1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

more lunacy from DC

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by bigdogtx, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

From bite me,,,,

June 25, 2010 5:52 PM
    Biden: We Can't Recover All the Jobs Lost
    Posted by Stephanie Condon

Vice President Joe Biden gave a stark assessment of the economy today, telling an audience of supporters, "there's no possibility to restore 8 million jobs lost in the Great Recession."

Appearing at a fundraiser with Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wisc.) in Milwaukee, the vice president remarked that by the time he and President Obama took office in 2008, the gross domestic product had shrunk and hundreds of thousands of jobs had been lost.

"We inherited a godawful mess," he said, adding there was "no way to regenerate $3 trillion that was lost. Not misplaced, lost."

Claims for jobless benefits fell by the largest number in two months last week, but were still high enough to signal weak job growth. Meanwhile, the Senate on Thursday failed to pass an extension of unemployment benefits.

Biden said today the economy is improving and noted that in the past four quarters, there has been 4 percent growth in the economy. Over the last five months, more than 500,000 private sector jobs were created.

"We know that's not enough," the vice president said.

Last week the White House put out a Recovery and Reinvestment Act update claiming that between 2.2 million and 2.8 million jobs were either saved or created because of the stimulus as of March 2010. In signing the Recovery Act into law on Feb 17, 2009, Mr. Obama said the measure "will create or save 3-and-a-half million jobs over the next two years."

2. bigdogtx

hussein sure knows about US jobs,,,,how to make them go away...

Obama’s promise to bankrupt coal industry to cost 1,000 jobs in upper Midwest
    posted at 12:00 pm on June 27, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

During the campaign, Barack Obama promised to bankrupt any new coal-burning plants in the US through his global-warming policies. Congress has followed suit with a cap-and-trade bill that Harry Reid keeps promising to revive. One firm in Wisconsin shows exactly what happens when politicians intervene to attempt to conduct social engineering in the energy sector. Bucyrus just lost a $600 million project for a new coal-burning electricity plant in India, thanks to a decision by the Congressionally-funded US Export-Import Bank to deny the Wisconsin firm credit, based in part on Barack Obama’s policies:

Up to 1,000 jobs at Bucyrus International Inc. and its suppliers could be in jeopardy as the result of a decision by the U.S. Export-Import Bank, funded by Congress, to deny several hundred million dollars in loan guarantees to a coal-fired power plant and mine in India.

About 300 of those jobs are at the Bucyrus plant in South Milwaukee, where the company has 1,410 employees and its headquarters. The remaining jobs are spread across 13 states, including Illinois, Minnesota and Indiana.

On Thursday, the Export-Import Bank denied financing for Reliance Power Ltd., an Indian power plant company, effectively wiping out about $600?million in coal mining equipment sales for Bucyrus, chief executive Tim Sullivan said.

The fossil fuel project was the first to come before the government-run bank since it adopted a climate-change policy to settle a lawsuit and to meet Obama administration directives.

“President Obama has made clear his administration’s commitment to transition away from high-carbon investments and toward a cleaner-energy future,” Export-Import Bank Chairman Fred Hochberg said in a statement. “After careful deliberation, the Export-Import Bank board voted not to proceed with this project because of the projected adverse environmental impact.”

This decision won’t stop one carbon molecule from hitting the air. In fact, it will likely make carbon emissions worse. India will look for other vendors to supply the equipment, probably from neighboring Russia or China, as they will continue to build and operate the plant. Both nations compete in the same marketplace as Bucyrus, but they don’t work as cleanly as the American company does, which means the end result will be lower efficiency and more pollution.

Democrats like Obama keep talking about eeeeeevil corporations that export jobs overseas to save costs rather than keep them in the US. Well, Obama and his Congress just sent 1,000 jobs overseas — jobs Americans lost, and jobs that either Russian or Chinese workers will get instead. And instead of bankrupting this new coal plant, they just made it dirtier. Good job!

Two Democrats in Wisconsin, neither up for re-election, scrambled to find political cover in the wake of the devastating decision. Governor Jim Doyle and Senator Herb Kohl both publicly objected to the decision and promised to push for a reversal, even though there is no appeal at the Export-Import Bank.

Senator Russ Feingold, who is running for re-election, has been quiet about the debacle thus far. The most liberal member of the Senate has expressed skepticism about cap-and-trade, but only in the way carbon allotments punish Wisconsin in order to benefit California and Massachusetts — the two states where the bill’s authors reside in both the House and Senate versions of the bill.

The best way to ensure that these kinds of decisions cease is to get rid of Democratic control in Washington DC. Wisconsin voters have the opportunity to signal their displeasure with the Bucyrus decision by canceling Feingold’s Senate career in the same way that the Export-Import Bank canceled a thousand jobs in the upper Midwest

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Want to create 8 million job openings immediately? Deport the illegals and you'll have them. This is not a racist comment, since there are illegals of all varieties. How many? What was the number of lost jobs that Joe Biden mentioned? Sounds about right to me!

