1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MORE Just ONE PATTERN.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sold this gun recently and asked the new owner if he would send me just ONE PATTERN. If a bbl cannot throw a good pattern every time, then soemthing is wrong with some part of our pellet delivery system (s). He did and I thank him for that.
    This is the gun and it has a .740 bore/.040 choke, factory original ported 34" bbl.
    mia_2008_030343.jpg
    The new owner used his fave load that cosited of standard items we all use. A once fired Rem GC hull, a claybuster fig 8 wad, a powder I have never tried, and a Nobel Primer. 35 yards was chosen as it kinda hits the middle between a singles distance and a long yardage handicap distance. What is worth noting here is his success rate of ONE SHOT proves the point. Here is his pattern.
    mia_2008_0303134.jpg
    I hope your gun patterns this well.

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I'm not quite sure what your point is

3. JACK

A lot of "Point" (s) Bill.

1) does your bbl put 98-99% in the 30" circle?

2) do you have to shoot more than one to get a satisfactory result?

3) Browning (and others) must know something about the .740 bore. Wilkinson's choice as well

I'm sure others will have an opinion. If not, I learned a lot from this empirical test.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

an advertising gimmick . How many patterns were shot to get the the one pattern selected?

Does the bore actually measure .740. My Bt100 measures .736

5. JACK

Just one Johnny. Nothing to advertise. I have nothing to gain other than showing you what we learned.

6. rustygun

rustygun Member

I'll bet Neil Winston is shaking his head about now.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

MIA, I have shot a few patterns and I assure you they will not all look like that. You ask the man for one pattern and he likely selected the best of the series and sent it to you.

8. JACK

Rusty. Perhaps. But he is a very reasonable person. This is not to flaunt he or Dr A.C. Jones work, rather what one can expect to see or you had best find out why your gun is not doing this well

Johnny. Perhaps on the .736. I recall .740, but I could be wrong about that. It did say "OVERBORE" on the monoblock? I do not have the gun in my hands any longer. So I cannot measure it again. Is yours a CT or fixed?

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I, for one, need to re-read Don Zutz' classic: "Shotgunning, Trends in Transitiion" which is a classic and covers barrels very well. The late Don Zutz, he contributed so much and is rarely referred to these days.

10. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Also, some more (slight) evidence that slower powders produce better patterns!

11. rustygun

rustygun Member

How can you call it a test,( other than a test firing) if you can't show repeat results. I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying one pattern isn't a test.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

MIA, mine is CT , no porting.

"The late Don Zutz, he contributed so much and is rarely referred to these days."

If he actually contributed so much, he would be referred to.

13. JACK

Well, now you are calling me a prevaricator. I have every reason to believe the new owner and I know of nothing to the contrary. I may use words to make a point, but this is one shot, one pattern

14. JACK

A simpler point is this. I fully expect that I can take my TMX, shoot one shot at a pattern board similar to what has been shown here and get a representative sample of what is going on in the 35 yard killing zone. And you will too, if you try. If you get a crappy pattern, you'd best shoot some addl patterns to prove what you think. I think this BT100 is going to take some turkey shoot pots.

15. JACK

Johnny. I might add that I ran this pattern and comment by the "Gun DR" and he commented with these words

Doug Braker's words form an email yesterday

"The POI seems to be about 10 inches??

Did you shoot it with the beads in a fig 8?

At 35yds with a full choke, I would expect the pattern density to show just like this.

Doug"

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

MIA, you asked for one target. It would only be human nature to send the best produced. I would have to be naive to think it is not a ringer. Shotgun patterns vary considerably, they all do.

17. JACK

Johnny. I guess that is my point. I disagree with the need to shoot a dozen. A good bbl and a good load will do this every time.

18. JACK

Neil is traveling the world. He knows I wouldn't' dare put up something like this if he were in town.

19. JACK

Same guy, same load, same gun, same result. 97% form 35 yards

But last pattern is a .750 bore, .040 Kolar.

These patterns were shot offhand and not aligned as well.

My point to all of this is that if your gun throws a good pattern once, it will do it with subsequent shots. And vice versa. If you get 80% yo can expec to get 80% the next time yo pull the trigger. Thge first two are from the BT100 off-hand. the last is the Kolar
    mia_2008_0303143.jpg

mia_2008_0303144.jpg
    and the Kolar
    mia_2008_0303145.jpg

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

MIA you might as well give up, poor old Johnny is having trouble hitting the paper. Besides he just wants to argue.

Looks good to me.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.