1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MORE COMPUTER HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WWB, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

You'all did so good helping Esox thought I'd take advantage of your knowledge also..........
    every time I close a program or sometimes an attachment I get an error message saying that Explorer 7 has encountered a problem and must close....then asks if I want to report it --hit yes then I have to close it and bang I am back on my desktop-------I use comcast.net and Explorer as my browser......
    Don't know who to call at microsoft for help--can't find any numbers.....
    Thanking you in advance.........
    Bill

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Bill,

Two of Microsoft's numbers are 1-800-642-7676 and 1-800-936-3900.

I have forgotten which is better to call but the trick is getting information from a department that offers it without a $59 charge. If you reach someone who says that they will transfer you to "X" department but that there will be a charge, refuse to pay it and say you only want information and not a "fix".

Good Luck,

Rollin

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

RottenLuckWillie

It would help to know what operating system you are using. Is it XP or Vista? Do you have any BHO's or add ons installed (Yahoo Tool bar, Google Toolbar, etc) If so, are they all updated? You can see if there is a problem with an add-on to Internet Exploder by opening a "clean" version of IE by going to "Programs"/"Accesories"/"System Tools" and opening the Internet Exploder (No Add Ons) version. If that version works without any problem, then you will need to do some detective work. You simply open up the IE regular version, go to the "Tools" menu, go to "Manage Add-Ons, and then simply disable one or more add ons at a time until it stops misbehaving. When the bad behavior stops, you found the culprit(s). You may have to dig a little bit to list ALL of the add ons. Either update the add on and hope the newer version, if available, has a fix, or remove it since they are trouble prone anyway. If you are running Google Toolbar along with Yahoo, they sometimes don't play well together. I personally don't use that crap and don't know why so many people need to have it. Either go to Yahoo, MSN, or Google and search from their page instead of blowing up a perfectly good system with crap ware.

You may also have a bug or have been subjected to a rogue program or hijacker.

Another solution is to download and install Firefox or another alternative browser.

4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy TS Member

I would also recommend using Firefox. It is faster and is more stable than IE. go to Mozilla.org for a free download and then have it import your bookmarks.

5. WWB

WWB Member

ROLLIN/QUACK/BIG DADDY

Thanks for your help fellas.....am using XP/ wasn't doing it on the old explorer and I just dumped Mozilla to try Explorer--maybe have to go back to it eh?
    Quack I am going to print all that advice out and see what I can come up with.
    I did finally get a microsoft number from Comcast--got a Pakastani named Debby whom I could only understand well enough to learn that it would cost me 50+ dollars to get a fix!! Heck with 'em!!!
    I may be going back to Mozilla.
    Bill

6. whatta_attitude

whatta_attitude TS Member

Either update IE or use firefox save yaself some hard earned money...
    Sandie

7. whatta_attitude

whatta_attitude TS Member

Either update IE or use firefox save yaself some hard earned money...
    Sandie

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

RottenLuckWillie

XP is just a little less buggy, but it's probably one of those IE Add ons. I just had a Vista machine that had a similar issue as yours. When you would cloose the browser, it would crash. Disabled ALL of the Yahoo stuff as I described above, and it hasn't skipped a beat yet. It takes a little experimentation, but it usually gets you in the ballpark. The last XP machine I encountered with that issue, needed an update to the Yahoo toolbar to fix it.

I would try some of the Microsoft forums before I'd pay some Microsoft Flunky to assist me. Follow the link above for a step by step diagnostic adventure from the "source"!

Here's a few places to start:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.