1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More powder talk

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

WST is a good powder, and clean if pressures are kept up. It is a very dense powder, and one must use the correct wads for it.

Hodgdon's is now marketing this powder, and has fresh recipes for it.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

1240fps

Sent you a PM

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's a good powder, but a bit more expensive than some others and requires a little more of it for each load when compared to some other powders. It tends to "leak" a little from my Mecs. It is quite dense, so you may actually get a slightly dished in crimp with some loads. Supposedly, you can duplicate some of the AA factory loads with it. I use it in the Win AA hulls frequently. It's a good powder for 1 oz loads and will work fine for many 1 1/8 oz loads as well. It seems to produce higher pressures in the Remington hulls, but I mostly use it in the AAs. Another promising powder for some very light loads is the new AALite. It seems to produce some high pressures at the top end of it's loadings, but it has worked rather well for the loads I have tried so far. If you want a light subsonic load, it's a powder to look at.

Rick Barker

I apologize if you believe I have offended you in some way. There was no intention of doing so. Please don't feel that you have to avoid posting on my behalf. I do take anything safety related VERY seriously. I just don't want someone to get only part of the story and get in over their head, so I might explain something in greater detail toward that end. I certainly don't know it all and learn from other participants on a regular basis. Debate and opinion is what a public forum is about. Just take a look at the Political thread category.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I shot WST for years and liked it about as much as the others, but then I don't know if I changed or it did, but it started to smell bad to me. So I don't shoot it anymore. I think that since there's really so little difference in powders, the odor of one vs another is as good a reason to switch as any.

Neil

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Neil is sooooo right. You ever get a good nose full of the Titewad smoke waft? Maybe better than PB. But either is a good lift, just before it lets yo down. Do not inhale before you blow the smoke out of your bbl... Lotso CO in that blue wafting beauty.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Couldn't get consistent drops with my MEC, so now I'm using 4.4 grains of WST in my lite .45acp loads with a 200gr. cast bullet. Its like shooting a 9mm. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.