1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More PW loader problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

First off I want to give thanks to everyone who answered my other post asking for help with my PW loader. All the advice was put to work and I have it running well now thanks to the fine folks of trapshooters.com. I couldn't find the other thread so I started a new one, hope that's ok.

I have one little problem left on my PW platinum 2000 loader. Once in awhile an old primer doesn't go where it's supposed to and ends up on top of the primer slide tieing everything up. I figured out how to get it out of there without having to pull everything out and start over but it's tricky and takes a lot of time. If anyone can tell me what to check to stop this I would really appreciate it. Most of the time the spent primer goes into the little chute and gets dumped like it should but sometimes it doesn't.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are two screws on the right side of the primer ram unit. These provide lateral adjustment of the unit. The primer ram travel distance can be adjusted with shims behind the two screws. I need a small piece of folded paper behind the top screw on my 2000 to stop the ram directly over the primer drop hole. My apologies to Whiz for not using the correct name of the PW parts (ie primer ram unit). I don't know the correct part names so I just make up something I hope others can understand.

Pat Ireland

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Pat,

I don't have a problem with my loaders but I'm puzzled by your description of the screws and adjustments on the primer assembly. I have a pair of 900s that have been upgraded with the new externally-adjustable primer feed assemblies and I don't see any means of making any adjustments.

Are the "two screws" you're talking about the screws that attach the primer feed cam plate (triangular sheet metal plate that moves the primer feed) to the top cross head? If it is, I would have to space mine out about 1/4" to keep the cam in contact with the roller when the crosshead is up; a piece of paper wouldn't do it unless it is a piece of a book. With the crosshead down, the travel is correct to pick up the primers. I do use the new cam plate that comes with the upgrade.

Carol Lister

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have gone exactly what pay did on my 2000. The primer feed is the weakest part of the PW but this adjustment will do wonders for it. You will have to play with it to get it right. I have folded up aluminum foil under my upper screw

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

This problem and others was the reason I switched over to a Spolar about two years ago... tired of being a mechanic for the P/W. Fred

6. TjayE

TjayE Member

silverbullet:

I see no one has addressed your problem. I have had the same problem as you are having with the spent primers landing up on the primer slide. I think you need to adjust the primer knock out punch a little lower so the primer is completely knocked out of the casing. If the knock out punch is not adjusted low enough, the primer will just hang onto the case and drop on the primer slide. Tom E.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

My primer punch out became magnetic and would pull the primer back into the pocket on the upstroke leaving no hole for the new primer. I made a primer knockout out of good stainless, no more magnetism, no more pulling the primers back up. As an after thought, I should have ran a taper on it to spread the petals to aid in wad insertion.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The problem you describe is not descriptive enough for me, because of the following conditions:

(1) Is a spent primer hanging onto a piece of hull plastic and dangling, therefore interfering with the seating of a new primer?

(2) Is the spent primer just falling down onto the Seating Assembly and therefore getting in the way?

(3) Is the new primer not being slid into proper place?

(4) Is the new primer failing to be inserted into the hull?

Possible answers/solutions without knowing the exact problem:

(1) Above - Lower the decapping pin and shaft<BR>
    (2) Above - Repair the Spent Primer Tray slide mechanism; possible bent slide, broken coil spring<BR>
    (3) Above - Possible bent Primer Seating Shaft (these bend easily), or bent Ram end (these also bend easily)<BR>
    (4) Above - same as above

Need more specific info to suggest a fix.

Whiz White

9. setter

setter Member

sliverbulletexpress,

The spent primer is caught by the primer deflector, part D-250000. It has a hinged gate, the gate is attached by a small cotter key and the gate is spring loaded to return to the "catch" position. When the handle is down the gate engages the top of the primer feed assembly, closes and dispenses the spent primer into the spent primer box. On the up stroke the spring tension is to open the gate and return it to the catch position. Sometimes the small cotter pin can interfere with the return of the gate. Change the bend of the cotter pin to insure smooth operation of the gate. So, your spent primer is dropping onto the loader (primer slide) because the gate did not swing back.

Jim

P.S. I have a small magnetized screw driver that I use to retrieve errant primers.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I mis read the first post-- I neglected to see the word spent in front of the word primer. Must have been a cross sighting error. The primer gate, as described by Jim, is likely the problem. The gate was bent on my press when it came out of the box. I reshaped it with pliers to keep it from sticking. I have to repeat this every couple of years. I have the parts to replace the gate, but installing a new one is not easy. If the gate sticks up, the old primer will fall on the primer assembly.

Pat Ireland

11. whiz white

Remove the gate assembly and straighten it out.

They can get bent just enough to not permit the slide to flip down to the right and then the spent primer falls onto the primer seating assembly and fights for position with the new primer.

It is kinda difficult to remove - remove w/ 1/8" Allen wrench. Check the coil spring for breakage. I have them here at the shop.

[​IMG]

Number 25-1 is what gets bent.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz- Why can't the gate be straightened out or "custom bent" as I have done without removing it? It is thin and bends easily and I have several curved needle nose pliers.

The gate is simple to remove but to put it back on, one needs three very small hands each with seven tiny fingers. If one has only two hands and ten large fingers, putting the gate back on will require some language that would not be allowed on this site.

Pat Ireland

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

To replace the gate assembly is a real pain.

I used tape to hold the various little parts together so I could use one hand to hold the taped up bits, and one to hold he allen wrench with the screw. Otherwise Pat is correct.

Don Verna

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I tried to find this problem with my Mec 9000, but could not. It just seems to crank out shells year after year. LOL

15. whiz white

Your Mec 9000 compared to a P/W??? Get serious...a Yugo is better than my Caddy becuse it never has problems with the electric antennae!

If I have a reloader on the bench, I turn them up-side-down to get it done.

However, on my personal one that is hard miounted, I would use an 1/8" T-handle Allen wrench, and simply put it all in together without a problem. I don't find it a problem, but...

Shooting Coach: You appear to be on a mission to disparage the P/W. Have you ever owned one, and not a 35 year old one? If you did, why in heaven's name would you have ever gone back to the Mec? No answer requested.

You still have not gotten over the "Shoot the Messinger" thing, it appears.

WW

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Whiz: I can remember either taping open the "gate" or removing it and making a card board primer catch box that was taller and just letting the primer fall into the box. Is the gate necessary? Fred

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Anybody who tries to compare a Mec to a P/W needs to put the crack pipe down for a while. Almost comical to say the least.

18. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

19. wivanr

wivanr Member

If you are reloading once fired AA they use a plastic film in the primer seating process so when it is first reloaded it tends to hang on with a thread of that plastic thread.So then it can,t fall where it should.

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mr. Colley

Finally!!!

Some else who empties the powder after each session. I bet you have never had a double charge either!

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.