1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More modifications to my Browning XT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I needed the gun to balance at the hinge pin so I added approx 3/4 pound of weight to the stock, I wrapped it in leather and installed 2 cut off wad bases
    to tighten it up and hold it in place.

It now balances perfectly and is now a killer gun in buddies.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.londshot

2. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Got any pics of that hot rod Gary?

3. Dr.Longshot

StansCustoms: Here are the pictures of the modified Browning XT I think Browning should off er different ribs with the modifications I made to meet tne needs of more shooters. You cannot tell what I did to the comb as the long 12-24 screws and 10-24 nuts cannot be seen, Had to do this to get the comb up high enough to see over the rib, It would have been nice it the stock was a Monte-Carlo. Just look at how much I cut off the bottom of the rib at the front sight position. It will still shoot higher as the rib is not all the way up in the center holding position.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm pretty sure they'll let you do the West Virginia State Shoot for free with a gun like that :p

-Gary

5. Dr.Longshot

I don't want any freebies, just a gun that shoots where I want it to shoot, this proves the cheap guns shoot as good as the high priced guns.

That full choke Kick's Extended Ported tube works great.

I put CMD Grease all over the tube and threads to keep gasses from fouling the threads.

The gun has a .741 Bore and a .035 restriction full tube for a .706 opening.

It also has a Thurman Gobel release trigger completeing the job.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've got George Gobel curb feelers on mine.

-Gary

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Eyester barrel?

8. Dr.Longshot

Barrell is factory bore

Gary

9. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I am loving that rib.... Dr. Longshot, on the subject of cheap guns shooting good a while back some of us guys showed up at distant club with our P and K guns to show everyone how to really break some clay birds. There was an old man on a bench smoking a cigarette and had with him a ratty looking BT99. He sent us all home with our tails between our legs....

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

beware of the guy with the model 12 with no rib. They can also be really tough. or even the guy with the model 97 that are scarce. think that is a joke. they can send you packin also. motordoc

11. StansCustoms

Pretty cool Gary...what kind of rib is that?

Thanks..Stan

12. Dr.Longshot

StansCustoms it is the factory rib, I am raising it today just to see how high it will shoot.

Last night I shot well from the line with it from the 27 but lost a couple of shootoffs.

I will start on it in the next tem minutes, have to find or buy some more spacers.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Tee J

Tee J TS Member

I believe you are shooting as high as it will shoot by the way you have the rib adjusted all the way down. If you raise the rib the barrel goes down and so does your shot pattern. maybe I am wrong?

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Not if you raise the rear of the rib, it will shoot higher, that's why he needs to raise the comb more.

Surfer

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Haven't heard of George Gobel in years but I miss seeing the guy on Johnny Carson."</I></blockquote>Not surprising...he died in 1991.

Keller

16. Dr.Longshot

UNKNOWN your posting ID Suits you, where did I post George Goble? You need better reading comprehension, re-read my post until you get it right.

DEADON4 has it right, I am down all the way in the front and just raised the rear of the rib about 3/18ths of an inch and had to raise the comb the same anount
    to get my sight picture back.

I now have the rib at Maximum shooting height and I got my sight picture back
    with the shims under the comb.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. StansCustoms

I guess I need to take a closer look at my XT...I don't remember it having a rib that looked like that.

Is that on select models or something...?

Thanks...STan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.