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Quack, yes.

I think someone should tell Biden the DEms were in power since 2006.

Fingerpointing at Bush only works for a dumb audience.

HM

5. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

BROTHER Halfmile, Retired UNION IBEW. Where did you get the Democrat info.? From your UNION newsletter. YOU HYPOCRITE!

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Flush the toilet in NOV.

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dimjim,

The Democrat info you question is available on nearly 30 different websites run by the monkeys, bedwetters and liars you voted for.

Try being informed instead of just loudly opinionated.

8. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

DUDIDIOT: So whats your point?

9. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

his point is that you rimfiredink are an clueless dolt

tell us what it is like, viewing your little world thur your belly button

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

What ROGER A said.

Thank you Roger.

Dave

11. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

That's REPUBLICAN ideology you maroon.

12. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Lets go back to the beginning when Clinton signed NAFTA. Remember when Perot said that sucking sound you hear is jobs going to Mexico?
    Since then thousands of jobs have been lost to the one world economy and govt.
    These jobs will be lost forever unless we go back to tariffs and protectionism.
    The govt cannot create jobs! They take money from the few that are working and create temporary handouts.
    If you don't have a skill and you have lost your high paying job your unemployment check will not come forever. People are going to work for less or train for a existing job.
    The problem isn't that the Mexicans are taking jobs from Americans as much is they are a huge burden on our social programs. Juan's wife has a baby we pay for while it is educated in our schools by Spanish speaking teachers while eating govt food and living in govt subsidized housing.

13. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

halfmile and bigdog, I don't think anyone can disagree that NAFTA caused the greatest loss of jobs. NAFTA, proposed under George H.W. Bush, passed under Clinton, (with republican house and senate) continued under George W. Bush (6 years republican controlled house and senate, 2 years democrat house and senate) continued under Obama (democrat conrolled house and senate so far). Do you think it looks appropriate to belly ache about the democrats when the republicans have been asleep at the wheel all these years. Its time for all the politicians and political pundits to do whats right for America and quit all the belly aching and moaning about how the other party ruined this country. They all ruined this country, by their actions and inaction.

I always voted democrat in the primaries in the past and this year I voted republican, but I always tried to vote for who I thought was best for America and I typically voted a split ticket in November. But I am convinced that there aren't enough good democrats or republicans in Washington to fill a school bus.

The politicians, pundits and bloggers, (blogger being where your thread initiated from) need to stop all the finger pointing, and work on what is best for middle class working America, because we are the ones that create the most tax revenues for this country. By the way, what the hell do all of these pundits know anyway? A "Pundit" has been defined as: "a person who has or professes to have great learning; actual or self-professed authority". How many pundits have run their own business sucessfully?

There is no doubt we need change from what we have, and the democrats will probably give Obama the nomination again. However, I can only hope that with this year's and 2012's election we get the right candidates to run and win who will get this country headed in the right direction. That is probably going to take a viable third party.

John E.

P.S. Quack, I am with you on deporting the illegals, lets add making welfare recipients pick up trash along the highways, paint benches in parks, pull weeds so on and so forth. Plus drug test them as suggested through various internet suggestions/emails floating around.

sptnclays, you are right on the money with your commentary!!!!

14. bigdogtx

Luvs2shoot,,,,just because it was from a blog,,,,doesn't change the facts here or that our government,,,,especially hussein,,,,,is PUSHING capitalism out of this country,,,,NAFTA has some to do with but there is also the tax rate here compared to other countries,,,,Ireland has a corporate rate of around 12%,,,,less regulations and frivolous lawsuits, etc.,,,,are pushing into the "sucking sound"....

Before you can make it better for the middle class, we have to have incentives for corporations to HIRE the workers,,,,why do you think that Dell Computers, et. al. have BILLIONS in cash,,,,they are not hiring until they see what is coming from DC,,,,many are still trying to figure out what the hussein healthcare monstrosity is going to cost them....

15. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Luvs2shoot. they tried to get the welfare people to do some of those jobs , but the unions steped in and said no that they would have to union wages and bennies .

16. SeldomShoots

bigunn, where and when did that happen? I have never heard of any type of government push to put the welfare people to work that was shut down by unions. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I sure never heard about it.
    I would be interested to see some factual history on that.

bdt, in your latest post you write "we have to have incentives for corporations to HIRE the workers,,,,why do you think that Dell Computers, et. al. have BILLIONS in cash,,,,they are not hiring until they see what is coming from DC,,,,many are still trying to figure out what the hussein healthcare monstrosity is going to cost them....". tex, I have owned and used Dell computers in my business since 1997. Everytime, I have called tech support in the last 10 years I have had the pleasure of speaking to people who spoke poor to broken English in India.

