want to see the blind fish?" At that point I was having serious doubts about getting out of there alive. I had already fallen twice and one of them was crossing the stream where it was deep and I had fallen where I was completely underwater......it was interesting that I could see that my flashlight was still working while under 3 feet of water and I had held on to it even though my knuckles had hit the large rock in front of me taking most of the skin off of three of my knuckles!

I told him that it might be hard for him to get me out in case I fell very badly. He agreed and I then had a thought.......what if he falls, how could I get him out as well as find my way out since we had made several turns. BTW it was huge in different areas of this cave.....some of the rooms in there would hold 60 to 80 school buses. Also I wasn't too keen on him yelling to hear his echo......I just imagined tons and tons of rock crashing down on us.

I won't bore you with the details of getting out which was very difficult, but I thanked him for two trips into that cave, he said "two" and I said "first and last!" From now on, I think I'll look for adventure on top of the ground and not in the air either. Hopefully something good comes from making bad choices, you realize life is good and some adventures you can do without! Biff

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Biff, try target shooting. I have really found it to be fun and relaxing. I expecially like shooting the 17 HMR and the Ruger 204 cartridges. I take a cigar and a few rifles and go to the range and it is very peaceful and relaxing. I just sit and smoke the stogie and shoot and before I know it three hours have passed and I have not spent much $$$

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Biff, those big rooms you got to see, was Ray "Beggin" Nagin parking any school buses in them? ;-)

Damn you were lucky. Ever notice that guy who asked you along making eyes at your wife/girlfriend?

Good story.

4. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Hey Biff - I've lived in BG for all my life and explored several of the caves around. I haven't seen that on though. Used to go way way back in Lost River cave before they made it a touris attraction. We even took torches in it.
    Has your friend ever heard of the bar bells in Lampkin Park cave? I've been down in there too. It's since been filled in on the bar bells end and the front entrance is fenced around. Cool to hear from BG

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Biff: You might go and pick out some nice colored yarn and start work on a sweater as some colder weather is coming. To top it off go by Cracker Barrel and get you one of those rockers and then relax. Of course I want to see the finished product in Florida this winter.

Be careful of the rocker because they can toss you off and you don't want to be "off your rocker".

Winter well and I will see you in the south.

Don

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Biff,

You know you're not far from West Virginny...I know a real nice bridge that you can jump off of...with parachute or rubber band, your choice.

7. biff

biff Active Member

Sigraph, this one is over behind where the Old Walmart was, actually it was more down towad DESA. We parked in the lot behind an apartment complex, it was only about 50 feet from the asphalt. I talked with a fellow today who said that's not a good cave to go in....people had gotten lost and had to be rescued or had fallen and gotten hurt. He knew about the indian burials inside this cave and around it. I hadn't heard about any other caves except the big one up in Smiths Grove. Where I live has a lake formed when an old rock quarry filled up when they blasted into an underground river, a geologist friend said there was a network of caves in this area. He got a picture on a little disposable camera of me coming out of the cave, maybe I can post it to give you an idea of the entrance.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm a professional spelunker, cause I'm not, I'm a professional trapshooter I think but am having a tough time making a living at it. A buddy told me how to make money with my shotgun, he said sell it! Biff

8. biff

biff Active Member

BIGDON, As you know I'm off my rocker a little......sweater? Maybe not a bad idea if I go to the Dixie, it would have felt good with the chilly weather they have had the last few years. A friend of mine told me she was into body painting, but I think I may opt for making table candles.....pour some wax on the table and set it on fire; or at least that was how Cheech and Chong said to do it!!

Buzz, I'm gonna keep my feet on the ground and put them under my shotgun.....next spring I hope.

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Only been to Bowling Green once in my life. I thought the Corvette Museum was an interesting visit. Suggest you become a tour director there - might meet some interesting people.

10. biff

biff Active Member

[​IMG]
    Here I am on my way out. Am going to try to stay out of places like this! Biff

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Biff, are you sure that some of what you thought was slippery MUD was really GUANO?!!!! Did you take hand sanitizer with you?

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That was gutsy Biff. You've already proven you're crazy so you have nothing left to prove.

13. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Biff - where do you shoot most of your trap?
    I used to be a member of the Barren River Rod & Gun Club.
    I'm presently a member of the Green River Gun Club but we don't have a trap range.

14. biff

biff Active Member

Sig, I used to belong to the Green River club, but they went to a limited # of members and I'm only shooting shotgun now. Barren River isn't even shooting registered anymore and I'm not much into the games shooting in Butler or Ohio Counties. When I want to practice or shoot good targets, I go to Quail Run GC in Hopkinsville.....Dean Debow throws good and legal targets there! Right now I'm trying to put some electric service in Snapshots greenhouse and that has been a shocking experience! Biff

15. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Biff - So sorry to hear Barren Riven isn't shooting registered trap anymore.
    That used to be a real good place to shoot. I shot my first 25 straight there, and remember all the great guys that shot there. They always had a large # of shooters from all around. When and why did they quit, or do you know?? Also - is Koostra Farms doing anything now? They used to have a really good sporting clays course.

16. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Biff you could break out your electronic fly swatter and kill mosquitoes! Wink found a source of them so now we are up here killing bugs at both our clubs. Like a bunch of kids passing the swatter around and chasing bugs. HarryC.

17. biff

biff Active Member

Harry, that electric flyswatter was the hit at the card games and such a distraction I was able to win a few hands,those winnings helped put me on the road home! Tell those guys thanks for the donations.....gonna buy that book "Winning at Tonk for Dummies" before next year's Grand!

Sig, Koostra's is no more,they were big before I started shooting....sorry they folded as did Barren River. I think Kenny Knott has used the Barren River range for training the AIM kids, but no one wanted to take it over and hold practice or registered shoots.

Vern, I have a nice metal detector and am itching to go somewhaere and try it out.....that can be a very rewarding experience. Also the fellow I went in the cave with is into hunting for arrowheads and plans are in the making when the farmers start breaking the ground this fall. There's something about finding a relic which hasn't been touched by another human's hand for hundreds or even thousands of years. Native Americans inhabited this area for thousands of years and finding an arrowhead is as thrilling as breaking a 100 straight to me. Biff

18. j l c

j l c TS Member

Hey HAMMER, will those electric swatters kill targets? Ill be over Saturday and check them out. Crank

19. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

Biff, why is trapshooting over at this time of year? There are plenty of calcutta shoots around, as a matter of fact this saturday I will be heading to Fern Creek Gun Club to shoot their annual Ky Hillbilly Shoot. 100 bird then heading up to Pendleton Co. Gun Club sunday for their annual Paul Biddle Memorial shoot, 100 bird...Tri City Gun Club close to Cincinnati has a good shoot schedule all year long....as do Rowan Co men's Club,,,Phillip and Sallie Jo Nickell put on a good program all winter....

Hell Biff,,,,no need to quit and wait for spring. Keep on firing that shotgun, it really prevents rust from setting in....lol

Good shooting!

Grizzly Adams

20. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

Sorry, that should have been,,,Rowan County man's Club,,,That is located on the west side of Morehead app. 3 miles on Ky 32....

Thanks, Grizzly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.