1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More felt recoil after reading too many threads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by just_bob, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just_bob

just_bob Member

Recoil has never been a problem for me, but when I see how concerned we are over choke size and recoil, I must just be in denile.

Really is this a serious question or are we reveling in minutiae?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

We _love_ minutiae.

In fact, we revel in it to the point of exclusion of all scientific evidence to the contrary.

Anyhoo, I still think them redheads is nasty. One of my buds digs them...but I think he's sailing down a river in Egypt.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I decided to reduce the powder in my reloads from 17.5 grains to 17.499 grains. The recoil from that extra .001 grain was killing my shoulder.

;-)

Easystreet

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Better yet...I'm gonna heat the end of my barrel up with a torch, and flare it outwards real good...like one of them there "blunderbusses." Then I'm gonna have Jim Brown cryo-treat it (to relieve stress) and market it as the most significant achievement in recoil reduction since Browning's overbored barrels (now that's saying something).

I won't be able to hit sh__ with it - but I'll talk one heckuva line of crap in the clubhouse about it (and if you don't believe me, I'm gonna have Michael Diamond come kick yer ass...)

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Actually, ES, a reduction from 17.5 grains to 17.499 grains may be a reduction or not. From 17.500 it would be for sure, though.

How's that for munitiƦ?

Neil

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

just_bob

"Recoil has never been a problem for me, but when I see how concerned we are over choke size and recoil, I must just be in denile."

Bob I don't believe that recoil has ever been a big enough problem for anyone that it them to go from a Full choke to a Cylinder choke to shoot handicap with.

Please don't let it work on your mind the concerned shooter that started that thread would like nothing better.

Bob Lawless

7. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

A 12 ga. kicks lets all get over it!

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've never been to Egypt. (;-)

I sure would like to see deNile one day, but doubt I ever will.

Hauxfan!

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have pills that I sell at large shoots that actually reduce the recoil effect, no matter if you load 17gr. or 18.5 grains of powder. Most people who buy them claim they will reduce the recoil effect for up to 200 birds in one day. Play it safe and buy 2 pills, there only $10 each.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Neil, Neil, Neil.... shame....

Lol

Jim

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neil,

The significant digits Nazi.

He shamed me with that once, too.

12. Neil Winston

tim, while many would agree with the term you used, I prefer "facilitator of greater understanding" commonly shortened to PITA. I'm just carrying on the campaigns of two great physics teachers, Chief Wonson at Blake School and Ben Whistler at Middlebury College, neither of whom was nearly as diplomatic as I when straightening out significant digit problems. Wanson punctuated his views with a flying eraser which was fine in the 50's but would probably land him in hot water (212 degrees F. or 100 centigrade or 372 Kelvin) these days. And oh by the way, that goes for you too on that other thread. Fig was _not_ "less gifted" than the Ikester; he was "differently gifted."

I get no credit for what my interest has gotten all you ATA shooters, none at all! Open up the 2000 Average book to the rules, and reflect on the progress made. No longer do reloaders with adjustable charge bars have to fiddle with getting 31.89 gram shot charges ( a degree of accuracy hard to fulfill even for them.) In fact, they they don't have to do anything in metric at all. Past-President Kaiser and I pounced on the rest of the EC in a weak moment and all that Euroblather is gone, baby, gone.

Traps can be set to 34-degree spreads instead of 34.24. Illegal angles are no longer specified to a tenth of a degree - you remember all those arguments whether an possibly-illegal bird was at more or less than 59.2 degrees. All through the book numbers have been changed to reflect the accuracy reasonable, not what comes out of a calculator when you plug in the numbers and don't worry if what comes out makes any sense.

You see, good comes of this in the most unexpected places.

Neil

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

AMEN, brother!

14. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Neil, please be more specific for these fellas,,your 212 deg. boiling point is only good at places like New Orleans,,(sea level) now if you were to go up to Denver you could get water to boil at about 202.89 deg.

Thanks, I knew you would agree,,,,,,

15. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I thought some parts of New Orleans was below sea level??? Something like -6.5 feet?

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Neil,

I'm sure you meant 100.0 Centigrade, not 100...I trust you'll agree it's to the benefit of science that the boiling point of the Earth's definitional substance be known to more than 1 significant figure.

17. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Rick Barker,,I was refering to the house on Bacon street,,The front yard is 6-1/2' below sea level but if you go up 4 steps into the kitchen and the stove is 3 feet above the floor,,,duh,,,sooooooooo there you have it,,,tada!!!!!!!!SEA LEVEL!!!!!!!

18. Neil Winston

EE, I thought so too. So I checked and didn't read the top conversion carefully enough. You are right.

And Buzz, that's a terrific point, since many would call 100 three, though the zeros are placeholders. But I don't think 100.0 is needed. "100." will do the job, I think, and be more consistent with the accuracy of the other examples.

Neil

19. Rick Barker

OICU812

My bad, I'm sorry, please forgive me. I am at 5280 plus feet and get light headed and can't think straight sometimes. I never thought about the height of the stove. I have never been to N.O.

20. Rick Barker

O.M.G. Sea Level!!!!

Is that a factor we should further consider?

When shot at higher elevations, like Denver, are factory shells shooting, farther, "harder", faster with more recoil because most of them are loaded at or close to MSL?

Would this in turn produce greater recoil (felt) at higher altitude especially when shooting in a extra full choke?

Should there be an astrisk in all scores shot at higher elevations in T&F, because the traps set by measurement rather than radar require less spring, therefore the targets fly slower and the shot faster?

"Oh, the horror"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.