1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

more durable, perazzi or kolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sean justice, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

which do you believe is more durable.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Kolar hasn't been around long enough to evaluate their durability. When you show me a Kolar with 3,000,000 rounds fired and still functioning then you can begin to judge their durability. There are more Perazzis in major competitions than any other shotgun brand and their design is time tested. How's that for taking the bait? JRM

4. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

if there are no problems with a Kolar ?

some will not have anything to WHINE about ?????????????

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What the man said. When we see some decades old Kolars with several million rounds through them, we will know. The Kolar has had its share of problems and design upgrades.

The Kolar is like a school bus when compared to the sleek Italian racing machine.

BTW, one can get the lower performance coil springs on a Perazzi.

6. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

what do you mean nicks around firing pin holes, and what does this affect? i love both mine , i just seen a killer deal on a kolar,

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Having never owned a Kolar, I'd say Perazzi's are more durable.

8. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

when i said both , there both perazzis

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go ahead and buy a perazzi.....and get a kroger sack full of hammer spings. I've had 2 break while stored in the case. LOL (true story)

K O L A R= American made and bullet proof.

10. kolar12

kolar12 Member

You don't get a "kit" with a Kolar.

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

INCOMING !

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sean... I have seen both guns break down at one time or other. The main problem I have seen with the Kolars were their early release triggers. Lots of problems. The problems I have seen with Perazzi's were their trigger springs. I have broken a few of them myself. The difference is this: When a Perazzi trigger breaks a spring, you replace it and keep shooting. When a Kolar trigger breaks down, you are done shooting that gun. I really can't tell you which gun is the most reliable as I've never owned a Kolar. I do, however own a 1982 DB-81 Combo that has had a LOT of rounds fired through it. It's just now on its first rebuild at the Gun Doctors shop. Not too bad service from a gun that is 25 years old. I have shot both Kolars and Perazzi's and I can tell you one thing about a Perazzi for certain: They are much more fun for me to shoot than a Kolar is, and they handle so much smoother the difference is really noticeable. I would say whichever one you go with, they are going to be about the same in durability over the long haul. Just get the one you shoot the best and don't worry about repairs. EVERY trap gun made will need servicing at some time or other....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

TM1 needed a new lock lots of rounds too many to count.

TMX broke a fireing pin while shooting gun would not open. I was not impressed with the pin when I saw it out of the gun it was not too thick kind of spindley. I still have and like both guns

BT 99 no repairs yet hard to beat for the money bought both mine used 550.00 for one and 800.00 for the other.

I never owned a Kolar but have looked at them some and they are sure solid and HEAVY.

Seems the big dogs prefer Krieghoffs for that money I would buy a K gun.
    All guns need service and will all wear with time and use some better than others.

14. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

Kolar! Granted if its mechanical its bound to break sometime. But its funny to always see Perazzi shooters carry around extra triggers, i havent seen trigger pouches made for Kolar yet.

15. shark1

shark1 Member

Kolar is one gun I will own one day. I can comment on Perazzi stating they are the best most wonderful shotguns when working. Perazzi is like Ferrari they need, up keep (tune ups) triggers. I am a Perazzi guy my self but must admit, the springs go at the worst times. I change mine once a season need it or not. The older the Perazzi the better, mine was made in 1974 the last year for the SC1. I will not sell it and I am probably going to use it again for this up and comming season.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

It's unknowable.

Toyota's are about the best cars made...but I can find a guy who broke one driving it home from the dealership.

Dan Thome has hit it very close with his comments that at least you get to keep shooting a perazzi when the spring goes. Yes, they go at bad times - obviously, ANY time you're on the line (which is when most guns break, duh!) is a bad time to have something crap out on you.

Yeah, I spend about $50 a year on springs and pins, and my 3 year old gun has been rebuilt once already - but then again, I shot 34 bags of shot this year BEFORE JULY. And this spring wasn't particularly heavy...leagues, practice, registered, skeet, f-ing around at the club, sporting, it all adds up.

The knowledge that there's a spare trigger in my case and 3 springs and 3 pins beyond that is very comforting.

Get what you want. Both are fine guns. Both have advantages and disadvantages. If you're in the market for a high dollar gun and are worried about buying a couple springs, you're worried about the wrong thing. Or you're spending more than you can afford.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Little difference.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sorry guys, the fact that you have to continually replace springs, regardless of how easy, is not an indicator of durability.

19. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

My coil spring TMX just keeps going and going and going... And I can do all the maitenance myself.... and it cost 1/2 a used Kolar.

I'd like to own a Kolar one day, but the TMX will have to do for now.

Besides, TMX is such a COOL moniker.... Kind of like GTO or DB-9. Eveyone knows what it is and wants to have a look.....

20. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have been on the line when every brand of gun has failed. The only one that returns to the line is the Perazzi. As stated above they all break but it sure is nice to be able to continue and finish the event with the same gun. JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.