1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More Shotmaking Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

I broke out the shotmaker for the first time since november, and it was horrible. This is only the third run, but the first two made decent shot, crushed targets at the 16 and skeet. This time around nothing was going right.

The size was inconsistent and the drippers didnt want to run all the way through.

Some had tails, some didnt, but it didnt seem to be gobbing up on the lip.

ALL of it had flat spots, some worse than others, but looked almost like cylinders. You could see the shot flattening out as it was dripping onto the lip.

What are some possible problems and solutions for this? Im willing to make changes, I just dont understand how things turn for the worse.

Thanks in advance, Rich

2. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Are you using the same alloy as before?
    What are you using for alloy?
    I don't use stuff like wheel weights because some of them have strange alloys
    that can ruin the whole batch,at least that's been my experience with it.
    I've been using pure sheet lead mixed with a bit of linotype for mine,
    and it's workin pretty darned good.

3. richrob

richrob TS Member

Ingots from the same batch of wheel weights as before. Thanks for the thought though. -Rich

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Sounds like it was a cold shotmaker and maybe some of the drippers are partially blocked. Tails are almost always caused by shot trying to stick to the edge of the lip.

Jim

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

think jim has it right you say it set for awhile bet the heat element is not getting hot enough rick

6. richrob

richrob TS Member

Very possible, so before I make another go at it should I wait for the weather to get warmer, or let the ladel heat up longer. Or both?
    Thanks, Rich

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh...Something I can contribute to that I feel knowledable about. I have fought this same issue. It IS a heat problem. First let it get good and hot for a long time before judging the product coming out of it. To aid in this we put a electric hot plate on the bench and pre-heat our ingots to 400 which is max setting. This WILL get you ahead of the "cold curve" Best of luck and stick with it.

8. psfive

psfive Member

What is the air temperature where you are making shot? We find the shot gets better when the temperature gets to 70 degrees or warmer. My 2 cents worth. Paul

9. richrob

richrob TS Member

Ambient temperature was def. below 70, I had the furnace on in the garage, prolly 50's maybe low 60's.

I think its just gonna sit for another month or two till it warms up or I need more shot.

Thanks for all the help, if there are any more suggestions I'm all ears.

-Rich

10. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I made some shot about a month ago, it was butt cold,
    i use a propane torch to aid in the heating, even run it on the plate and the drippers for a little while, it helps.

11. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

rich,witch shot maker are you uesing?im in northern indiana and run a stewart better shot maker,last run it was 40 degrees in my garage,idid pre heat my ingots to 200 degrees on my wood burner before putting in ladel.
    ive found a few things to look at when your getting crazy shot,1) hardness & quality(some of the alloys in wheel weights will give you fits)but you are running from the same ingots you ran ok the last time,so that takes that out of the equation,2)level of the lead in your shot maker,if i run mine too full i get crazy shot,i have the level of my shot maker set so you see 1.5-2 inches of bare ladel in the back,and the drippers will be coverd 1/4-3/8 inch if i keep that level maintained,the shot runs great,with very littel scrap when sorting,3) while my machine is cold i soap stone the ramp real well,then use side walk chalk during run every 15 min weather it needs it or not.(have you modifyed the ramp at all?should not polish-sand at all ,hope this helps

12. bullet2

bullet2 TS Member

Where do you get the linotype

13. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

14. richrob

richrob TS Member

plinker, I'm using a home made setup. We have a small machine shop and it was somthing to tinker with. Im hoping it was just the temperature issue. I do not pre-heat my ingots and I didnt warm the lip with or nozzes with a torch.

Again, thanks for the tips. -Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.