Dell and other companies must have all kinds of foresight to know that Obama would be president and potentially not offer them incentives to hire more and build more here, or that healthcare reform would pass that would potentially cost them millions to billions of dollars, 8 to 10 years earlier. Okay, I am being a smart ass on that comment, but it is clear that no party has done anything to prevent the loss of jobs in this country, directly related to NAFTA, coporate management and labor unions that wanted a bigger piece of the pie and greed. Also, this country as a whole is filling up with too many lazy people lacking work ethic. Part of that can be blamed on the parents not making kids work more.

As to corporate tax rate, I still liked Steve Forbes idea for a flat tax. However, have you heard any democrat or republican jump on board with that. Absolutely not! As far as too many frivolous lawsuits. Indiana and I presume most states have statutes that require the plaintiff of a frivolous lawsuit to reimburse the defender of a frivoulous lawsuit his/her/its reasonable attorney fees, and costs. The trouble is most judges never enforce those statutes, (as they are discretionary), and those judges are democrat and republican in local, county or parish circuit and/or superior courts.

As to less regulations, I like to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors, I don't have a problem with companies spending more money to produce products with less pollutants and tacking that cost onto the price of the good. But don't insult me by telling me the prices went up because of labor, healtcare costs, benefits or lawsuits. Think about this, look at carhart clothing for example. Now mostly made in Mexico and China, but the price has not come down since they are producing in these countries. It has stayed the same or gone up, so where are the production savings going? In the CEO's and the shareholders pockets presumably. But there is less money in the hands of American workers to put back into the economy.

It seems like you need to cut your strings with the republicans like I did with the democrats, or consider a career in becoming a politcal blogger or pundit. If we met in person, I doubt we would have that many differences when it comes to core values. But I think it is naive for someone to think that their party is going to save us or do the right thing. Parties and Washington are tainted with greed and ridiculous amounts of money that even the strong cannot resist the temptation. I will even back up and say that I should not have bashed George W. Bush as much as I did. He is probably not a bad guy, but he could be manipulated by all of the other crooks, easily tempted by money and power, and never had to live within a budget. Obama is no different, except he might be more of a machivellian (evil) genius. For me, I'm not buying what either side has to say, because its still all a crock of $h!t. Their actions show they are in it for themselves regardless of what they or their talking head bloggers and media tell us.

John E.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When Kerry was a candidate very few people knew that his wife's company(Heinz) had their corporate headquarters offshore to evade tax liability.

What a friggin patriot.

HM

18. bigdogtx

John,

I am similar to Ronald Reagan; I did not leave my party, my party has left me. There have been a couple Dems that I would have voted for if able, Zell Miller for one.

Neither party has the total blame on bringing this country to its knees, but one of them has overwhelming done more than the other.

Take care

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Not all Republicans are good, we all know that there are liberal Republicans, but all Democrats are evil by association. Not every Nazi Party member in Germany or every Communist Party member in the U.S.S.R. was evil by themselves, but they were all evil by association. Political Parties stand for something. The Democratic Party is on the wrong side of every issue.

20. SeldomShoots

bdt, you think there is any truth in Tim Wilson's song, "Hollywood" or "If you wanna make it big in Hollywood" ". . . that when Reagan was an actor, even he was a democrat" or something along those lines?

You say your party deserted you, well mine did too. I have just decided to cut the strings and not believe everything they say or that I hear. The bottom line is that both parties have moved away from the view of what the world and economy should be 70 to 80 years ago and what our conservative natured parents (who either lived through or were born and raised shortly after the Great Depression and through World War II) believed what our country should be.

Half, wasn't Kerry's wife a foreigner to begin with? I'm not disagreeing that offshore accounts or entities are b.s. and a means to avoid certain taxes. However, many companies do it whereas a flat tax could and should be imposed on everything. Take out all the loop holes and deductions. Talk about eliminating a lot of paperwork and IRS jobs. Further, lets get politicians in there that are more frugal about the way they spend money and for what. I see no reason to fund the arts and other studies when we have a deficit.

But, clearly Theresa Kerry wore the pants in the family not John Kerry, probably one of many reasons he didn't get elected. But the democrats were stupid for nominating him in the first place. It is like both parties pick the worst candidates they possibly can.

High, seems to me you are making a very broad and all encompassing statement that is, for lack of a better term, . . . wrong. Not all democrats are evil just like not all republicans are evil. That guilt by association thing would apply to just about every politician in Washington from what I have seen, who vote with their side or the other to get their personal agenda's passed, when they know it is a bad law or contains too much pork. As the old saying goes, . . . "Politics makes for strange bedfellows." Never has that statment been more true in the last two decades.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.