1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More reloading questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtg, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtg

mtg TS Member

Approximaely 3 weeks ago I was asking about this load using Remington STS hulls CB4118-12B wads, 17 1/2 grains of promo powder, STS primers and 1 1/8 oz. shot. I ran out of STS primers. I have 5000 Winchester 209 primers. I'd like to know if I can back off on the powder and use the Winchester primers? Also any information about loading ACTV 2 3/4-1 1/8 #8 shells.

I Thank all of you for the information you have given me. A Very Special Thanks to Wilbur Poston for th gift he sent me from California and his good advise.

Mike

2. drh08

drh08 TS Member

You are good to go without changing anything. That is the beauty of Promo (red dot) pretty much 18 grains for anything and you are safe. Just swap the primers and change nothing else.

3. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

Mike:

I checked the Alliant powder website and there is no recipe(s)
    for using Win 209 primers,STS hulls,and the CB4118 wad.

You have two choices: #1 Do as drh08 suggests and try to trade/
    exchange the Win 209 for Rem 209 primers or #2 Use a Down Range
    DRRF8 wad,which is a Rem.Fig.8 clone,and the Win 209 will work.

Go to the Alliant powder website and select your shell and load.
    Under the heading of primers select "all";powder "Promo";wad "all"
    and pan down and you will find three different loads for the Win.
    209 primer and Promo powder.

Wilbur Poston

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Lyman's 5th ed. Shotshell Reloading Handbook list the following load: Rem STS hull; Win 209; 18.0 gr Red Dot; Windjammer wad; 1165 f/s; 9800 psi.

Since the CB4118-12B is a copy of the Windjammer wad and Promo a discount version of Red Dot. I would guess that 17.5 grs of Promo should get you about 1155 f/s. If you got a chronograph, you could try and reduce the powder charge to get 1145 f/s.

Lyman's 4th ed. has some loads for the Activ cases. Here are some 1 1/8 oz shot with Red Dot: 19 gr Red Dot; Rem 209P; Rem TGT-12 wad; 1175 f/s 9200 psi.

20 gr of Red Dot; Win 209; WAA12 wad; 1236 f/s 11200 psi.

Jason

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: No matter what primer you use, your load of 17.5 grains of Promo is surely not one would consider a "hot load". Once you have depleted your supply of Claybuster wads, I would look into the Downrange wads. To me they are a superior wad. JMHO. Ed

6. mtg

mtg TS Member

Thanks to all of you for the information I loaded up some more shell's to day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.