1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

more misses with remington gun club?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Texas Ton, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

There may be a slim chance they don't pattern well out of your gun, but I would think you would have to get to the 35+ yard line to notice it---yes, 8 yards past the 27.

I wish I could say I was better than a GunClub, or any shell out there for that matter.

I'm headed to a shoot that promises to offer some distant targets this weekend, so last Sunday I took Gunclubs and TopGuns and started backing up, I ended up in the parking lot past the parking barriers, a good 12 yards past the 27, those I missed had nothing to do with the shells.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't believe that the lead shot in Gun Clubs is as hard as other cheapie shells like Estates or Super Targets but they are adequate for 16 yards and Doubles. The cardboard box for Gun Clubs says for real performance to buy STS or Nitros. When Gun Clubs first came out I got 65% pattern with them at 40 yards and an 80% pattern with STS shells on the same day. I use my own Green Dot reloads for 27 yard Handicap but I would not use Gun Clubs for Handicap.

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

As the proudest son of Sommerville, Tennessee (The late Great Herb Parsons) used to say:

"Now you boys and girls wouldn´t eat an apple before it was red and ripe. So never use those green Remington shotgun shells. Let ´em ripen... SHOOT WINCHESTER. Know your guns and know your ammunition.

Regards,

Berettaman7

4. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

Have shot New Gun Clubs for the past 2 years exclusively for 16's -last years 16 yard average was 98.94 on 3200 targets this year about same.Love em. shoot a P-gun no probles at all. good luck Jim C

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

People who have actually patterned, AND COUNTED, Gun Clubs tell me they pattern about 10% more open than most ammo.

Soooooo, I guess, if you were using a choke that was on the open edge of Okay with your other ammo, then the Gun Clubs might throw too open.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

mac, your observations are correct. Regarding reloads vs. factory, and smoke vs. chips: you shoot slow reloads and you have become used to the POI you get with them. Factory shells are faster, unless you shoot managed or reduced recoil loads. That causes your POI to change enough that you are hitting with the edge of your effective pattern. Raise your comb or lower your rib when you shoot factory shells and you should start centering birds again. Right now you are probably shooting under them with the faster loads.

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

zzt
    I find it difficult to believe that 40-50 fps would change the POI more than a inch or two, either horizontal or vertical. I would like to hear from the guru on that (N.W.). Not an argument, just and opinion. Richard

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Brand new Winchester promotional loads stick in my gun after being fired. It takes a ram to clear the empty shell... the thin steel expands. Both Federal and Remington promo loads use pretty cheap shot [out of round with sharp edges]-- cut a shell open and roll the shot in your palm. I prefer STS or AA handicap for tournament loads. My reloads are much more consistent and hit harder than the cheap factry promo loads -- 17.4 Clays, 1oz. Green Duster, AA primer, in AA or STS casing... 20.0 International, 1 1/8oz, Spolar gold wad, AA primer, in AA or STS casing. Fred

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Says right on the box "Gun Club Target Loads." Doesn't say practice loads any where on the box. I've used enough of them to think they don't cause one to miss, they're fine shells. Your misses are nothing but chance.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Quotes from cardboard box:

"If you shoot competitively, or under situations that demand an even higher performance target load, use the world's best - Remington Premier STS or Premier Nitro 27 Handicap target loads."

and also:

"Hard Gun Club Shot is made in Remington's own shot tower, assuring the highest-quality control standards."

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

"If you shoot competitively, or under situations that demand an even higher performance target load, use the world's best - Remington Premier STS or Premier Nitro 27 Handicap target loads."

Sure...at how much more per box? hehehe

12. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I recently opened up some Rem, Win and Federal promo loads (the WalMart stuff). The shot in the Rems was really excellent, round, and all within .003 of .090". Wins had much more variation in shot size, all the way from .080" to .095" Federal had variation similar to Win, but also had some badly deformed shot and a few welded shot.

However, I'm not sure it matters. When I'm doing my part, they all break all teh targets, and when I'm not, they all miss.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I don't know about your gun's preferences...but from 26 yards ...out of a Mod12Y full choke...they just smoke targets, even the bio's!

14. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Class A Shooter, been using Gun Clubs for 4yrs, no problems and still 40.00/flat at Dick's plus coupon every now and then............use 7.5's at the 24yd stick

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

miketmx, they have to use some kind of spin to sell the STS shells. I've opened a Gun Club shell, I can't tell by looking that it isn't STS shot. Does anyone really think Remington makes any bad shot.

jbmOU can "easily break 24-25 everytime" using Top Gun shells. You're saying you can easily break 100 straight with Top Gun but struggle to be average with Gun Club shells. At least Ahab is telling the truth.

16. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Ran my first 100 straight Handicap three years ago with Gun Club's Lite 7 1/2. Since then have shot several 97-98-99's with the 1oz. 8's Gun Club shells. I think that they are one of the best constructed "cheap shell".

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Shooting 24's and 25's with the Remington Gun Club Target loads and Dicks has them for 3.98 a box if you buy them by the flat.

Jerbear

18. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Last time I shot gun clubs I noticed they smaked me pretty good, maybe your reactions are to the increased felt recoil????

GS

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I never realized that before about the "dreaded Remington green hull curse"! Are the >gold< Nitro 27s included in the curse as well? I think I stepped on one of them and squashed it (quite by accident) a couple weeks ago? Dammit-----no wonder my scores have went down the crapper lately!!

John C. Saubak

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

You stepped on a Nitro??!! That's WWWWAAAAYYYYY worse than stepping on a greenie. 10X worse!!!! You better go see a witch dr. or something to try to rid yourself of the curse!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are remington gun club shell still being made