1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More on Back Pain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JGS, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JGS

JGS Member

I have lower back pain in the lumbar region which is interferring with my shooting. I've had epidural injections but they only help for about a week. My doc has suggested that I have a procedure called radio frequency ablation done and he says that I should be helped for a period of 6 to 12 months. Has anyone on Trapshooters.com had this done and what was your experience with this procedure? Thanks. Getting old is not much fun.

2. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

JGS ,

Check with a "pain management" anestheologist about a "caudel" proceedure .

My regular "stick the needle straight in " epis were lasting 2 to 3 months (stenosis at L 4-5); 1st caudel lasted over a year .

AS I UNDERSTAND : They stick a long needle in at your cocix and run it up to the damaged area UNDER THE SPINAL COLUMN .

Good luck what ever you do with THAT problem .

Charlie

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Have you already done the conservative things (a.k.a. the really hard to do things that really help your back long term?)

Physical therapy?

Lose weight?

Get in shape?

Do concentrated stomach muscle exercises?

I'd start with those things before I started looking at invasive medical procedures. Yes, they take more time and work, but they're better for you in the long run.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oh no Jim. I've been down that path and it is the hardest one to follow!

(As I adjust my seated posture because my back is gently reminding me "posture is important!")

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

JGS---Yes i've had the RFA(radio frequency ablation). I had a 2 level fusion of L-4,L-5 S-1 in Feb. 2008. The surgery only helped partially. I then had more injections and no relief. I then had the RFA and did get about a month relief. I'm now getting ready for major surgery #2. I'm not saying RFA won't help you, it may very well do the trick but it is only a temporary thing. If it works for you the pain will eventually come back for the procedure only burns the nerve which will re-root itself and the pain will more then likely come back as well. I'm no doc and far from it but i think usually there is a more deeply rooted problem and it can be a nightmare to solve(i know). The back is one of the most misunderstood when it comes to pain. Good Luck and i mean it sincerly.---Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.