1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wolf172, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Can anyone explain what the following means. I got this from a 200 target hdycap event coming up in Ft. Worth. If I am asking to many newbie questions just tell me and I will leave ya'll alone.

David

YARDAGE PURSE (60-40) Ties Divide……….….$10.00

25’S (4) ONE MONEY – Ties Divide….………......$20.00

50”S (2) ONE MONEY – Ties Divide…………….. $20.00

TOTAL 100 (50-30-20) Ties Divide….………….....$20.00

LEWIS PURSE (3 Groups) High Gun Ea………..…$10.00

SCHOLARSHIP LEWIS PURSE (3) (One Money)..$20.00

Special Event (70-30%Buyer/Shooter)(50-30-20%)

On total 200………………………..$20.00

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Do a search before asking. It's been explained many times. They are called options.

3. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Thanks for the info 410. Did a google search for "trap options" and didn't come up with anything. Sorry if my question bothered you.

4. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

User1...LOL yeah and someone will say nooo that royal flush aint nuttin against my pair on 2's. Did read on one of the programs that you are resposible for keeping up with what ever you win. If you dont know how to detemine if you won a particular hand or not your 3 of a kind may not beat a pair. Again just curious.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Try trapshooting playing the options on Google. Mark

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I think the answer you got was uncalled for. I to would like to know some of these definitions as well. However I never put money up at any of these big shoots, I like my odds better at craps. Joe

7. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Thanks Mark, found what I was looking for. At least for the 25's and 50's.

David

8. Westie

Westie Member

I'm pretty new too. Think you will find that although many on here say they want more new guys in the sport, a lot of them are grouchy old guys that just want help for their problems. To be fair, however, there are a ton of people that will help you here too.

9. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Wolf,
    Keep searching - you will find info addressing all those options. Briefly, those are "optional" bets you can make as part of a Handicap event.

YARDAGE PURSE - you compete against shooters in the same HC yardage group as you are in (for example 18-21 yds)
    25’S - shoot 25 straight in 1 sub-event and you win money.
    50”S - shoot 50 straight in 2 consecutive sub-events and you win money.
    TOTAL - you compete against everyone - best score(s) out of 100 win
    LEWIS PURSE - google Lewis betting in shooting events ... and you will learn what this is
    SCHOLARSHIP LEWIS PURSE - just another lewis event
    Special Event = aka as a Calcutta. this option is often less "advertised". You have to put up some money as a "shooter" to enter, then during an auction you have the opportunity to "buy" yourself as a shooter, or but another shooter(s).

10. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Marine, Westie, and Blueskyshooter,
    Thanks for the info and the help. Started to make a pretty smart arse remark to 410guy but then thought maybe he is just having a bad day. Probably been all over the internet givin advise to lowly peeps like myself and just got tired of it. Hey it happens. LOL
    Thanks again,

David

11. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Thanks to you also User1. I am slowly but surely figuring it out thank to ya'll that are pointing me in the right direction and offering answers

David

12. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

David,
    You wont understand it all right away - but keep curious - and eventually it will all make sense. Another good thing to do - is study shoot "payout" sheets. Local shoots often mail the payout results to all who entered the shoot. You can find payout results online for the Major shoots - by searching. Or try RJ Stuart website.

13. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Given the above entries would it be stupid to enter this:

200 HCP = 60.00

daily fee = 6.25

25's = 20.00

50's = 20.00

Lewis Purse = 10.00

Doubles = 30.00

Total = 146.25

There is a fairly decent chance to shoot a 25 from the 22 yard line out of 200 targets. Quite a bit less of shooting 50 straight. Have never shot 100 straight and 75 only once from the 16. Shooting doubles just cause they dont offer a 16 yard event on the day I can go to the shoot and need to start aquiring those I guess. Would this seem reasonable to ya'll or a waste of money? Should I just play one option? Maybe just the Lewis Purse? This will be my first time shooting registered targets.

14. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

OK bluesky... will do that. Thanks.

David

15. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

shot410ga - there was no need for the curt and impatient reply. You are correct, it has been explained many times, and if you are tired of explaining it, there is not need to express this to a new shooter.

Attitudes like that are why our sport is perceived as not welcoming, and pushes new shooters into other sports. You SHOULD welcome someone interested in learning and invite them in with a courteous reply.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Wolf the above web link will explain some of the lewis to you. It is a system for sporting clays but from what I read it explains it quite well.

One other thing you should be aware of is in a 200 target handicap event each 100 targets pays yardage. Just so you know.

BTW the search that 410 was referring to was the search in the top right hand corner of the main page. It says Search there are three search boxes I use the middle one type in options and the pick one thousand in the number of results and you will get a list of threads that have option mentioned in them. It might prove to be some interesting reading. I doubt you ever get a thousand results but that will give you the most.

Bob Lawless

17. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

This is how I was told to play the options. I was asked "are you going to break one of the top three scores today?" I replied, "No probably not". I was then told "Then save your money." I quit playing options and am trying to get my scores where they need to be first. FYI, im saving alot of money!!!!

18. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Wolf the decision is up to you and what you are able to shoot in hanicaps as a new shooter I always found lewis is a safe bet. I am not sure a MIT graduate can fully explain lewis class and payouts. In some lewis class payouts you can win with as little as an 85. The hi guns and special events you will probably need to break between 100-96 or so. hope this helps alittle ...
    oscar

19. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try Remington dot com and they used to have a complete cashiering explanation on the site someplace. or goggle that info.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Do any of you rock heads know how to use the "search" button? And "US Marine Retired" I've probably shot a lot more trap targets than you in the last 37 years on the trap range. What did you retire as a Lance Corporal with 30 years? Maybe, I taught the new guy something. He didn't seem to be to knowledgeable of the search button, nor how to use it. I surly hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings..............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.